My first whitie

bigugli

I have caught many whitefish over the years, but sadly, the last time was some 28 years ago. I have also never fished for them through the ice. We used to catch loads of them along the wall above the dam, in the Soo. Long story made short, I was made an offfer I could not pass up until I got to the "hill". A slope of hard glazed ice that cleats would not dig into. I did a big backflip on the way to the ice. Took a couple of minutes to regain my bearings

DSCN3564.jpg

The pic was taken after the ice had "softened". At least I wasn't the only acrobat :blush:

Bite was soft and slow, missed a couple, but was rewarded with one nice specimen to make my day.

DSCN3561.jpg

After that the well ran dry for me. Most folk, today, left the bay empty handed.

Nice whitie Bruce!!! Sorry to hear about your spill. It must have been a nasty one...I noticed in your fish picture you even had finger tips ripped right off your gloves :whistling:

If nothing's broken and your still coming I promise the hill we will be walking done Sunday will be much tamer.

Let me know.

It must have been a nasty one...I noticed in your fish picture you even had finger tips ripped right off your gloves :whistling:

BAAAHAHAHAHA Good one! :good:

good on ya Bruce, it's been 38 years for me as I've never ever fished for them.

Nice, just like riding a bike eh? The rope can be used whilst going down as well as up. Glad you're ok.

There were 2 ropes. The long rope in the pic had a lineup of 20 sleds waiting to be guided down. The other rope only went 2/3 the way down, then I was on my own. In the 5 minutes we were at the hill, 2 others had gone for a tumble and one hut was smashed onto the rocks

Nice Bruce.....how deep were you fishing?

We were at 103'

Is that you Bruce :blink: I'm shocked.... I don't recognize you in the pic :sarcasm::lol: Joking :lol: Nice whitie my friend... good job :thumbsup_anim:B)

P.S. Of course, again, you forgot to add the piece of resistance :whistling::lol: I want to see that thing in a plate :lol:

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

P.S. Of course, again, you forgot to add the piece of resistance :whistling::lol: I want to see that thing in a plate :lol:

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

I'm saving that as a special dinner with my mother ( Mrs don't like fish). The plan will be to do a baked whitefish with crabmeat and shrimp stuffing, served with a Skane mustard sauce or a Finnish dill sauce

I'm saving that as a special dinner with my mother ( Mrs don't like fish). The plan will be to do a baked whitefish with crabmeat and shrimp stuffing, served with a Skane mustard sauce or a Finnish dill sauce

That is how you do it Bruce.

Nice fish. Congrats

Good plan Bruce!!! Funny my Mrs don't like fish either :lol: Sounds delish :worthy::thumbsup_anim:

Every time I explain that hill access to my non-fishing friend, they think ice fishing is an extreme sport. Who ever brought in the rope is the smartest and most thoughtful person, I wish him/her catch all the fish s/he desires! Also that skinny tree that's holding the rope, no other tree in their life have helped so many people. :worthy:

Thanks for sharing, congrad on your first of many more to come!

That whitefish catch looks a little "fishy" to me....LOL....you better send me that fish for further inspection and testing...LOL

I would trade you 2 fish of your choice for any whitefish....I just LOVE to smoke and eat whitefish and they are NOT a species available here.... although they are suppose to be in Lake Erie....BTW has anyone ever targeted them and caught any in Erie... :dunno: