New Boat Motor

duke01

What are you putting it on? Cause if your looking for performance the verado wont touch the etec. Fuel economy is about a wash and the etec uses very little oil. Like guys said you need your dealer close.

I'm not sure what this means.I can't see how a super charged engine will not preform as good or better then a two stroke.

I have a 200,4 cylinder verado on a 19' lund pro V.With 15 gallons of fuel and myself.It will almost launch the boat out of the water.

It is so good on fuel,That I had to keep tapping on the gauge to make sure it was working.

If I went back to a 2 stroke,I stay with a merc.

In the world of outboard drag racing.Merc is still number one.

Where is there less maintenance in a 2 stroke?

How much more is the rigid and costly maintenance schedule for a 4 stroke?

How much heavier are 4 strokes compared to 2 strokes?

I think it's about time you read up on the answers instead of the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke cow paddy.

I've run two strokes for forty years and my maintenace shedule has been the occasional set of plugs. The occasional impeller. Change the gear oil and check for water at the end of every season and motor on. Oh yeah, one fuel pump diaphram in my '73 Johnson.

What part of "hear say" don't you understand?

There's a fellow up on our lake that runs a 250 Verado on a 21' foot bass boat. It was he that told me that frequently (based on engine hours) he had to take it into the dealer for inspection and adjustments. He said if he didn't do so his warranty would be voided. All I did was suggest that the original poster look into it.

A 200 Verado is a four cylinder and it out weighs the 6 cylinder etech by almost 100 lbs.

I would imagine too that they are squeezing the guts out of a four cylinder to make 200 horsepower.

Bombardier Recreational Poducts (BRP) states that their e tech engines need not be touched in the first three years. See what Mercury has to say about theirs. That's all I was suggesting.

There is less maintenance in a two stroke simply because there are fewer moving parts. Less wear. Less breakage.

As far as "cow paddy" ? Whatever!!

We spend tens of thousands of dollars for our boats and a truck to pull them, huge amounts of money for the electronics to navigate the boat and find the fish, 100's of dollars a year for the gas, much more for the yearly insurance, then boat ramp fees every week and a small fortune for our tackle and who knows what other expenses.

The amount of money to maintain a 4 stroke motor over the course of a year, compared to all the other expenses we have, is so small it's hardly even worth talking about.

Obviously your budget can be stretched a whole lot further than mine. I cringe everytime I pull up to the gas pumps.

I'm not sure what this means.I can't see how a super charged engine will not preform as good or better then a two stroke.

I have a 200,4 cylinder verado on a 19' lund pro V.With 15 gallons of fuel and myself.It will almost launch the boat out of the water.

It is so good on fuel,That I had to keep tapping on the gauge to make sure it was working.

If I went back to a 2 stroke,I stay with a merc.

In the world of outboard drag racing.Merc is still number one.

If he is putting on a performance hull like a glass bass boat the etec will out holeshot out midrange and out topend the verado. If its going on a tin or v pad glass hull than it doesnt matter neither are designed for performance per say

If he is putting on a performance hull like a glass bass boat the etec will out holeshot out midrange and out topend the verado. If its going on a tin or v pad glass hull than it doesnt matter neither are designed for performance per say

I suspect most people here really couldn't give a rats gluteuous maximus how high the boat will launch or torpedo going down the lake. There's always someone that will try and make more noise.

I look at it this way, if 2 strokes of any description(etec, no tech, whatever) were that good, they'd be putting 2 strokes in cars and trucks. Hmmm, anyone heard any rumours lately..

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/26262/

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/03/pivotal_piston_.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10413645-48.html

And you tell me I need to read?

I look at it this way, if 2 strokes of any description(etec, no tech, whatever) were that good, they'd be putting 2 strokes in cars and trucks. Hmmm, anyone heard any rumours lately..

They are great in certain applications. Meeting emission regulations is not one of them, lol.

We sell both brands you are looking at.

Both the Verado and the Etec are great engines.

And points have been made about both.

Personally I like the Etec for its light weight, low maintainence, fuel economy and great power.

But I do have an honest affinity for the 2 strokes being raised on OMC stuff.

I'm being pushed to put a new Verado on my boat for next year.

Undecided myself.

PS.The Etec has less emissions than the 4 strokes.

Edited by Bernie

'Out torquing' is the wrong word to use.. There's a reason why a direct injected 2 stroke will usually out accelerate a typical 4 stroke engine.... It's the fact that the direct injected 2-stroke has almost instantaneous on demand power due to the design of the fuel system that makes them get up and go so quickly.

On deep V's is where the 4 strokes out perform 2's,With more consistent torque at high rpm's and all threw the power band.Making the 4 more efficient in ruff water.

Running in waters where the the prop is leaving the water on a consistent bases and have to get off the throttle to keep a high rate of speed and the boat going in the right derection :w00t: . with the consistent torque of the 4.The prop will grab the next wave harder give more thrust.With a 2 you have to keep a higher rate of rpm's to adcheve the same rate of speed.Making it more difficult in keeping the same rate of consistency as a 4.When the prop re-enter the water.The more snappy torque from a 2 tends to give more prop slip when getting back on the throttle.

Which in turn decreases lift.Dropping the boat farther into the water causing more drag.

Now, If I was going too propelle myself down the lake on calmer water.I would go 2 stroke.

No I wouldn't.I would start burning alchol and see what happens. :canadian:

200hp at the prop,is 200hp at the prop.

Tybo take a stop watch & gps and 2 boats identical to yours one with the etec the other verado and run em. The etec with out perform the verado in time to plan, 0-30mph and topend. The slip you mentioned has to do with the prop (some slip more than others) engine height,trim and hull design. A 4 blade extra cupped stainless will slip much less than say a 3 blade alum..They may both be rated at 200hp at the prop but the 2 stroke can under load run through the rpm range much quicker.