Retirement

Squid

48 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice of retirement waterfront locations, where would you settle south of North Bay?

• French River?
    • Kawartha's?
    • Trent River?
    • Lake St Clair?
    • St.Lawrence?
    • North Bay area?
    • Parry Sound
    • Goergian Bay?

You know me Pete, I would have settled on the West Arm of Nipissing but Diane wanted the K-Lakes region and a happy wife makes a happy life.

But it's not too bad here either :thumbsup_anim:

My waterfront retirement location is south of North Bay, but it isn't in Canada.

My winter location is South West of North Bay. :)

My summer location is West of North Bay................WAAAAY West. ;)

One is in Canada the other...................not so much!!! :lol:

Pete, I am aiming for Prince Edward county area myself. Bay of Quinte, Wellington and other waters within a short jaunt for both hunting and fishing. Hospitals and for some reason the 401 just seems faster for getting to the big smoke if need be.

Edited by Harrison

French, lots of species, very diverse, away from any urban setting. Gonefishing.gif Of course I'd really like to look at some thing like dryden, north eastern quebec or maybe christmas island. wink.gif

Same here. Dryden was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, local hospitality was amazing and the fishing was out of this world. Thunder Bay would be a close second.

Niagara Region. 1 hour or less to a pile of trophy fisheries. Smallmouth, Perch, Walleye, Steelhead on Erie. You have the upper and lower Niagara River. The Salmon fix can be treated on Lake Ontario. The real estate on the North shore of Lake Erie is still reasonable as well.

I would actually like to retire on Lake of the Woods but it would be too far away. Ultimately my decision will be made by my 3 year old son when he grows up. Wherever he settles down and raises a family I will want to be close by.

It's really nice to dream and yes, most of the above places would be nice but often, especially if you have a spouse, you're never going to want to be very far from medical services. That's the reality for most folks of retirement age. There's also, as Grimace said, the fact that your children shouldn't be too far away unless you don't mind only seeing them once or twice a year. If you're both healthy and you can retire at a young enough age, these 'realities' are less important.

It's really nice to dream and yes, most of the above places would be nice but often, especially if you have a spouse, you're never going to want to be very far from medical services. That's the reality for most folks of retirement age. There's also, as Grimace said, the fact that your children shouldn't be too far away unless you don't mind only seeing them once or twice a year. If you're both healthy and you can retire at a young enough age, these 'realities' are less important.

No spouse and no kids (as far as I know :) ) so here I come Bulkley valley in BC during the summer and probably Costa Rica in the winter. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

I think you hit the nail on the head Roy. I chose were I live now because of the excellent medical care available. There is lots of water near by and the services and places needed to get things done. A place to escape is nice and a camp or cottage is a luxury that we all would like and with planning it can be part of the retirement package we all seek.

Art

If you had a choice of retirement waterfront locations in Ontario, where would you settle south of North Bay? Why?

"been there,done that"

001-26.jpg

I am a "tad" north of North Bay though.

Lots of lakes,great hunting,4 1/2 hrs from ThBay,3 hrs to Winnipeg & realestate prices that won't break the bank.

OK have to admit,not fully retired,started working 3 days a week :whistling:

But Lew's is best because he's 'in the middle of everywhere'! :Gonefishing:

Your absolutely right Gerry.

I'm smack dab in the middle of a whole bunch of fantastic lakes here, yet I like to travel to big fish waters regularily and it's only about 4 hours east to the Ottawa and St. Lawrence Rivers, west to LSC and north to my favorite place in the world, the West Arm of Nip

Life is good :thumbsup_anim: