Is it worth it to own a motor boat?

sleepjigging

I have been offered 2 boats. 12 footer with trailer and a 30 footer. It is not the cost of the boat but the cost of upkeep that worries me.

The boating season is 8 months/yr. = 32 weekends/yr minus time for family commitments.

Background: I have a full time job, 9-5. I plan to get the pleasure craft card. I have a long drive way to store a boat. I know that 9.9HP motor = no insurance. I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2011 with 350HP, and intend on putting on a towing package with transmission cooler.

One friend said that it's better to use someone else's boat. Someone said to me, a big boat is a big hassle. And the 2 happiest days for a boat owner are: the day he bought the boat and the day he sold the boat.

Is it worth it?

Sleepjigging

I plan to get the pleasure craft card.

Required for any power boat.

I know that 9.9HP motor = no insurance.

No insurance required by law for any pleasure boat in Ontario.

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2011 with 350HP, and intend on putting on a towing package with transmission cooler.

Not needed for a 12 footer.

Most likely not enough vehicle for a 30 footer. Unlikely it would have a high enough towing capacity to pull a 30 footer. Also if your combined vehicle/boat weight is over 4500 kg you require a yearly safety on both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Get the 12 footer and enjoy it.

A 12-14 foot aluminium with a 9.9 has super low upkeep....

My first boat was a 14 footer with a 9.9 2 stroke and trailer.... In 4-5 years of HEAVY use I think I spent $200 on the outfit.... Some bearings for the trailer.... A few light bulbs.... A tire.... Not much.....

Then I sold the outfit for almost double what I paid for it.....

So I'd say its worth every penny and then some.... Just get a basic outfit with an old 9.9 2 stroke.... You'll be soooo happy....

Take the small boat mike your van will not pull the 30ft boat at least not safely or it will be over weight what kind of 30 ft boat is it like a cabin boat or flat open boat ??? Weight matters don't forget your front wheel drive transmission gets expensive real quick??? We need more info

And the 2 happiest days for a boat owner are: the day he bought the boat and the day he sold the boat.

Sooooo true!

Even though I was feeling remorse as I watched my last much beloved boat, motor and trailer roll away behind someone else's truck I almost shed a few tears and felt like I should be waving good bye to a friend going off to war but my emotions soon turned to glee!

Owning can be a hastle. The cost, crowded boat ramps, ignorant boaters, maintenance, storage....even a small 6hp can be a p.i.t.a because anything, doesn't matter what it is breaks, it is a bother.

If you can use it often and get the use out of it that it was intended for then it can be a very worthwhile. If you have rotating days off work then launching and fishing during the week in almost deserted waters is a charm. Weekends, long weekends in particular are a waste of time in my opinion.

If you have a buddy or a relative that takes you along in his boat then go for it! Don't even give ownership another thought! Be generous with him. Pay for the gas and oil, pay for launching, buy lunch, provide the drinks. If he refuses compensation still be generous, break open the piggy bank and give him some usefull gifts anything would be appreciated in the long run! Open up the wallet and be giving! It is much better than ownership and cheaper too! The worst that can happen from this is an invite the next time.

Happy fishing. :Gonefishing:

Owning a boat is like owning any other form of toy; if you get the use out of it, it’s worth its weight in gold.

I really miss and at times regret selling my 16 footer; but then when I sit back and think of the times that I would have been able to use it this past season; not many for whatever reasons? Priorities change and I’m hoping that someday when things begin to slow down for me; I’ll have the health; want, time and money too own my own boat again.

So to answer your question, is it worth it? :dunno:

Dan.

Before I bought anything---I would assess my needs

If your headin out with a family of kids on the Great Lakes---I'm sayin that 12 footer will not meet your needs---

I agree that used 30 footer may be quite an issue---incl towing

My boat progression went from-----14 foot lite tinny----too small for big water---went to 16 foot lund----crowded as family grew---went and got me a Heavy smokercraft----best thing I ever did

A 30ft boat is going to cost you a minimum of 5k a year in upkeep, dockage, insurance + your fuel. They are a lot of fun provided you can afford it. A 12 ft'r with a 9.9 will cost you a hundred bucks or so a year in maintenance and you can take it where you want. A 30ft is not easy to move around. You'd need a 1 ton pickup to tow it.

I'm a long-standing owner of runabouts, fishing boats, sailboats and power cruisers. I've come up through the ranks, and have some experience in many, many boats (the 2 most recent ones were 45' and 48' footers).

The costs of ownership are predictable over the long haul. If you fill in some blanks about that 30-footer, I can tell you pretty closely what it will cost to own/operate. Make, model, year, power, gas or diesel, twins or single, inboard or I/O, age of electronics, generator, slip or trailer etc. Assuming it's not an overgrown war canoe, I can tell you for certain that your van won't tow it.

Pleasure boating is not an inexpensive hobby. And for the most part, the bigger the boat, the bigger the costs. Only can decide if you want to make the investment/commitment. If you love it, there's no other way to get your fix. If you don't love it, it can be a monkey on your back, always nagging at you with worrysome repairs, maintenance, and upkeep.

Depends on how much value you'd get out of the boat and then weigh that against the costs. If you're like me and fish a lot then the value far outweighs the costs and it's a no-brainer and well worth it. If you don't see a lot of usage in it's future than I'd look at the decision more closely however a tinny isn't that big a commitment or maintenance.

I have been offered 2 boats. 12 footer with trailer and a 30 footer. It is not the cost of the boat but the cost of upkeep that worries me.

The boating season is 8 months/yr. = 32 weekends/yr minus time for family commitments.

Background: I have a full time job, 9-5. I plan to get the pleasure craft card. I have a long drive way to store a boat. I know that 9.9HP motor = no insurance. I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2011 with 350HP, and intend on putting on a towing package with transmission cooler.

One friend said that it's better to use someone else's boat. Someone said to me, a big boat is a big hassle. And the 2 happiest days for a boat owner are: the day he bought the boat and the day he sold the boat.

Is it worth it?

Sleepjigging

A 12 foot tinny is the best investment you can possibly make. Cheap to own, cheap to run, no headaches, countless benefits.

30 footer of any description is a whole other breed of cat. Unless it's a big freighter canoe, you're not towing it with your minivan. Or with ANY minivan, for that matter.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Thank you very much everyone.

I'll stick to a small aluminum boat with a 9.9HP outboard. (If I buy.)

I like the second option. I'll get my relative to buy one:

If you have a buddy or a relative that takes you along in his boat then go for it! Don't even give ownership another thought! Be generous with him. Pay for the gas and oil, pay for launching, buy lunch, provide the drinks. If he refuses compensation still be generous, break open the piggy bank and give him some usefull gifts anything would be appreciated in the long run! Open up the wallet and be giving! It is much better than ownership and cheaper too! The worst that can happen from this is an invite the next time.

Sleepjigging (hope to be SleepTrolling)

Is it worth it?

Sleepjigging

If you have to ask, I'd say; too many hassles.

If you go with the 30... you'd better have some damn good bow candy to throw out there, as the boat isn't good for much else when it comes to fishing at least! The 12... you can have the time of your life, on almost any water body with some preperation and thought pattern.