Chrome-Magnum

solopaddler

I can't speak for Mike, but I've been running almost the same rig this year and I've only found a few that will stand up.

Gammy Octopus in size 6 or better, and Raven Octopus Strong also in 6 or better.

True. I've found that the thinner wire ravens just don't cut it, even of 5 drennan tipet.

The Raven octopus strong seems like a better hook but it's a thicker wire than I prefer.. I'll have to give them a try though.

cheers

True. I've found that the thinner wire ravens just don't cut it, even of 5 drennan tipet.

The Raven octopus strong seems like a better hook but it's a thicker wire than I prefer.. I'll have to give them a try though.

cheers

I'm still searching for the right hook.

I should have mentioned that my landing record is absolutely awful this season. I'm hooking more fish than ever before, but pulling a ton of hooks.

Might be simply that I'm not so worried about landing them anymore, and most fish are on full lockdown as soon as theyre hooked up?

What I'm trying to say is I've been on a terminal tackle search ever since I went to the XST 3 piece for bigger water. I finally found a lead that I like, that seems to stand up to the abuse I give it, but hooks are still a challenge.

Kemper, are you straightening hooks or just popping them? My hookup/landing ratio is pretty good.. If I get hooks into them, they rarely if ever come off.

Although my Loomis IMX and IM6 is nothing like that XST, lol!

Edited by BillM

Kemper, are you straightening hooks or just popping them? My hookup/landing ratio is pretty good.. If I get hooks into them, they rarely if ever come off.

I was straightening hooks, until I went to the octopus strong.

Problem is, they just aren't great and a lot of fish come unbuttoned after 5-10 seconds.

If I really try to fight the fish carefully I bank most of them, but the fight is so much better when you really put the boots to them on heavy equipment.

Next experiment is those Kamassans.

Sorry for the hijack Mike. :ninja:

Also have a new build in the works to tone it down a touch when I'm not on the big water... stay tuned for that one.

Sweet giant chromers, Mike! Thanks for sharing. Those fish naturally invite discussions about hook strength, for sure. Pulled hooks are possibly the number one cause of lost steelhead, at least in my own experience!

Daiichi are good but kamasans are the best IMO. I've tried other shapes than you suggest and have always had good results.

Of course, if you can get them on jigs, those bigger hooks are the best.

P.-

Edited by Paulus