Gun help NF

chris.brock

RARE but I guess it happens unless you have the BEST Autoloader out there in the duck blind with you....a old trusty Browning Auto-5 that has no gas seals to fail..... :whistling:

Never had a problem with seals in my auto loaders, myself, either in the field, ( I always prefered grouse hunting to ducks), or at the club.

870 Express hands down. From price to reliability it is number one. Put it up against the most expensive out there at a range and watch it ink ball targets. From Birds to big game at close range it can't be beat.

Enjoy

Comparing the Remington 870 Express to some of the finer shotguns out there is like comparing a old 14' leaky tinny to a new high powered Ranger. But if that's all you have shot, you might think its a great shotgun....but it's not. :)

Stay far away from the new remingtons.. i have 3 older ones in my gun locker excellent guns. the new ones are junk in my opinion i would look at mossberg cheap and longer warrantee than remington The warrantee center just stopped doing remington because of not honoring there warrantee.. now i think all guns have to be shipped to quebec

Probably totally unfair, but I split the barrel on a mossberg 12ga. Saw the split just as I was about to put another round through it. Can't help but be a little gun shy with them now. (ouch pun)

That being said a friend of mine got the 3 barrel Mossberg set, I never fired it but it felt really nice and the price is good.

Edited by Harrison

Personally my favorite shotgun I have owned was a Winchester pump. They make the smoothest fastest cycle shotguns around. Cycle a few rounds through an express and a winchester and you will feel the difference. I have nothing against remingtons, but I have see alot of complaints recently about the Express line.

Honestly don't make up your mind online or based on someone elses review.

Put a hunting jacket on, go to the store, and shoulder all the ones in your price range and the ones just out of reach.

BPS, Winchester, Remington, Mossberg, Benelli's etc... Buy the one you would like to cherish, versus the one someone else said was good.

and BTW Congrats on the PAL, Welcome to the club.

RARE but I guess it happens

I aggree with that. Likely the original seals. And it's only happend once. well.. Twice, but that's cuz I installed the seal wrong :wallbash:

PAL = Police Athletic Association here......what does it stand for in Ontario........ :dunno:

Possession and Acquisition Licence.

Spend a few extra bucks and get a good gun. It'll be the last one you buy. I'd stay away from Winchester 1100's and Remington 870's as I have also heard about quality issues.

Take a look at the Browning BPS... it's 10 times the gun. If you're in a gun shop, handle these 3 models. You'll know what I'm talking about.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

I had a Winchester Ranger Model 1300 with a 28 and a rifled slug barrel. It was a great pump gun. If you can find one of those, go for it, it had a great action and I could shoot it almost as fast as a semi. You don't need a 3.5" chamber, the ammo is expensive and it'll really beat you up. 2 and 3/4 is sufficient for most game and if you need to upsize, 3" Magnum is plenty.

Tried the Remingtons, can't shoot them. My cheekbones get in the way.

Use Browning Cetari and a Browning Auto-5. Both take 3.5""

Many Browning Auto-5 don't take 3.5' shells and MANY MANY more don't take 3" shells.......as a matter of fact all the Belgium made Browning Auto-5's are only 2.75" chambers....HOWEVER, they are great shotguns and may be the best autoloader ever made....the original Belgium's if in good or great shape are sought after and get a VERY good price for them.....not uncommon for a real nice one to get $1000 or more for a gun that could be 40 years old or OLDER......even a beat up one is a fine gun in the duck blind or toted around for upland game because of how well they are balanced and point....not to mention how reliable they are.

I'm a dirhard Rem 870 guy. Never been let down.

S.

+1

Got it on my 16th bday from my dad... I still use it !!! Keep it clean and treat her well and she will last forever.. i will never sell it...maybe a semi one day but my 870 does the job very well!

Don't overlook Stoeger double guns if your looking for a hunting gun. I just picked up a condor outback over under. Nickel and black walnut. I love it. Removable chokes, fast to shoulder, light and few moving parts to jam up. Heck even fpsRussia likes this gun and has one.

In the field I can get off 4 shots faster than you could get off 4 shots with any 3 round pump gun. Don't forget when hunting in ontario with a shotgun you are limited to 3 rounds max. Plus I just think a double gun looks cool.

main-4237.jpg

Edited by jedimaster

another 870 fan here, but i did buy mine about 8 years ago or so. i highly recommend you buy an older 870 that's in great shape (relatively easy to find) as scatterguns simply get better with use. mine has been submerged in mud and water, dropped in sand and dirt, and banged off many trees without a single problem. with an 870 you'll have the most options for aftermarket accessories, easy access to parts, and tons of how-to's online if you're going to mod it.

3" vs 3 1/2"? considering the price difference is so minimal it makes little sense to choose the 3" over the 3 1/2" chamber. weight and size of both guns is the same. patterning your shotgun is huge and finding the load your gun likes is very important so a 3 1/2" chamber allows many more options. shell A in 3" may shoot better than shell A in 3 1/2", but shell B in 3 1/2" may throw much tighter patterns than the same shell in 3". best to pay a tiny increase in price now rather than buying a 3" gun and wishing you had the 3 1/2".

while the 20 gauge is a great gun and can be used for the same critters as the 12 gauge, the 12 gauge is better in all departments. ammo options, increased range, and significantly more pellets makes the 12 gauge better for most.

lastly, consider purchasing a rifled barrel combo. you'll get a smooth bore with your gun for shot/rifled slugs as well as a fully rifled barrel which permits the use of sabot slugs. with this combo you'll have everything from squirrels to moose covered and your equipment will be capable of taking deer out to 175-200 yards IF you find the sabots your gun likes. mine preferred 2 3/4" copper solids which would make nice little 3" outside to outside (center to center = 2"?) groups at 125 yards with a scope off a solid rest.

another 870 fan here, but i did buy mine about 8 years ago or so. i highly recommend you buy an older 870 that's in great shape (relatively easy to find) as scatterguns simply get better with use. mine has been submerged in mud and water, dropped in sand and dirt, and banged off many trees without a single problem. with an 870 you'll have the most options for aftermarket accessories, easy access to parts, and tons of how-to's online if you're going to mod it.

3" vs 3 1/2"? considering the price difference is so minimal it makes little sense to choose the 3" over the 3 1/2" chamber. weight and size of both guns is the same. patterning your shotgun is huge and finding the load your gun likes is very important so a 3 1/2" chamber allows many more options. shell A in 3" may shoot better than shell A in 3 1/2", but shell B in 3 1/2" may throw much tighter patterns than the same shell in 3". best to pay a tiny increase in price now rather than buying a 3" gun and wishing you had the 3 1/2".

while the 20 gauge is a great gun and can be used for the same critters as the 12 gauge, the 12 gauge is better in all departments. ammo options, increased range, and significantly more pellets makes the 12 gauge better for most.

lastly, consider purchasing a rifled barrel combo. you'll get a smooth bore with your gun for shot/rifled slugs as well as a fully rifled barrel which permits the use of sabot slugs. with this combo you'll have everything from squirrels to moose covered and your equipment will be capable of taking deer out to 175-200 yards IF you find the sabots your gun likes. mine preferred 2 3/4" copper solids which would make nice little 3" outside to outside (center to center = 2"?) groups at 125 yards with a scope off a solid rest.

OH WOW, I don't know where to start......lots of mixed up info here....

First if you just purchase a Remington Express 870 it will be chambered for 3" shells and of course 2.75" shells.....if you want a Remington 870 that is chambered for 3.5" shells you will need to purchase a Remington Express 870 Super Mag.....even the Remington Wingmaster (a very fine gun) is only available in 3" chambers....all of these firearms will show what shells can be fired on the barrel.

The price difference from a 3.5" shell to 3" and 2.75" shells is significant IMHO......take a box of Federal Blackcloud ammo for duck hunting...Using Cabela's site....3.5" cost $27.99 per box compared to 3" at $22.99 per box or 2.75" at $16.99 per box....that adds up real quick during a long season of waterfowl hunting.....this is why many guys soon after purchasing a 3.5" chambered shotgun tend to get 3" shells after the first season with their new shotgun.

The 3.5" chambered shotgun is much heavier and overall larger to accommodate those heavy hitting magnum shells....

And last but surely not least......NO ONE should EVER use a shotgun to fire at a deer at 175 to 200 yards......that a distance a fine tuned rifle can only make with the right skilled hunter pulling the trigger. Wounded whitetails can go MILES when hit by a poorly placed shot, even with large caliber rifles. A 12 gauge sabot slug sighted zero in at 100 yards drops off 9.9" at 175 yards and I have no idea how much more it drops at 200 yards....either way that is not a shot I would ever attempt with ANY shotgun. It's just not a response-able shot anyone should make.

Happy Hunting,

Bob

your equipment will be capable of taking deer out to 175-200 yards IF you find the sabots your gun likes. mine preferred 2 3/4" copper solids which would make nice little 3" outside to outside (center to center = 2"?) groups at 125 yards with a scope off a solid rest.

I've never tried my slug gun at anything further then 100 yards. But it realy like the Hornady SST Slugs. Very tight patterns at 100. Like I said, I've never gone further then that, and likely never would in the field. To much target practice with expensive shells to get that good!

http://www.hornady.com/store/Slugs/

Many Browning Auto-5 don't take 3.5' shells and MANY MANY more don't take 3" shells.......as a matter of fact all the Belgium made Browning Auto-5's are only 2.75" chambers....HOWEVER, they are great shotguns and may be the best autoloader ever made....the original Belgium's if in good or great shape are sought after and get a VERY good price for them.....not uncommon for a real nice one to get $1000 or more for a gun that could be 40 years old or OLDER......even a beat up one is a fine gun in the duck blind or toted around for upland game because of how well they are balanced and point....not to mention how reliable they are.

Ugh, BB we really gotta stop agreeing with each other, we might become BFF's!!! One of the softest shooting 12 gauges ever made if it's setup properly. My oldman has a Auto-5 dated in the 50's (It was a European market gun, so no scroll work on the receiver).. I was just given a Auto-5 that dates to the early 40's... It will be buried with me, lol.

Just went through this last fall. Ended up on a Benelli Super Nova, because I wanted something more geared to waterfowling.

Thought alot about the BPS, probably the nicest gun of that price range in pumps, still heavy in 12ga to carry all day in the uplands.

I was told by a number of serious gun folks to stay away from the current Express and Nitro Mags....lots of issues apparently at gun shops.

Best plan is to think about what you will be doing, if its upland walking, I would look mostly at the weight. I carry a 28ga for grouse hunting in the bush, a please to carry all day vs something in the 8lb plus range.

The nova/super nova are not pretty but they are really nice guns, field strip simply and have not had a hint of a cycling issue thus far.

I just did the math, and I put 2150 rounds thru my 870 Express last fall alone waterfowling.....and I'll do that again on clays easily in the off season. Not one misfire, jam or otherwise. I've never actually had it jam or misfire. They are great guns. I would suggest the Magnum over the super mag. It seems like the newer super mags are the ones with the reliability issues. I've shot beside guys shooting 3.5" shells, and my birds are just as dead as thiers are. If you can center your target in the pattern, within range, any size shell will kill. Dont get thinking that a 3.5" shell is going to kill things further, or deader, because they don't. They ONLY add pattern density, not range. The pellets are still traveling the same speed as a 2 3/4 shell, only there is more of them.

Go in to a gun shop, pick up a shotgun. Look at a target on the wall, close your eyes, and point the gun where you think that target should be. How far off were you? Try another gun and repeat. The gun that puts you closest to the target with your eyes closed is the one you should get.

Fit is far more important than chamber size or anything else. If the gun fits, buy it. They are all pretty reliable.

There are a lot of things to consider.....what do you intend to hunt with it the most?

The Express will rust if you put it away wet, but it will never skip a beat. Why do you think all the police forces have an 870 in all their patrol cars?

I've tried just about every semi auto made at some point or another, and I've seen their owners all let down at some point or another, while I keep banging away on my ugly, rusty, 870.

Whoever is saying the 870s are no good, have thier heads up thier :asshat: , because they are probably the most reliable shot gun ever made. And yes BB, I've seen many brownings turn quickly into single shots as my 870 plugged away.

Take an A-5 out in a muddy, wet corn field and see how long it lasts as a semi....I bet its a single shot, long before mine is :) Anyone who does this stuff knows that a wet muddy field is the worst place for any semi, and a pump gun is far more superior.

Anyways, thats if from me. I'm getting out of this one while I can :canadian:

S

Ugh, BB we really gotta stop agreeing with each other, we might become BFF's!!! One of the softest shooting 12 gauges ever made if it's setup properly. My oldman has a Auto-5 dated in the 50's (It was a European market gun, so no scroll work on the receiver).. I was just given a Auto-5 that dates to the early 40's... It will be buried with me, lol.

Yes, it takes the fun out of us arguing.....LOL :rofl2:

I have a Browning Sweet Sixteen that was my second guy I ever purchased brand new in 1974 (1973 model, it's stamp on the stock if you remove the steel butt plate)....I paid $314.00 then.......now you can purchase a Remington Express for around $200.00....that alone should tell you what you're getting in today's market.....today that Sweet Sixteen would fetch a easy $1000.00 and I would have guys fighting over it as it's in near mint condition.

The Browning Auto-5 is a recoil operated autoloader compared to today's gas operated models....it gives you a push rather then a kick is the best way I can describe it......you have to shoot a Browning Auto-5 to appreciate one.

Now that's not to say all Remington's or Mossberg's are junk...as they are not....but the newer models they are now selling....well I wouldn't want one.....but for a newbie he will think it's the cat's meow....until someday he fires a fine firearm.....then that crowbar will be a under the seat truck gun.

I have 19 firearms in total.....why 19 you ask....because I didn't have money for the 20th one......along came kids and they needed shoes, clothes.....college....all that useless stuff kids keep bothering you for.... :D

Edited by Billy Bob