Softwater Watch 2013

jedimaster

Was out driving around... starting to see some open water forming... About 1 foot of open water at the public launch in Port Perry on the weekend. The trent by 12 is open water, not sure how far that extends towards the lake. The harbour area of the bridge between cooch and simcoe is open water about 500 yards on either side of the causeway... Not much else to report on...Looks like a cold month at night still, the speckle lake might still be frozen for the opener.

I live on Shebeshekong lake north of Parry Sound and was out ice fishing on the weekend and we still have 30 inches of ice it will be a while yet as they are calling for cold tempuratures at night last year ice was out after the first week of April.

Cheers Mitch...

Getting nervous, 4 day trip to the park for opener and not much activity up there right now :unsure:

That's going to be tight. If there is no ice that water is going to be so cold you'd probably have better luck ice fishing!

I live on Shebeshekong lake north of Parry Sound and was out ice fishing on the weekend and we still have 30 inches of ice it will be a while yet as they are calling for cold tempuratures at night last year ice was out after the first week of April.

Cheers Mitch...

That makes me want to drive up and get out on the ice one last time

We have bumped our trout opener for the park by a week. two years ago the speckle lake we fish was still partly covered with ice and we got skunked.

Think I should move it by a week? I just want to get there before anyone else fishes it this year...

I am hearing from a couple of guys in the north country (central Ontario) that there is still 15-25 inches of ice on the lakes up there and a some Algonquin regulars have pushed there trips back to the beginning of May and they are telling me that they are expecting ice out around May 1st . I think all lakes north of hwy 60 and even some south in Algonquin will be ice covered come the opener as well from past experience you need the water to warm up a bit and get the whole lake ecosystem moving again for optimal trout fishing (1-3 weeks after ice out is the best) If you time it right due to late ice out , this spring could be a good one :good:

If I here of any more conditions in the next couple weeks I will let you guys know . If I was you CK I would be pushing your trip back a week !

Yup, we pushe our trout trip ahead 2 weeks this year. Its always nice to be first on the lake, but not very often does it mean the best fishing.

The best spring troutin is when the bugs are just starting to bite.

I had to make a dump run about an hour ago and noticed most creeks are running free including Nogies...the bays are still frozen and look pretty solid...methinks Cliff is right...about another two weeks...

The big river in town never did freeze over this winter but the ice was gone from Pigeon by the end of March last year...