Three loud knocks, then silence. Repeat.

adolson

I was reading a variety of old posts on this forum, and from the knowledge and experience on display here, I thought I'd ask this question here.

My friend owns a cottage on Mattagami Lake (near Timmins). Earlier this year, it was late at night, and he was in the back having a bonfire. His wife had gone to bed. It was dead silent. Then, he heard three knocks in the distance (straight back into the woods). Like someone took a baseball bat and hit a large tree trunk three times, about one second apart. Thwack.. thwack.. thwack... He thought it was weird, but didn't think much of it. About five minutes later, he hears the exact same thing: thwack.. thwack.. thwack... Only this time, it's closer. About half the distance of the first. He listened carefully, and heard nothing. No footsteps, no branches breaking, no animal sounds. Nothing. About five minutes go by. Thwack.. thwack.. thwack. This time, the sounds are right near him, but he can't see anything. He immediately stood up and went straight into the cottage. He turned out any light sources and sat in the rear-facing window and looked out for about an hour but didn't see anything.

He's been in the bush all his life, and owned that cottage for about 20 years I think. He is familiar with all kinds of bush sounds, but can't figure out what it would be. It's nothing like anything he'd heard before. He went out the next day to look for footprints, but nothing. The only thing he thought it could be would be a woodpecker, but to make the volume he heard, it'd have to be gigantic. And they don't usually peck only three times, a second apart anyhow. It's haunting him (well, not really, but I mean, he's puzzled) and would love to figure it out.

When I was visiting the cottage, he demonstrated for me. I sat at the fire, he walked back into the bush and smacked a tree three times with a bat. It was really loud, but I could hear every movement he made. It was still kinda freaky - no way I woulda sat at the fire through three sets of that!

It is very quiet there, I mean, I could hear chipmunks in the bush even during the day, and they were loud like people. Then they pop out onto the grass and they're just these little things, heh. I think if it was people playing a trick on him, they would have revealed themselves by now (why make someone squirm for a few months? or whatever - maybe, I guess) - and it would have to be three people who stood there for hours and waited, so that there would be no travel sounds. But again, no footprints or anything that he could see. This cottage is only accessible by boat, too, so I don't know why someone would boat across to play a joke on someone.

It is a mystery. Any ideas?

Edited by Dana

Primates bang on trees to comunitace with each other sometimes.

I'm 100% sure it was Bigfoot. It had to be. Saw it on TV once.. Guys trying to comunitcate with Bigfoot by banging really hard on the trees. :stretcher:

When I was living in the Spirit World, I would try to make as much noise as possible to communicate with the living and I would try to get as close as possible.

But the dumb asshat.gifasshat.gifasshat.gif never understood dunno.gifdunno.gif .

Maybe now, your friend will understand?

Slayer

Edited by pikeslayer

Prolly a moose had fallen in love and was knocking 3 times on the ceiling.....I would have waited for the "twice on the pipe" to confirm this.

I would check for yellow ribbons on Any oak trees in the neighborhood toowhistling.gif

All kinds of noises in nature. Most times we dont hear them because of the deafening roar of the cities where we live.

Believe it..........Or notwhistling.gif

Edited by mercman

When I was living in the Spirit World, I would try to make as much noise as possible to communicate with the living and I would try to get as close as possible.

But the dumb asshat.gifasshat.gifasshat.gif never understood dunno.gifdunno.gif .

Maybe now, your friend will understand?

Slayer

Smokin Ganja again Simon???rofl2.gif

A few years back I was fishing a shoreline just after dusk with my girlfriend. Darkness was just about to fall when we heard loud cracking noises somewhere in the bush, but seemingly pretty close to the shoreline as well. The noises were similar, not exact, to what you described; regular intervals of spaced out cracking sounds that are loud enough to echo. We immediately began spouting theories as to the culprit of this disturbance, thinking it had to be something big enough to make those sounds. A few minutes later we saw the outline of a beaver dragging a small tree disappear into the dark lake. Mystery solved, but often when it comes to the unknown, our minds trick us with logical fallacies and we make assumptions. I'm not saying your friend is wrong, or exaggerating, just that our own minds are usually responsible for these kinds of things.

We have had multiple moose walk between cars and (somehow) through a volleyball net and proceed into thick bush as we watch and listen. It's surprising how nimble they can be... but then again, their survival depends on it.