Fishing Cobourg Harbour fine

Ron

Just an update for everyone. I received my court date for fishing in the Cobourg Harbour. It is set for Monday August 22nd, 2011. For those of you who fish the tribs in the Town of Cobourg, wish me luck! The bylaw they charged me under, they could essentially fine everyone who fishes on Public property owned by the Town of Cobourg.

I will post the outcome once all this hoopla is over.

Cheers, Ron...

Just an update for everyone. I received my court date for fishing in the Cobourg Harbour. It is set for Monday August 22nd, 2011. For those of you who fish the tribs in the Town of Cobourg, wish me luck! The bylaw they charged me under, they could essentially fine everyone who fishes on Public property owned by the Town of Cobourg.

I will post the outcome once all this hoopla is over.

Cheers, Ron...

Give me the time and place if you would like some moral support, I'd be happy to take time off work to come down and support you if it will help in anyway!

....Or financial support? Let me know!

Yep what Spiel said..... I threw a $100 up in the original post and many others followed suit. Ron... take us up on it and get a good lawyer for YOUR fight for OUR rights!

Edited by irishfield

Thanks for the offers everyone.

At this point in time, I won't need any financial assistance. However, if this motion gets carried to the next level it may end up being a little on costly side. I can't say any more for the time being but the Town of Cobourg lawyers will have some work on their hands. The most important part for the time being, is getting the reversal on the right to fish in Provincially legislated waters.

As for moral support, lets hold off on that as well until the next court date as I am certain there will be additional court dates. This will be a preliminary I assume.

Cheers, Ron...

Thanks again everyone for you support.

There is definitely one outcome out all of this....

I will be fishing at the Cobourg Harbour immediately after the trial. I am by all means not organizing an event on August 22nd, but I can't stop you from fishing yourselves. Be forwarned though, you are on your own responsibility for a good chance of receiving a warning or a ticket.

Myself, I will be on the East Pier at 1:00pm provided I am out of court at that time.

Cheers, Ron...

Thanks for the offers everyone.

At this point in time, I won't need any financial assistance. However, if this motion gets carried to the next level it may end up being a little on costly side. I can't say any more for the time being but the Town of Cobourg lawyers will have some work on their hands. The most important part for the time being, is getting the reversal on the right to fish in Provincially legislated waters.

As for moral support, lets hold off on that as well until the next court date as I am certain there will be additional court dates. This will be a preliminary I assume.

Cheers, Ron...

I would think they'll try and deal with it all in one session, no preliminaries. Assuming they've given you a ticket and you're contesting it rather than paying the fine - you've effectively pleaded not guilty.

Make sure all you have all the facts on you - I doubt the town are doing too much work on it, so if you can catch them with their pants down, it'll get thrown out - they'll state the bylaw you've broken with evidence to that effect and then it's up to you to argue you didn't.

Good luck!

I would think they'll try and deal with it all in one session, no preliminaries. Assuming they've given you a ticket and you're contesting it rather than paying the fine - you've effectively pleaded not guilty.

Make sure all you have all the facts on you - I doubt the town are doing too much work on it, so if you can catch them with their pants down, it'll get thrown out - they'll state the bylaw you've broken with evidence to that effect and then it's up to you to argue you didn't.

Good luck!

He hasn't pleaded not guilty to anything yet. When he goes to court, then he'll plead not guilty and receive a trial date. They won't be doing the trial on the same day, it will be a few months from now.

He hasn't pleaded not guilty to anything yet. When he goes to court, then he'll plead not guilty and receive a trial date. They won't be doing the trial on the same day, it will be a few months from now.

It's a bylaw violation, not a murder trial - he got a ticket, like speeding, if you pay, you're pleading guilty, you challenge it and you're pleading not guilty.

It's a bylaw violation, not a murder trial - he got a ticket, like speeding, if you pay, you're pleading guilty, you challenge it and you're pleading not guilty.

What exactly don't you understand? He goes in, pleads not guilty, they set a court date sometime down the road, he goes back in and pleads his case.

It's not rocket science.