Quinte's Play & SlayGround!!!

Moosebunk

On the heels of muskie fishing down on LSC, arriving home there was every intent to begin plying Quinte waters for some of those late season, piggy walters. Problem was, Sandy and a weeks worth of gnarly weather, along with work, had other ideas in store. I was forced to wait...

2010 & 2011 efforts on the Bay stacked up pretty much even. Six trips apiece, both years 35 walleye came boatside and a number of friends achieved personal bests while riding in the Lund. For me, it was that fun and social aspect, as much as the challenge for great fishing, which held my interest for BOQ through to this new season.

Watching the forums and aware that this years start was about two weeks behind my usual schedule, it didn't appear as though much was being missed. Simply meaning that, numbers were down for most reports and even tourney events seemed to be slow. The Bay eyes didn't appear to be in too thick yet.

Throughout the early fall at home, when the odd walleye itch did need some scratching, I tore myself away from the smallies for a few outings on the local ponds. One afternoon in particular, lake to myself, the bite was so on that twenty feisty fighters came over the gunnels. And another day, while bass fishing from the float tube, a said to be "extinct-from-the-lake walleye" surprisingly tapped on the line.

Autumn12-023-1.jpg

Autumn12-025-1.jpg

Autumn12-073.jpg

Autumn12-071.jpg

Autumn12-072.jpg

NOV5. GUESS WORKERS.

Not until two weeks ago on November 5th did the "The Stealth Bomber" along with an eager cargo of eye-pilots finally take flight down to the BOQ. No real idea of what we were getting ourselves into for the day, Len, Mike and I, simply laid out a six-spread eduumacated guess and put the boat in drive.

Fingers crossed it took a couple minutes... but Len happily fired out the season's first.

Autumn12-126.jpg

Autumn12-125-1.jpg

Up next came Mike... then me... then Len... then Mike... then me... then Len... then Mike... Actually, a few incidentals kinda messed things up at one point, I think..? In no time the three of us were working great together handling the rods, boat, net and fish to achieve some great results on the water. It was the first tour that The Bomber actually ran six rods and it went quite smoothly. Addictive actually.

Finishing the 7-hour day a little more than satisfied, it felt good laying a first trip smack-down on the golden-browns... and a baaaaahhh!!! Mikey is no stranger to the boat as he's always an eager trip partner, but Len was a first timer in the Lund. After a couple fish outings with Len now, he is more than welcome aboard again. Mike and Len had actually never officially met either, and it was evident the two had much in common. By all accounts it was a productive day out fishing, and the company was great. Two stand-up boat-mates I hope to see soon.

Autumn12-127.jpg

Autumn12-128.jpg

Autumn12-129.jpg

Autumn12-131.jpg

Autumn12-132.jpg

Autumn12-133.jpg

Autumn12-134.jpg

Autumn12-135.jpg

NOV6. CHILD'S PLAY.

This was a promise made to my little one back when her big sister got the chance to fish gar this past spring. In truth, planning and knowing this day was coming, I'm not sure if it was me or Leah who was more excited. A cold day out, Leah, my father and I managed a shortened 4 1/2 hours on the water which started at a reasonable morning hour for all. Because I let her skip school too, her homework before bed was to write the story about her day. These are Leah's words, and this is her story...

Dear Daddy, "About My Day Fishing." By Leah.

First we were driving to Quinty Bay. It was a long drive I thought it would be a shorter drive. There was beautiful waters when we got there.

I was going fishing with Mooshoo my Grandpa, and my daddy. I knew right at the start that it was going to be a very fun day but cold. And, it was a very fun day. I think I ginks it. For a few times in the boat I was bored because no fish were getting a bite to eat. But, fish always did come like maybe every ten, twenty or thirty minutes.

When the fish came I got excited that I would be able to reel them in and take them home to eat. For the ride my daddy caught one fish which was a walleye. Mooshoo caught two fish a walleye and a sheephead. I caught five fish, four walleye and a sheephead. My dad really caught all of them but he just reeled them in till he got the bord, me and Mooshoo did the rest after.

My favorite parts of the day was the biggest fish I caught my second or third walleye. The ride back because we went really fast. And last but not least, the treats and hot chocolate we brang. Mooshoo brang the treats with our lunch toona sandwiches.

The funny part was when daddy wore my pink fuzzy hat. Also when I started being a little annoying and started singing. That was funny.

I had to put the tab thing up till it hit 100 or 150. After that it started making weird clicking sounds, then it stopped. It started clicking just a little that means there is a fish biting the hook.

The first fish we were gonna catch was big and heavy but, we lost it. That fish probably was a walleye. Mooshoo's sheephead was dead I think because it was floating in front of the boat. That was also funny. In total of the walleye we caught is six and for sheepheads we caught two.

There was also a ship that was close, the waves came here so I grabbed on to Mooshoo and the waves rocked us back and forth, back and forth.

The holl entire day was fun. Daddy and Mooshoo made me get a picture with all of them but, I made daddy do one or two pictures with the fish me and daddy both caught. Also, the fish were very, very scuirmy and slimy.

This turned out to be the most incredible time fishing Leah, Mooshoo and I have ever shared. Proud papa and Grandpa moments with our littlest one. She got her PB and first walleye which was an almost (but by all accounts) ten pounder, and she made it through the experience happy. After her second fish and first catch, out of the blue she says, "Dad, when you're dead can I have your fishing rods?" Albeit a little morbid, I think she's definitely my girl. Mooshoo too even up'd his personal best walleye this half day. Had we managed to be fishing sunrise to set, I'm sure our expert family trio could have fished Quinte right out.

Autumn12-146.jpg

Autumn12-137.jpg

Autumn12-136-1.jpg

Autumn12-141.jpg

Autumn12-143.jpg

Autumn12-138.jpg

Autumn12-144.jpg

Autumn12-147.jpg

Autumn12-145.jpg

Autumn12-148.jpg

NOV8. MOVEMBER MAN.

Leaving the ice at Huffs one evening, there were these three last light anglers who had come out and set up nearby. Walking on by them, one dood hooks into a solid walleye and upon landing it the hootin' and hollerin' began. Watching from afar, I could only yell over and announce to them, "awesome fish."

That night at OFC a member whom goes by the name of Abberz posted his 14lb catch. I dropped him a line to say hello.

A last minute call evening before fishing, thankfully Chris jumped in to fill the seat. Our time on the water started slow and we put in a full eight hours to catch what we could. Nearing sunset things turned on a little though, and by quitting time we fished some respectable numbers with a couple sheep in the mix. Chris being a genuine, down-to-earth, easy-going, true outdoorsman, it was a pleasure sharing the boat for a day and I'm already looking forward to the next time.

Autumn12-149.jpg

Autumn12-150.jpg

Autumn12-152.jpg

Autumn12-153P.jpg

Autumn12-154.jpg

NOV14. GREEN MACHINE.

"Greener" and I were the two smallest lads on our hockey team back when we was just tykes to teens. Pretty sure he played left wing, while I was center or right. Growing up we went to highschool together and from time-to-time would see each other in passing, or at some party somewhere. Moving home a few years back it was great to bump into Paul one day, and even better to find out he has a healthy passion for fishing.

This fall there's been no other guy more hyped about returning to BOQ for some walleye action. First week the buggah had to cancel on me a couple times because he not only had a baby, but he lost his job. Crikey!!! Come my second week planning to hit the Bay though, Paul had a greater sense of urgency after witnessing a weeks worth of fish slaying through my timely and tempting Facebook picture posts.

He couldn't have picked a better day. A full tour on BOQ we hammered out 12/12 and both picked up our personal best walleyes. It was one wicked tour which we'll both be remembering for a long time. Betting he won't put me off next year either... unless he has another baby. Great day with Paul.

Autumn12-158.jpg

Autumn12-156.jpg

Autumn12-157a.jpg

Autumn12-161.jpg

Autumn12-162.jpg

NOV15. PICKEREL PICKER.

Picked up Hobo Joe on the mean streets of Odessa enroute to one Fast Freddy's gas and chipstand. Well no not really. But, my ole Nip and Temagami trippin' pal Keith found gap in his cool work sched of 8 on, 6 off to spend a day rippin' the rough morning seas of one Adolphus Reach... aka... Quinte. I enjoyed the man's retro-redneck style and eagerness to get his fish on!!!

Kinda don't like fishing the Bay when it's rougher though, and usually don't need to. East wind picked up overnight and running the Reach was a chop for just the early morn. Right off the bat with the boards out and winds sailing us west, it seemed the bite was a little off. That and, the fish had moved some. It took an hour or so for the first walleye to hit, but hit it did. Keith being a newbie to Quinte, I let him reel in every fish of the day.

We plugged away through the hours and as time went on the winds eventually dropped to the point the lake went glass. More boat traffic than usual dotted the horizon and a few remained floating about near to us. Very few rods were seen moving all day and reports of skunks back at the launch later on gave some relief that we did pretty darned well, and Keith even picked up his best walleye.

Keith has always remained a good friend over the years and having not seen him since last autumn, fishing the Lake O eyes was the perfect venue for catching up. Plans to not wait so long next time and instead enjoy the winter ice were hatched, so now ice trippin' is on the brain too. Here's some fish from the day...

Autumn12-163.jpg

Autumn12-164.jpg

Autumn12-165.jpg

NOV18. SMOOTH & Bass.

Today was it. The final Quinte go for the season. Six outings over two weeks just feels like enough at this point... Although, after today and the fun I had with two new fellas I had never met before, aboard "The Bomber," I may have to reconsider.

Rob aka Smooth, and, Rob aka Bass, are two guys who came online at a local fishing forum in just recent years. Both met while fishing one day, and they formed a quick friendship. Like many do, they post the odd video or fishing report to the forums and have recently decided to team up and create a Blog-based site to catalogue their exploits. Much of it for me has been pure entertainment. It's totally evident they share a genuine passion for fishing and a mutual respect for one another. And, it's obvious they have talents with making videos, taking pictures and finding fish in cool places. A short time ago, after some back and forth messaging with both these doods, I knew we'd all have to get out for a fish in the near future.

Winds from the east... AGAIN!!! Not a favorite at all for Quinte and to top that off it had been sustained east winds for a few days. It was also Sunday, the day after a busy Saturday which reportedly had about 70 boats on the water. But that said, I kinda wanted to go combat fishing and see how the boat fares in a crowd. Once meeting Smooth & Bass come 5:45am with a frosty morning handshake at my place, that "wanting to go" increased by a million percent. Loved that fresh energy from these two, to go and do something they have never done before.

Couple hours into the day we had only one fish lost. The fellas never griped about a thing. Fishing was kinda slow but we kept at it. Remembering back to the first time I ever fished Quinte, an absolute technical angling guru and walleye educator, kept me on the end of every word for our entire day. And, even though we only caught one little dinky fish, by days end I felt so rich for having had the experience. Sadly for the doods in my boat, I'm not that guy... so I really needed some fish on the line for 'em.

Our time went by far too fast yet by days end it all came together. Smooth & Bass both picked up new personal bests, with one real tank in the boat, one perfect specimen and one walleye that was probably the oldest living in the lake. Pretty certain both appreciated the opportunity to taste the big waters and fish those eyes, and I can honestly say it felt good to end the season on such a high note with this fun company along in the boat.

Autumn12-166.jpg

Autumn12-174.jpg

Autumn12-169.jpg

Autumn12-170.jpg

Autumn12-173.jpg

Autumn12-172.jpg

44 hours for 44 fish, on par with 2010 & 2011. Sheephead numbers were down this year. Walleye were a total of 32 with 7 anglers picking up personal bests and no one missing out. Next time I see a Quinte eye better be through the ice. East winds still suck. Fish do move off spots and searching does become inevitible at some point. Although I rarely product plug, I loved my new TFO Gary Loomis salmon/steelhead casting rod that ran the inside right board for six trips and was always the hot stick. There was no hot lure though, or sustainable pattern, only adjustments needing to be made on the water. Everything fired at some point and for the past two weeks the fish were home in the Bay of Quinte... still feeding... like they oftentimes do.

Keep it reel.

Bunk.

I see the tooth fairy is broke these days!! :whistling: I'll have to come back to this one, gotta get to bed, have to be in SF for noon tomorrow for a funeral.

She pulled another one last night. Tooth fairy paid up but stupidly left it sitting out on the nightstand where Leah found it next morn. She stuck it back under her pillow tonight in hopes of making double. Wayne, that toothless smile of hers right now is too happily infectious for me. :D

And, I do work the night tomorrow and will be snoozing late afternoon, but if you need to stop in I'll be here man.

I read your posts and feel so very jealous of the fish you catch and at the same time happy that you make the time to catch these fish and create these memories! But then who doesn't feel all of these things when they see the pictures and read your posts! ( Awesomely taken pictures)

Leah's nail polish, was a perfect match to the bronze on the walleye. It appears she already knows how important it is to match. You on the other hand do not dad! LOL

Thanks for sharing! Through much more that just posting!

Edited by Jen