Check your lightbulbs

jedimaster

However it says the head lights must be able to operate at high and low beam. My low beam that was burnt out still worked as high beam. so I guess the amber light canbe low beam and the high beam can be high beam?

The amber lights you're talking about are marker lights. The amber lights mentioned in Wayne's post refer to fog lights. We don't see them that often nowadays. People often refer to white auxillary/driving lamps as fog lights but they just add glare when fog is present.

I believe 'by the letter of the law' she is not wrong for issuing a ticket but it seems insane considering; you had the replacement bulb with you, I assume it was daylight by the time of your post and I'll also assume you were polite.

That might not be enough to toss the ticket. Imagine how pissed off you'll be taking time off work to lose the case.

I am sure I'll lose this one, maybe get off with half a fine I guess. It wasn't during daylight hours as I was on my way home from work and it was just after sunset. Anyway, like I said peaved, but what can I do. Just wanted to give people a heads up that may be in the area to check your lights.

out of curiosity - what time of day and light conditions?

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

<A href="http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/french/elaws_statutes_90h08_f.htm#s62s1">62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only

For less than a days pay (i.e. taking the day off work) you can get a paralegal to represent you in court. The charge will more than likely be tossed (there are no sure things in court) , especially if you have proof you had a replacement bulb with you. the question is, which will be cheaper - the ticket or the para. That cop must have been having a bad day if the exchange between the two of you was respectful (not necessarily the case for commercial motor vehcles in the Windsor area - but that is another story altogether). I would actually be surprised if the cop even showed at the court date, unless she was a busy beaver that day issiung many tickets that end up having the same court dates.

- never mind - lots happened while I was researching the appropriate section of the HTA.... :)

Edited by spincast

I was once given one of those "fix it" tickets as well. It was because one, of two, rear licence plate lights was out on the '79 diesel rabbit. The part that made me sweat was that I was on my way home from the LCBO and I had foolishly put my purchase on the floor of the front seat, not opened but still stupid. It was the first time I had been pulled over and... I was 17.

Got stopped last week for 68km in a 50km zone..........fair 'nuf.........however when I handed my insurance slip to the police office he politely told me that it had expired and could he see a current one, told him I would look for it. Well it took me 5 mins or so to sort though all of the crap in the folder it is usually in, finally found it. When he came back to the car I presented it to him and he said "sorry, ticket has been issued, ($60), fight it in court". :asshat:

That brings a good question, how long does one have to provide proof of insurance at a roadside stop? I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Took it to court the officer never showed up. :angry: :angry:

I'd be taking the ticket plus the bill of sale for the new light and heading straight to the cop shop to talk to whoever is in charge.

Nobody has any control over when a light will burn out and I can't see any way you should have been charged.

That cop needs to be raked over the coals by her boss.

Used to be a time when you were given 24 hours to fix stuff like that and then just take the car in so the cop can see it was repaired.

Just go to where you pay the ticket and setup an appointment for a meeting with the crown and bring the ticket and receipt. The Justice of the Peace should throw it out.

They are both correct.

Only thing he can do is show up to court/request a first attendence meeting with the crown and show proof that he fixed it. I know thats how our court works, i'm not 100% sure about Toronto.

Like I said, I've never given a ticket for a burnt out headlight. Its a reason to stop and talk to you, and let you know you have a light out for your safety, but I wouldn't tag you for. That being said, if you have illegal headlights (different colours) then you might get a ticket.

Yes that is how it works here in T.O.

If you are going to the courts at markham & milner here in scarborough, get there EARLY.

take a number and have a seat .

This will only be to tell them you are fighting it.

They will take the info and submit it.

You will then get a letter in the mail telling you the time and date of the preliminary meeting with the crown.

At that time have the receipt and ticket with you, the crown will throw it out right then.

I went threw this crap in the fall with my CLEAR license plate cover.

Lew, there is no more 24 hour notice or warning.

They want you to just pay instead of fighting like most do because of lost time at work.

Jedi- fight it.....

Jedi, you should be able to bet the ticket if you had the headlight in the vehicle and you have a receipt that you can take with you to the courts to show the times of purchase and they should throw it out. You can prove that you had the light in your possession and your intentions were to fix it.

If there is a light on the vehicle it has to be working........it's the LAW !!!

Of course it has to be working, nobodies contesting that, but lightbulbs DO burn out and we have to be given a chance to replace them.

A burnt out bulb doesn't make us criminals.

Like Lew, Jimmer and Autographs said.

I have an uncle who drove for months with a burned out headlight and he had a spare replacemet headlight in his trunk. Got pulled over a couple of times and said it just burned out, sorry I'm on my way home to fix it as I don't have any tools with me, it worked back then.

After getting pulled over once, about 30 years ago, for a burned out licence plate light I try to remember to check my lights regular and try to instill this in my son. Reason: It just gives a cop an excuss to pull you over, why give them a reason to screw with you? :tease:

BTW, yes your ticket sucks! The cop is an :asshat:

Well you know what they say... Burnt out headlights are like Pot. They are a gateway crime to more serious crimes like burnt out tail light... Next comes murder and running moonshine.

On my way to the court house in a few minutes... I don't think anything happens today, just get a trial date. Why I can't do this by phone or online is beyond me.

It could have, but that would have made it far too easy for you to fight it.

The idea of making you come in is that you will not come in and instead just roll-over and take it.

ALWAYS FIGHT YOUR TICKETS!!

That sucks, I have run into alot of decent cops in my past, but it just takes one like that to make you hate them all. only you can say weather a days pay is worth it, but I would fight that to the bitter end. Does any one know if it goes against the cops record, when you get off. Well mabey after I slept on it I would let it go pay the fine and hope that Karma bited her in the ass. Now im pissed. hope this helped. lol

I'd be taking the ticket plus the bill of sale for the new light and heading straight to the cop shop to talk to whoever is in charge.

Nobody has any control over when a light will burn out and I can't see any way you should have been charged.

That cop needs to be raked over the coals by her boss.

Used to be a time when you were given 24 hours to fix stuff like that and then just take the car in so the cop can see it was repaired.

What a cash grab.We get a 48 hour warning here in Quebec.

Yes time to fight back.

That sucks, I have run into alot of decent cops in my past, but it just takes one like that to make you hate them all. only you can say weather a days pay is worth it, but I would fight that to the bitter end. Does any one know if it goes against the cops record, when you get off. Well mabey after I slept on it I would let it go pay the fine and hope that Karma bited her in the ass. Now im pissed. hope this helped. lol

No, losing a ticket doesn't go on your record....