Charitable Donation

Pikeslayer

It seems everytime I go through a check out at the LCBO and grocery stores, I am asked if I would like to make a $2.00 donation to a designated charity.

So I'm wondering; with the 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars collected at retail locations, WHO IS GETTING THE 'CHARITABLE DONATION TAX CREDIT' for the accumulated amount?? Anybody on this board know?

Don't get me wrong. I regularily contribute to Princess Margaret, Canadina Cancer Society and others (I dropped $10.00 in the Sally Anne kettle on my way out the LCBO earler). But I'm a little irked when I have to constantly say no thank you. Especially if corporations are benefitting from this.

Cheers,

Slayer

This is a tough one

It's good that these various charities are getting funds----But---The Corporations that are doing the collecting I believe have self serving interests

Yup they get the deduction not in my and your name but Company X LTD--thanks to you

So ---Now this is my personal preference--and to each his own---when asked I say--no thank you

But---But----I make sure I give to the charities of my choice when called upon throughout the year---and the deductions never make much of a factor---but they are my choices and not somebody's bottom line bonus fund.

There's enough middle men between our cash and the cause---I'm just tryin to cut to the chase.

Again giving is always good and if the toonie at the cash is easiest-----give er

The companies take the tax break. It use to be large companies supported local activities and events. I played for a youth teams sponsored by McDonald's and other businesses. Now they collect money at the local stores and do not support any local groups.

One reason I think Tim Horton's has done well. They still support the communities and people who support them. Lots of Timbit hockey teams, free swimming days and other events.

Make your donations directly to the charity you have chosen and get a receipt for your own taxes. The more hands the donation has to pass through to get to the intended source the less will be directly applied to where it is needed.

Having dealt with this volunteer group directly. I can honestly say the money donated ends up helping directly where it is required.

http://emmanuelswish.org/gift-catalogue

Edited by Michael Brown

Sue and I usually donate to the United Way every year, they money then ends up being used to support other charitable organizations in our area. I was a volenteer on cabnet with the United Way and I know that they have a very stringent review process before they alocate funds to any charity. Also a VERY high % of the money donated goes directly to the charities.

We do also donate to other organizations; The Salvation Army helped me out when I was a kid, I've never forgotten it. The Heart and Stroke and Canadian Cancer Society are always on our list.

As for donating at the cash or through some other corp.. Not a chance, they get all the credit and tax deductions and you supply all the money.

For many charities collectons via phone or through other means are outsourced these days, and they recieve a percentage of the amount contributed. Sometimes that % is miniscule, sometime greater.With a few rare exceptions (Salvation Army, the Timmies box at Timmies and of course The Fish-a-thon for Cancer that features prominently here every year ) I choose who to support and contribute directly to the organisation(s) I want to support . Get the address from the website and drop a check in the mail. Then you can say, seriously, the check is in the mail to the charites I choose to support.

I went to the LCBO last weekend and from when I got out of my car to when I got back into my car I was asked 3 times to donate to xyz fund. people outside begging, staff at the cash and people asking when you walk out. I give all the time too and I pick who it goes to. Stop asking me for a damn handout 3 times while I run in to get my wife a wine.

What about the guy in the parking lot telling you his car broke down and he has to get his family home and they have no money , what did i do ? i told him he , your the same guy that was asking last week and the week before , ha , he said no he was'nt then ran away .

What about the guy in the parking lot telling you his car broke down and he has to get his family home and they have no money , what did i do ? i told him he , your the same guy that was asking last week and the week before , ha , he said no he was'nt then ran away

a few years back there was a lady here in Barrie (blond, real bad skin)who would always catch you at the gas station with a sad story...had to see her dying mother in sudbury blah blah blah...gave her $10 the first time. Couple of weeks later she approaches me again, starts into the same story. I cut her off, told her I wasn't going to give her any more cash, but if she was willing to get on the next Sudbury bound bus I would buy the ticket...man did she ever curse and swear at me! Walked away really foul mouthed, made me truly regret giving her the first $10

Edited by Rizzo

These days there is a con artist to match every legit charity out there. Bogus telemarketers, and telemarketers calling up pledges on big commissions. A family that makes a living selling chocolate bars "for charity" that does not exist. We've all heard about the phony cancer patients. They are just new twists on old cons and dodges. Just be mindful of where you put your money.

Edited by bigugli

I've said it before in similar posts. I don't donate money to random causes, no mater how great they may be.

I donate my time as a volunteer to support my local community directly. That gives me way more warm and fuzzies then donating a toonie every time I check out.

I've said it before in similar posts. I don't donate money to random causes, no mater how great they may be.

I donate my time as a volunteer to support my local community directly. That gives me way more warm and fuzzies then donating a toonie every time I check out.

and that by far is the best way to donate. good on ya Nick!

Just politely say no at the cash, but please do not stop donating to your local causes. Many of the local organizations do not receive any government funding; they survive only on funds from United Way and proceeds from too many fundraising events. I can tell you from personal experience that this is not an easy road to be on when trying to provide much needed service to the community. We have regular tag days outside the liquor store and the "Corporation" does not touch that money, so no tax receipts are provided for that kind of a donation. The Liquor Store is kind enough to allow us to do this a couple times a year where we might make $1500 - $2000 in two friday nights. They would probably allow more if we asked.

Many have suggested donating right to the charity of your choice, which is a wise recommendation to ensure your donation goes to where you want it. Then you can get a tax receipt if you wish.

Edited by jimmer

I agree Nick. I do the same. Actually looking into supporting womans shelters a bit more, there is some real need there IMO. A recent story I heard really opened my eyes to what they do.

Edited by Harrison

I agree Nick. I do the same. Actually looking into supporting womans shelters a bit more, there is some real need there IMO. A recent story I heard really opened my eyes to what they do.

there is one by my folks place near Fenlon Falls and we (my wife and I) and my folks donate to them all the time. they need it a lot more then most know about.

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE ADMINISTRATION COST TO SEE IF IT IS INDEED A GOOD CHARITY...I HEARD A FIGURE OF 14% ADMIN IS GOOD. I STILL BELIEVE IN CHARITYS LIKE CANCER

SALVATION ARMY AND MANY OTHERS BUT I AM REALLY OUT OF JOINT AT THE UPPER SALARIES OF A SUPPOSED CHARITYdry.gif

I have certain charities that I respect and support to a large extent over the course of a year. My choice, for varying reasons. I also participate in an annual food drive that donated over 100,000 pounds of non perishable food last month to local food banks and the Salvation Army. It is somewhat selfish on my part as I get a large amount of pleasure from it.

So.......when I get bombarded at the liquor and grocery stores looking for donations for this cause and that and handouts for the local sports team i get a little frustrated having to run the gauntlet at the local mall or plaza.

I would also encourage everyone to look into the charitable organization that you support and check out the net amount of every dollar that actually reaches the end of the chain and actually is used to fund the cause or research or buy the items needed or claimed to be needed, you may just get the shock of your life!

But this is just my humble opinion.....

It's minor inconvenience to have people asking for donations at almost every store this time of year. Yeah, it's annoying. Personally, I feel bad for the people standing there, because who wants to be that guy/girl? Much like telemarketing, your there to annoy most people. I could never do that.

That being said, many of these charities are nothing more than another type of big business, which is sad. I'm all for helping people in need, because we've all been there for the most part. But I choose not to support charities because of the business aspect of it all.

Anyhow, as for charity, I do my part by helping my neighbors and community. Whether it be food, shelter, money, clothing, work, as a community we help. Guess what? Works pretty well, we don't have alot of local issues in these regards. And in return, the people in need at the time, will then return the favor in some way, at another time. Over time, you basically end up with a healthy community, of people living well, familiar with each other as neighbors, willing to do good deeds.

The corporation can definitely not by claim a tax break for any funds donated by you that would be against the law. Its the same as if you give me money to give to a specific charity, I can't claim that for tax purposes.

I work for a large group of advertising agencies based in New York (150 offices/94 countries). Each year we have a Global Day of Giving. We have events, auctions, cash donations etc.

We raise a large amount of money worldwide and each agency donates to a cause of their choice in the area.

I'm with GBW getting hit every 50 feet in a parking lot is insane.

I can't claim that for tax purposes

you "can" do it, but it might not be ethical or legal. Has that stopped people before? If someone gave me $20 cash and asked me to send it to the Cancer Society I absolutely "could" tell them to send me the receipt, it just wouldn't be right

you "can" do it, but it might not be ethical or legal. Has that stopped people before? If someone gave me $20 cash and asked me to send it to the Cancer Society I absolutely "could" tell them to send me the receipt, it just wouldn't be right

Sorry I was in a rush when i wrote that. You are right you can do it, but there is not might about it you would be breaking the law and it is probably unethical. I just wanted it to be clear that it is against the law, are some people and companies out doing it? I am sure there are but we shouldn't make blanket statements and assume that companies are taking $2 bucks at the till for every customer and turning around and claiming it on their income tax filings.