Tip Up...

TJQ

Hey I just posted this:

http://ontariofishingnetwork.com/2012/frabill-engineers-the-first-intelligent-tip-up/

Im interested in what people really think about that kind of gadget on the ice. Over the years Ive tried just about every contraption known to man. But I always wind up going back to my old wooden tip up...

what makes it a gimmick or gadget?

if it does what it says it does, then its not a gimmick.

its the same design as a conventional wooden tip up, just with a digital readout of depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOQ6cTI_Rd4

if it works as it does in the video, thats exactly what i would want it to do. not very gimmicky

probably the same guys who hated on braid before trying it

what makes it a gimmick or gadget?

if it does what it says it does, then its not a gimmick.

its the same design as a conventional wooden tip up, just with a digital readout of depth.

if it works as it does in the video, thats exactly what i would want it to do. not very gimmicky

probably the same guys who hated on braid before trying it

Laura is hot. I'd take her out ice fishing.

My guess is it freezes solid in about....oh....5 mins. :rolleyes:

Gimmick!

S.

X2

we had something similar, we called it the "flag bagger", didn't work worth a pooh, it froze solid when it was cold and not very sensitive

there's something about the old wooden tip-ups, when you've got a few set up, you're standing around chatting, and somebody notices one tip-down, you drop your drink and start running like Usain Bolt

I actually think the delay in having to run for a tip-up often hooks more fish

While I have a few tipups I no longer use them as they just don't work very well up here. They are fine for one fish but then they freeze solid due to our balmy arctic temps.

This thing would be no better.

Now if they made a nuclear powered version that kept the tipup and hole from freezing I'd be all in!!!! :lol:

How many feet down is my bait is not crucial information...how high off the bottom and in how many FOW is what I need to know. This doesn't tell me that.

I've never once said, "I wish I knew exactly how much line this fish has taken,"...I look at how much is left on the spool and have a pretty good idea.

Unless you leave your tip-ups unattended for any real length of time, you don't need to know how long ago one has been tripped. I look at them every few minutes...therefore I know a raised flag has been so for no longer than since the last time I looked at it and it wasn't tripped...5 or 10 minutes at the very most. I've fallen asleep in my hut with a tip up set inside and woke to find it tripped...but I'd rather have a buzzer that ends my nap as opposed to a timer that tells me for how long I've ignored a strike.

$44? Not worth it to me.

Edited by fishNwire