New Boat Motor

duke01

I would go with the make that you're comfortable with in regards to price & performance but also has a service center nearby which you trust. This is often overlooked by TOO many people cause the day you have to trailer an 1-2hrs to to drop it off then drive home then back again to pick it up when something goes wrong at today's gas prices is the day the feeling of that "sweet deal" you got at time of purchase is quickly forgot and the savings are quickly consumed by your time and fuel prices.

Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy the process of shopping for your new ride, always fun!

Cheers,

G.

Trying to pick out a engine for new boat. Looking at Evinrude E-tec 200HP or Mercury Verado 200 HP. Any opinions with either would be helpful. Thanks

Go see Clarence at Bay City Marine in Hamilton. (not far from Cayuga)

They sell all of the big names.

There are advantages and disadvantages no matter which way you go. Two strokes have fewer moving parts so there is less maintenance. Four Strokes are more efficient but come with a rigid and expensive maintenance schedule. Four strokes offer more torque but also add weight to the back end of the boat.

My biggest concern would be the maintenance cost of the Verado. It's only hear say but I was told that in order to protect your warranty you must adhere to their (Mercury) maintenace program and it is said to be quite costly. BRP claims that their e tech doesn't need to be touched for the first three years.

Go see Clarence at Bay City Marine in Hamilton. (not far from Cayuga)

They sell all of the big names.

There are advantages and disadvantages no matter which way you go. Two strokes have fewer moving parts so there is less maintenance. Four Strokes are more efficient but come with a rigid and expensive maintenance schedule. Four strokes offer more torque but also add weight to the back end of the boat.

My biggest concern would be the maintenance cost of the Verado. It's only hear say but I was told that in order to protect your warranty you must adhere to their (Mercury) maintenace program and it is said to be quite costly. BRP claims that their e tech doesn't need to be touched for the first three years.

Where is there less maintenance in a 2 stroke?

How much more is the rigid and costly maintenance schedule for a 4 stroke?

How much heavier are 4 strokes compared to 2 strokes?

I think it's about time you read up on the answers instead of the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke cow paddy.

expensive maintenance schedule.

We spend tens of thousands of dollars for our boats and a truck to pull them, huge amounts of money for the electronics to navigate the boat and find the fish, 100's of dollars a year for the gas, much more for the yearly insurance, then boat ramp fees every week and a small fortune for our tackle and who knows what other expenses.

The amount of money to maintain a 4 stroke motor over the course of a year, compared to all the other expenses we have, is so small it's hardly even worth talking about.

I would recommend a 4-stroke engine whatever brand you decide. Cleaner, Quieter, no smoke fumes, no oil reservoir concerns...

I own a 225 Verado for a few years now and can't say enough good things about it, would buy another one again tomorrow. That being said, they are not the only good engine in town, Yamaha as mentioned is another reliable and reputable brand.

For me the decision came down to the fact that it was several thousand dollars cheaper to power my Lund with a Mercury Verado than any other 4-stroke brand like Yamaha or Honda. The reason it seems is because Mercury and many boat manufacturers (e.g. princecraft, lund, crestliner) are under the same parent company umbrella (Brunswick Marine) so they offer savings when you bundle boat and motor together. Yamaha, Evinrude, Honda, etc are not part of Brunswick Marine...so you pay more to have a competing engine brand.

I purchased my rig and deal with Bay City Marine in Hamilton and overall they've been a good shop to deal with.

Duke - what kind of motor do you have on the boat now? It will usually (but not always) be less expensive to re-rig with a new engine of the same brand as you had before.

Unless it was a Sears eh?

I purchased my rig and deal with Bay City Marine in Hamilton and overall they've been a good shop to deal with.

As previously mentioned, working with a knowledgeable and helpful dealer is as important as the product you choose. I run an Opti and I am a happy customer. FWIW, and I am not looking to hijack the thread with a discussion on the matter, but also look at some extended warranty options to protect your investment.