Trout fun

MJL

Since trout opener, I’ve made a few forays to the streams in search of brookies & resident browns. By far they are the prettiest fish we have in Ontario and definitely some of my favourite fish to catch. It’s certainly a change from steelheading though. Pin-point accurate casting, hero drifts underneath log jams and ghost-like stealth are required. Study to be silent and disappear. With gin clear water and high sun, it was a challenge. Aside from my fishing gear, I also brought along my camera gear in the hopes of taking some nifty shots.

Brookies

IMG_4544z.jpg

IMG_4598a.jpg

IMG_4845z1.jpg

IMG_4700z1.jpg

IMG_4333zb.jpg

Browns

Yesterday I hit 7 different streams over the course of 14hrs for wild browns. In 2 of the streams the browns were just insanely coloured up. Vibrant yellows, reds and many with big leopard spots. They fought with reckless abandon and many tail-walked and jumped like a steelhead. Lost 1 biggun around 6-7lbs to the wood :(

Smashed a panther Martin

IMG_4868a.jpg

IMG_4947x.jpg

IMG_4982z2a.jpg

IMG_5052z2.jpg

IMG_5076a.jpg

IMG_5122a.jpg

Camouflage

IMG_5229a.jpg

IMG_5337a.jpg

21 inch warrior that lost a bit of its tail

IMG_5291a.jpg

I also managed to sneak up to 1 shallow riffle and take a few shots of browns holding in the current and feeding.

IMG_5621b.jpg

IMG_5631a.jpg

IMG_5732a.jpg

IMG_5740a.jpg

IMG_3351-1.jpg

Yesterday I also discovered 1 stream just loaded with brookies. Ironically it was some of the toughest fishing I’ve ever experienced for them. They were just too smart. :lol:

I did land a small handful though on extremely tiny nymphs my friend tied up for me (I borrowed his 0wt fly rod for the day which made even tiny fish feel big.LOL)

IMG_5806b.jpg

I felt like a kid again exploring new waters and hunting down fish yesterday. The blood sucking bugs were also totally absent which made the trip even more awesome. I walked the distances through thick forests and muddy bogs to find some amazing spots – It was therapy for the soul.

Can't believe you put in another full day yesterday haha, and you were rewarded! I was exhausted after Saturday.

Awesome pics! Don't worry I'll catch that 6-7lb brown that you lost next week. :whistling:

Wow great report, 14hrs and 7 streams that is just incredible. My brother inlaw did the samething yesterday minus the beautiful pictures. I used my fly rod and he used his ultralight, we hiked a gorgeous stretch of river for about 5hrs and caught some nice fish. The ultra light with spinner outfished me because he could get his spinners into all these little pockets. I had been wishing I packed the ultralight along as well. It was just the perfect day for it.

Lost 1 biggun around 6-7lbs to the wood :(

Now you know how I feel.

While going through your pics, I was looking out for the big buck brown that violated me last year.

Soooo glad you didn't get him :D

Did you try for him in that wood?!

Fantastic photos. The fact that you're out there by yourself taking these shots is awesome.

One of these days we'll get some half and half shots with the angler in the background :)

Edited by frozen-fire

Incredible shots! Given the rain we had last Thursday, I'm surprised you were able to find water that clear. I'm shopping around for an underwater camera and was wondering what you are using.

Thanks in advance,

Jon