A Couple of Personal Bests for Me this Fall

darsky

While fishing with a board member this Sept I experienced a thrill few ever will. I was fishing the St Lawrence and casting for muskies. The conditions were perfect for fishing,light winds and overcast skies with sunny breaks. I had been casting a drop off that has been known to hold a fish or two but action was a bit slow. I was reminded by my partner that fish in this area have a tendency to show up last second so focus was important from when the bait hits the water to the second it comes out. Moving your eyes from the bait coming in could result in heartbreak at any time. After a few hours and many MANY casts things just happened in slow motion. Bait was coming in to the boat and it was a half second from being out of the water for the next cast when The Queen showed up with her mouth on the bait right by my feet. Had I not been focused I might not even have seen her. The rod loaded up with weight. The fight was on and I had to follow this fish around the boat many times until she swam in the net. I have a few big ones to my credit, a few low 30's, a couple of 35's and a 38 lber but they all came trolling.She taped at 53 x a lot and cradle weighed at 42 lbs. This moment was quite special from hook up to release and it may never be beat.

And then a few weeks ago I was also fishing the river for smallies and on my very first cast of the day I felt weight,good weight.Not smallie kind of weight. Good headshakes with a few runs resulted in my PB walleye at just under 10 lbs. Gotta love Fall fishing.

As always, pics to follow.

IMG_0025.jpg

darskymuskie1.jpg

darskymuskie2.jpg

304.jpg