Retirement

Squid

48 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice of retirement waterfront locations, where would you settle south of North Bay?

• French River?
    • Kawartha's?
    • Trent River?
    • Lake St Clair?
    • St.Lawrence?
    • North Bay area?
    • Parry Sound
    • Goergian Bay?

Your absolutely right Gerry.

I'm smack dab in the middle of a whole bunch of fantastic lakes here, yet I like to travel to big fish waters regularily and it's only about 4 hours east to the Ottawa and St. Lawrence Rivers, west to LSC and north to my favorite place in the world, the West Arm of Nip

Life is good :thumbsup_anim:

Lew for some real good fishing and peice and quit cross the bridge in Ottawa next time and head north east .... don't worry at all , they speak english after a while .

Niagara Region. 1 hour or less to a pile of trophy fisheries. Smallmouth, Perch, Walleye, Steelhead on Erie. You have the upper and lower Niagara River. The Salmon fix can be treated on Lake Ontario. The real estate on the North shore of Lake Erie is still reasonable as well.

Works for me :thumbsup_anim: Can see the lake from my front yard and be at the launch in 2 minutes. Didn't have to use the snowblower 1 time last winter :clapping:

Edit: you'd be surprised at the cozy smaller bungalow you can get for $150K in the ads for the Fort Erie, Ridgeway , Crystal Beach area.

Edited by dave524

When Sue and I decided to look for a place to retire we looked at everything from The French River to East of Peterborough. After 4 1/2 years of looking, we decided on the Lindsay area for many reasons.

Excellent medical facilities, if and when we do need them, that was a big thing for us because of Sue's heart problems.

We wanted a place that felt like country but was close enough to big city stuff if we wanted it. There are still some reasonable priced waterfront properties if you know where and what to look for. There is a great variety of fishing and hunting available within an hour of our place and if you do decide that retirement doesn't mean not ever working, there are plenty of jobs available for those that do want to work.

Winters tend to be less severe than up North or even down South and gas is always about $0.06 a liter less than anywhere else around.

Lastly, I can fish right here winter or summer, even right off my dock if I choose to and catch a wide variety of fish.

It's really nice to dream and yes, most of the above places would be nice but often, especially if you have a spouse, you're never going to want to be very far from medical services. That's the reality for most folks of retirement age. There's also, as Grimace said, the fact that your children shouldn't be too far away unless you don't mind only seeing them once or twice a year. If you're both healthy and you can retire at a young enough age, these 'realities' are less important.

One of my buddies parents moved to South Carolina, and then back here again a few years later when it dawned on them he still had to work for a living and couldn`t just take off every time they called needing help.

I considered moving for a short time, but my whole social and family network is here. To me it does`t seem reasonable to move to a distant location and expect people to travel to you?

One of my buddies parents moved to South Carolina, and then back here again a few years later when it dawned on them he still had to work for a living and couldn`t just take off every time they called needing help.

I considered moving for a short time, but my whole social and family network is here. To me it does`t seem reasonable to move to a distant location and expect people to travel to you?

By the time I retire I won't have any family left. :(

But the locations I have chosen for my retirement (best salmon and steelhead in Canada in the summer and best inshore/off shore saltwater in Costa Rica in the winter) I don't think I'll have any issues getting my friends to visit!!! :whistling:

Pete my heart would be with the French or maybe the West Arm but my head would steer me to the Kawarthas. As many say pretty central to everything, good hospitals in the area and I would only be 2 or 2 1/2 hrs from my kids and grand kids. Wanna go 50/50 on a compound?

Kawarthas for my wife and I.

Retirement is less than a year away now, and a year ago we found the place we wanted on Sturgeon Lake.

Close to Lindsay. Lindsay is a good sized small town and offers good medical care, decent shopping and services. Far enough from the GTA that people are pleasant and the pace is slower, but close enough that you can zip back to civilization when you need to.

Far enough north that we get a real winter but not such a crazy winter that you have to flee from it.

And more Tim Horton's than you can count! What's up with all the Timmy's here?

Edited by whiskywizard

We retired to Wasaga Beach. We love it here and think it's a good balance between being 'way out there' where med services and modern conveniences are hard to come by, and being in the big city where a minute's peace and quiet is equally hard to come by. We never would have thought of Wasaga but our friends bought here first. They originally had decided on Deep River but chickened out(or came to their senses) when they realized how far they would be away from family, friends, a groc store, hardware store etc etc.