Gun help NF

chris.brock

Comparing the Remington 870 Express to some of the finer shotguns out there is like comparing a old 14' leaky tinny to a new high powered Ranger. But if that's all you have shot, you might think its a great shotgun....but it's not. :)

My father has been a collector of guns for 60 years. I have shot ones with value and ones with out. I know what I am talking about when it comes to a shot gun which will hold up and shoot with the best of them. It's the person who aims the gun and not the value of it.

The guy wants to buy his first time shot gun. Not to start a dust collection. You can keep going on about what you know now. :lol:

My father has been a collector of guns for 60 years. I have shot ones with value and ones with out. I know what I am talking about when it comes to a shot gun which will hold up and shoot with the best of them. It's the person who aims the gun and not the value of it.

The guy wants to buy his first time shot gun. Not to start a dust collection. You can keep going on about what you know now. :lol:

:worthy: :worthy:

Thank you. You clearly know what your talking about.

The rest of these guys are just bragging about what they use.

For a first shotgun, you can't beat an 870. First thing is to learn to shoot.....From there, the sky is the limit. I've gone thru some fancy guns, and I always end up with ole trusty when its game time. It also doubles as a push pole, paddle, pry bar or crutch if you need it :clapping:

I don't even take care of mine. I didn't clean it once last season, and I hunt A LOT more than most, in some nasty conditions. Try doing that with your "fine" shotguns. Good luck!!

S.

That's nice your dad collects guns....I don't...But I have been shooting them for over 40 years.....there are cheap firearms and then there are fine firearms....you get what you pay for....NO EXCEPTIONS......

Now I could of recommended what I shoot....LIKE YOU DID....but I didn't...I just tried to educate the OP on what to watch for when buying a firearm, as this is what he requested.....not what firearm I like to use.....maybe you should take your smart :asshat: back to the beginning of the thread and reread it as you already proven you know nothing about firearms to me.

That's nice your dad collects guns....I don't...But I have been shooting them for over 40 years.....there are cheap firearms and then there are fine firearms....you get what you pay for....NO EXCEPTIONS......

Now I could of recommended what I shoot....LIKE YOU DID....but I didn't...I just tried to educate the OP on what to watch for when buying a firearm, as this is what he requested.....not what firearm I like to use.....maybe you should take your smart asshat.gif back to the beginning of the thread and reread it as you already proven you know nothing about firearms to me.

If theres one thing i know for sure, without a shadow of a doubt, is that rednecks know guns, and guns know rednecks.

I would take BB's advice over many other son called gun collectors any day.good.gif

Now I could of recommended what I shoot....LIKE YOU DID....but I didn't...I just tried to educate the OP on what to watch for when buying a firearm, as this is what he requested.....not what firearm I like to use.....maybe you should take your smart :asshat: back to the beginning of the thread and reread it as you already proven you know nothing about firearms to me.

A scattergun is a scattergun. I'll stick to what works tried and true. If a shinny piece is what you like that is fine.

I know you could put the best up against the 870 and lose only because the guy pulling the trigger has a shinny piece. Just because you’ve shot guns for forty years doesn’t mean you can hit anything with them. The scattergun included of course. :P

If theres one thing i know for sure, without a shadow of a doubt, is that rednecks know guns, and guns know rednecks.

I would take BB's advice over many other son called gun collectors any day.good.gif

Oh quit your crying. BB's are what we are talking about. :thumbsup_anim:

It would seem someone has their panities in a knott from an old PM messege. ;)

A scattergun is a scattergun. I'll stick to what works tried and true. If a shinny piece is what you like that is fine.

I know you could put the best up against the 870 and lose only because the guy pulling the trigger has a shinny piece. Just because you’ve shot guns for forty years doesn’t mean you can hit anything with them. The scattergun included of course. :P

I had to read that 3 times and I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make.....but you got one thing right....I'm not the best shot with any of my shotguns....but I'm better then average and I make up for my shot comings with my rifle....

But I will still stand on what I have been saying the "NEW REMINGTON EXPRESS 870" is crap.....it's actually a embarrassment for Remington who has a long a deep history making some of the finest firearms carried afield.....and don't get me started on the NEW REMINGTON 700's that they are putting out there.... :rolleyes:

Oh quit your crying. BB's are what we are talking about. :thumbsup_anim:

It would seem someone has their panities in a knott from an old PM messege. ;)

OH MY, you do like to resort to personal attacks I see.....argue with facts not attacks is the best way to prove your point. Try it, you might like it.

I had to read that 3 times and I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make.....but you got one thing right....I'm not the best shot with any of my shotguns....but I'm better then average and I make up for my shot comings with my rifle....

But I will still stand on what I have been saying the "NEW REMINGTON EXPRESS 870" is crap.....it's actually a embarrassment for Remington who has a long a deep history making some of the finest firearms carried afield.....and don't get me started on the NEW REMINGTON 700's that they are putting out there.... :rolleyes:

It's always been the lowest model and cheapest for what it is. You still have to point and fire.

Maybe you can now go back and read what the guy was asking for. :clapping:

It's always been the lowest model and cheapest for what it is. You still have to point and fire.

Maybe you can now go back and read what the guy was asking for. :clapping:

I understood his request and replied accordingly.....maybe you should re-read it as nowhere does he ask about Remington Express 870.... :whistling:

Oh quit your crying. BB's are what we are talking about. thumbsup_anim.gif

It would seem someone has their panities in a knott from an old PM messege. wink.gif

rofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

NAH.............nah......s'all water off a ducks back now, or something like thatw00t.gif .

I never got why 870 guys get so pissy when people complaign about a new 870 express stovepiping a low brass shell. I have personally had a newer 870 express and it was terible. I did my reasearch and apparently the issue is with the new chambers of the new 870 expresses's....Notice I said new 870 express not the 20 year old ones... the new 870 expresses. Not the 15 year old one your papa gave you, not the one you bought in the early 80's...

Anyway the chambers are not polished enough and do have a reported and well documented issue with stove piping lowbrass shells. This is well documented and is not fiction made up.

It can be fixed by polishing the chamber, but that doesn't negate the fact that there IS a problem.

I have also heard if you ram the son of bizaatch home hard everytime its very unlikely to jam. However in the field in the heat of the moment people will sometimes ginger it back and thats when they have issues.

Now I can tell you this, my winchester 1300 speedpump would eject the shell on its own if you hold the pump with light back pressure. To get the next round in your just pushing forward. Smooth as butter. I have also shot a benelli supernova, and I liked it but the action is not nearly as smooth as the 1300's.

The newest batch of winchester pumps are also very smooth.

As for the auto 5's I think I must be the only one that thinks those things are gawd awfull looking monstrosities. Keep those ugly my mom hates me in the cabinets. :whistling:

never got why 870 guys get so pissy when people complaign about a new 870 express stovepiping a low brass shell

When I first started with my rem mag express,I was using the low brass.(cheap) I did have issues with them. Jamming,not ejecting. When I went to the high brass,(which imo,is the better) I have had no issues. My rem 870 express mag is probly 15 yrs old,and shoots like it was new.

I'm not getting pissy at all, and I'm a hardcore 870 fan. However, you are correct in what you said about them stove piping shells. You can't baby these guns. They are built to take a beating, and meant to be handled that way. Seems like the harder I am on mine, the better it gets. Mine is smooth as silk, and the action can be cycled with two fingers, but I still slam it as hard as I can every time! That's how they're meant to work!

In saying that, I know guys who have had issues with thier 870's. Most of them are super mags, but I have good buddies I hunt with all the time, who have converted from their fancy Beretta's, Benelli's and Franchi's to an 870 for reliability in the field. The guy I hunt with most has since bought 3 870's, and he couldn't stand them when we first started hunting. His Beretta was the first to go, after watching me pound ducks, while his was a single shot, then When his BRAND NEW Franchi did the same thing, he got rid of that, and now shoots an 870 with not a single issue.

I have another buddy who got rid of a Benelli SBE2 after 2 seasons, because it never worked properly from day one. Guess what he shoots now??

The bottom line is you can't go wrong with an 870 as your first gun. If you don't like it, sell it, and try something else. I wouldn't recommend the super mags though, they are the ones that seem to have the problems. The Magnums are fine, and you don't need the 3.5" shells to kill your quarry. That is a fact!!

If you can find an older used one, that is the way to go. They are bullet proof, and will out live all of us!

S.

The inertia assited pump action system is amazing once you shoot it you will fall in love. Unless of course you like ramming every shot home as hard as you can. Fastest Pump action shotguns in the world. Made the 1300 Speedpump even better. They are worth a look.

The winchesters are good too. I can't speak for the new models, but I have a 1300 that is just gathering dust, but its a great gun. I had a 2200 magnum that was worn right out, and still worked OK most of the time, but it did have the occasional hiccup.

I still say ya can't beat an 870 for a first gun, regardless. And Im sure there are many, many hunters that would agree. Easy to accessorize, lots of cheap and effective upgrades, and they will out last any one of us!

It would be nice if the OP would give a little more info on what he intends to do with it most. It makes a difference.

S.