Gun help NF

chris.brock

I also just completed my Firearm safeties, just waiting to mail in my application (restricted and non).

I have also had my eye on the 870 combo from Lebaron's.

Where would one find a used 870 for sale?

I was hoping to be ready to hunt this fall. Or if I can find a loaner, turkey this spring.

Scratch that last part. I guess I will have to wait until my license comes in :sleeping_02:

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by farsider

ellwood epps, williams arms and gagnons all sell used guns. The other place you coulch check is canadiangunnutz.com or one of the other fishing websites also does hunting stuff. Your best price on a used 870 will come from a person that just bought a winchester... baaahaha

Edited by jedimaster

Remington 870 EXPRESS

PROS- Receiver is milled from solid steel,Tons of add on's and upgrades available, easily disassembled for cleaning, great combos available for a good price.

CONS- Quality has slipped in the last few years, Rust is a problem, laminated stocks tend to swell when wet, single shell extractor.

Mossberg 500

Pros- Dual shell extractors, Tang safeties, Great combos available, easily disassembled for cleaning, passed US military testing (includes 3000 rounds of 00 buck down the pipe) becoming a standard issue shotgun before the Benelli M4 S90.

CONS- Aluminum receivers (i prefer steel), camo paint flakes off, plastic safety and trigger guard (military spec is metal)

BPS

Pros- Bottom eject for the lefties out there guys beside you in your duck blind will thank you, great walnut stocks with nice bluing on all metals, back bored barrels, tang safeties, Milled steel receiver.

Cons- Little bit more in price but still cheaper than a Wingmaster, weight, ad on's extra barrels are big $$, disassembly for cleaning can be a pain.

I havent shot Benelli Nova's enough to offer opinions on it, the Super Nova seems pretty slick thou amazing how it soaks up the recoil from a 3.5 shell.

I have a few M12 Winchesters that are great, love the slam fire on them (hold the trigger down and pump).

As stated before, these guns (870,500,BPS) if maintained and used properly will out last you, and for the price you don't have to worry about dog scratches, dinging it of rocks, rain, and all the other crap you put it through.

Thats my 2 cents

Semi,s are for lazy mothers.Ya it,s easy to trigger, trigger, trigger.But,pump,trigger,pump,trigger,pump.trigger.That,s a shooter. IMO

It,s easy to just go, BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG.

:dunno:

If that's the case, over/unders must be for superheros!! LOL

Gimme a semi over a pump any day.

870 fan

3 1/2 is a big cannon

i run a 3 and it will take out anything in this province

Put another down for the 870...

I have and 870 supermag and not a single issue, jam, misfire are what ever.

Probobly not the "best" gun out there but it works well, and is not a bank buster either.

As far as an "all around Shot gun"...it fits that critera well.

Seems to be pretty popular, so thats gotta say somthing....just say'n :whistling:

Semi,s are for lazy mothers.Ya it,s easy to trigger, trigger, trigger.But,pump,trigger,pump,trigger,pump.trigger.That,s a shooter. IMO

It,s easy to just go, BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG.

:dunno:

handy when you're shooting doubles....

Jaspers On Point :

I have a few M12 Winchesters that are great, love the slam fire on them (hold the trigger down and pump).

I used to do that when I was a kid!:thumbsup_anim:

I just got my PAL, I'm looking for a reliable, all purpose shotgun. I was thinking a Remington Nitro Mag. I'm not sure what I'll be doing hunting wise, so I'd like to keep my options open.

I like the 28" barrel, Rem chokes and 3.5" chamber. I can also buy a rifled slug barrel.

any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.

Hi Chris. Lots of good info here. I also do not recommend a 3 1/2 inch chamber. 3 inches of chamber is lots. Yes....the 12 gauge is the all purpose shotgun. A 28, 20 or 16 gauge shotgun shoots pellets just as fast as a 12 gauge and for the same distance and at full choke all will put 75% of their pellets within a 30 inch circle at 30 yards. The only difference is the number of pellets, and the weight of the gun.

Yes....you have to consider how much you want to pay. Yes, it's nice to have a fine grade shotgun but you get so worried about scratching it that it can remove some of the fun.

The 870 Remington with the black plastic stock and 3 inch chamber, variable choke tubes is still a good buy. I forget the model name but every gun store has a few of these in stock.

Yes....these pump action guns will get smoother with age. I guess they are not as good as they once were but I doubt they are not all that bad either. Only the people who have had problems speak out. The 99.9% of those who have never had any problems never gripe about their buy. Yes, you can buy a rifled barrel for the 870 with no problem. Try out the smooth barrel at the rifle range to see if you really need the rifled barrel.

If you don't like cleaning a shotgun after every outing, buy a single shot 12 gauge. However, you will not get the variable chokes etc.

If you love to take apart and clean your guns after every outing then you could buy a semi-auto.

For waterfowling, the pump action 12 gauge shotgun is the most popular by far.

Edited by Dabluz

I also just completed my Firearm safeties, just waiting to mail in my application (restricted and non).

I have also had my eye on the 870 combo from Lebaron's.

Where would one find a used 870 for sale?

I was hoping to be ready to hunt this fall. Or if I can find a loaner, turkey this spring.

Scratch that last part. I guess I will have to wait until my license comes in :sleeping_02:

Cheers,

Mark

hey, be prepared that it could take alot longer than the 45 day maximum the RCMP says it will take to actually get your PAL in your mailbox, mine took about 3 months and I was calling/ bugging them consistantly near the end.

thanks guys for the opinions, seems like people are pretty passionate about their guns.

I'll go down to Lebarons one day soon (I understand the older models are better built, but I want my 1st gun to be new), I'm still leaning towards the Remington despite the naysayers, they have the 870 express with a 20, 23 and 28 inch barrel trio, 3 inch chamber for $534 (I get 10% off with my members card thing), I'll take a look at that and whatever else they show me, thanks again for the info

Yes, it takes the fun out of us arguing.....LOL :rofl2:

I have a Browning Sweet Sixteen that was my second guy I ever purchased brand new in 1974 (1973 model, it's stamp on the stock if you remove the steel butt plate)....I paid $314.00 then.......now you can purchase a Remington Express for around $200.00....that alone should tell you what you're getting in today's market.....today that Sweet Sixteen would fetch a easy $1000.00 and I would have guys fighting over it as it's in near mint condition.

The Browning Auto-5 is a recoil operated autoloader compared to today's gas operated models....it gives you a push rather then a kick is the best way I can describe it......you have to shoot a Browning Auto-5 to appreciate one.

Now that's not to say all Remington's or Mossberg's are junk...as they are not....but the newer models they are now selling....well I wouldn't want one.....but for a newbie he will think it's the cat's meow....until someday he fires a fine firearm.....then that crowbar will be a under the truck seat gun

we don't really do the "under the truck seat gun" thing here in Oakville

Edited by chris.brock

thanks guys for the opinions, seems like people are pretty passionate about their guns.

I'll go down to Lebarons one day soon (I understand the older models are better built, but I want my 1st gun to be new), I'm still leaning towards the Remington despite the naysayers, they have the 870 express with a 20, 23 and 28 inch barrel trio, 3 inch chamber for $534 (I get 10% off with my members card thing), I'll take a look at that and whatever else they show me, thanks again for the info

That combo is enough gun to kill anything in Canada!

Ya can't beat the price!

S.

Let the slamming begin

Okay i have got to come clean here a bit.

I do like 870 but about 10 years ago I bought a norinco 870 knock off with an extra rifled barrel for about 315 out the door I sent the smooth barrel up to epps had the forcing cone opened up and had it laser ported ports are up and back cut

I have to say i dont shoot any thing else and I have stoned a wide variety of critters with it. It is a continual winner at turkey shoots and cleans up nice all you got to do is be nice to it it has stayed tight its in 3 inch and probably had a few thousand rounds anyway

I have never had a jam the only other things i did to it was put a pistol drop on it and a red dot I did that before it was ported kick is very minimal it was a mule before. all this was done for under 600(total price of gun included) pardon the pun it is a bullet proof gun. Im not a big fan of made in china but I looked at it this way they have been playing around with stuff that goes boom longer then anyone else. I bought it from a shop in hamilton cant remeber the name though you have to buzz the door to get in.

Just my 2 cents

Peter

Ya can't beat the price!

S.

Just to save you some time. I called a few places (Tremblays, Epps, BPS). Nobody would price match the $534 at Lebaron. Walked out of there with a new gun, scope for the deer barrel, sling, and hardware for mounting everything for under $800 tax in.

Just to save you some time. I called a few places (Tremblays, Epps, BPS). Nobody would price match the $534 at Lebaron. Walked out of there with a new gun, scope for the deer barrel, sling, and hardware for mounting everything for under $800 tax in.

nope cant argue there

Let the slamming begin

Okay i have got to come clean here a bit.

I do like 870 but about 10 years ago I bought a norinco 870 knock off with an extra rifled barrel for about 315 out the door I sent the smooth barrel up to epps had the forcing cone opened up and had it laser ported ports are up and back cut

I have to say i dont shoot any thing else and I have stoned a wide variety of critters with it. It is a continual winner at turkey shoots and cleans up nice all you got to do is be nice to it it has stayed tight its in 3 inch and probably had a few thousand rounds anyway

I have never had a jam the only other things i did to it was put a pistol drop on it and a red dot I did that before it was ported kick is very minimal it was a mule before. all this was done for under 600(total price of gun included) pardon the pun it is a bullet proof gun. Im not a big fan of made in china but I looked at it this way they have been playing around with stuff that goes boom longer then anyone else. I bought it from a shop in hamilton cant remeber the name though you have to buzz the door to get in.

Just my 2 cents

Peter

You could of saved yourself a lot of time and MONEY by just purchasing a Mossberg 500 slugster......barrel is already ported, fully rifled with cantilever mount for you Red Dot or you can choose one that has only rifle sights on it....and it's made right here in the U.S.A. and out the door for less then $300 or about $350 with a bird barrel and 3 factory chokes included.... :)

You could of saved yourself a lot of time and MONEY by just purchasing a Mossberg 500 slugster......barrel is already ported, fully rifled with cantilever mount for you Red Dot or you can choose one that has only rifle sights on it....and it's made right here in the U.S.A. and out the door for less then $300 or about $350 with a bird barrel and 3 factory chokes included.... :)

Could of Should of Would of but didnt

Im still a happy boy and will go toe to toe with it against any other shottie ....remember its the shooter and the gun helps a bit

Peter

Thanks for everybodys input.

hey, be prepared that it could take alot longer than the 45 day maximum the RCMP says it will take to actually get your PAL in your mailbox, mine took about 3 months and I was calling/ bugging them consistantly near the end.

Thanks Chris. My instructors gave me the lowdown as well. 2 to 12 weeks to get my test results back from RCMP, only so I can mail in my application...to the RCMP. 28 days to 3 months to get my license back. Thats why I had sort of resigned myself to fall.

Just to save you some time. I called a few places (Trombleys, Epps, BPS). Nobody would price match the $534 at Lebaron. Walked out of there with a new gun, scope for the deer barrel, sling, and hardware for mounting everything for under $800 tax in.

I was under the impression that Lebaron had the exclusive on the three-barrel combo. Let us know how you like it. What range will you shoot it at?

Cheers,

Mark

I have a Remmington Wingmaster with a 36" ribbed goose barrel. This is a beautiful gun especially since my father bought it for me when I was 15. Now at 60 years old it's still beautiful. Not a big hunter , more of a fisherman but it is a great gun for my length of arm when skeet shooting.

Bill

In 1996, my house was visited by robbers and they stole my firearms. Anyway, the insurance company covered my losses. To replace my old Savage 67 pump, I bought a Remington Magnum Express 870 (3 inch chamber). This is the black model with synthetic stock.

It was way better than the old Savage but I only shot a few rounds out of the 870 because I was too busy fishing in the fall to go duck hunting. I sold it along with 3 choke tubes last year for 350 dollars. It was in mint condition. The new owner is very happy. I even sent it to the motel where he was staying so he could use it while on his fall hunting trip.

I still do a lot of small game hunting but I have a 28 gauge Remington single shot with a legally chopped off barrel. And I still have my Winchester model 59 12 gauge autoloader with a fiberglass barrel. It's terribly light and fast.

OH WOW, I don't know where to start......lots of mixed up info here....

First if you just purchase a Remington Express 870 it will be chambered for 3" shells and of course 2.75" shells.....if you want a Remington 870 that is chambered for 3.5" shells you will need to purchase a Remington Express 870 Super Mag.....even the Remington Wingmaster (a very fine gun) is only available in 3" chambers....all of these firearms will show what shells can be fired on the barrel.

The price difference from a 3.5" shell to 3" and 2.75" shells is significant IMHO......take a box of Federal Blackcloud ammo for duck hunting...Using Cabela's site....3.5" cost $27.99 per box compared to 3" at $22.99 per box or 2.75" at $16.99 per box....that adds up real quick during a long season of waterfowl hunting.....this is why many guys soon after purchasing a 3.5" chambered shotgun tend to get 3" shells after the first season with their new shotgun.

The 3.5" chambered shotgun is much heavier and overall larger to accommodate those heavy hitting magnum shells....

And last but surely not least......NO ONE should EVER use a shotgun to fire at a deer at 175 to 200 yards......that a distance a fine tuned rifle can only make with the right skilled hunter pulling the trigger. Wounded whitetails can go MILES when hit by a poorly placed shot, even with large caliber rifles. A 12 gauge sabot slug sighted zero in at 100 yards drops off 9.9" at 175 yards and I have no idea how much more it drops at 200 yards....either way that is not a shot I would ever attempt with ANY shotgun. It's just not a response-able shot anyone should make.

Happy Hunting,

Bob

lmao...

so, just how many extra ounces do you consider MUCH heavier?

you might not be capable of shooting at those ranges, but many are. a sabot properly matched to your gun is more than capable at those ranges. anyone disagreing with that is stuck in the rifled slug/smoothbore