Who here uses bottled water?

Big Cliff

I keep a few bottles around in the truck, boat and such just to have in case it is needed. The well water here is really good and the city water quality is in the top ten in the nation. The only issues from the bottled water industry is it is unregulated as far as location claims. The crystal glacial water could come from someones kitchen sink faucet in New Jersey and be perfectly true as long as they applied for the name.

Art

I stopped drinking bottled water at home a little over a year ago.

I do still use them when I go fishing but re-fill them with tap water a couple

times before recycling them.

From what I hear Nestle takes their water from little streams / creeks to the point where they become mud

flats and can no longer sustain any flow or life.

Other companies take water from 3rd world countries, taking the resource

away from the VERY poor and charge them to try and get it back.

Not us. We have a water tap/ice maker in the door of the fridge and most water we use comes out of there.

Why do you ask?

Jim

I had a company approach me to do some marketing for them, they have developed a system to replace the "bottled" water units. Things are very slow at work right now for me and it looks like it might be an interesting project but I wanted to get an idea of who and why people are using the bottled water before I decide if I want to take it on.

We have never used it other than the small bottles when we are traveling or fishing. Our water supply here goes through a lot of stages; iron/sulpher removal, water softner, UV, and then a 5 stage RO system for our drinking water so I don't have much experience with the "Bottled" stuff.

One of the best resources I know of are the people on this board :thumbsup_anim:

Not sure if this helps or not but I in university I studied water quality and was taught that there are actually less tests and regulations on bottled water than tap water. (At least in the States) so have always just ran tap water through a filter. Anyway...hope it helps. Good luck on your project

Edited by Hud

I do Cliff....mainly for my once-a-day 16 oz. coffee...$2.99 for 18 liter refill...

We stopped buying the small bottles by the case due to the recycling issue...(too many were not being recycled and ending up in landfill sites) :angel:

BTW...We mainly bought the water cooler and large bottles for any company we had especially kids as a change of water can do nasty things to their systems...Our tap water tasted a bit swampy after it warmed up so I started using the bottled for my coffee and still do even though they have finished the new water station ages ago...still has lots of minerals...we have to descale kettles etc. quite often...

Edited by Beans

We don't use the big bottles Cliff, just the odd case of small bottles which Barbara and I make sure we recycle. We have a 5 stage RO system in the house and try to use refillable aluminum sports bottles as much as possible.

At work all of our water coolers have been converted to city water supply with multi-stage filters.

My favorite chemistry teacher said the best sand filter in the world purifies 97% (Oak ridges Moran) and the real nasty stuff dioxin,Mercury, couple others are toxic at 3-4 parts per billion.

Bottled water greatest scam in the world have 12 cases down stairs. Queen Bee say's it taste better.

Not sure if this helps or not but I in university I studied water quality and was taught that there are actually less tests and regulations on bottled water than tap water. (At least in the States) so have always just ran tap water through a filter. Anyway...hope it helps. Good luck on your project

This is also the case in Canada...since the Walkerton tragedy, municipal water supplies are stringently regulated and monitored. The same cannot necessarily be said about bottled water.

the water in port perry is pretty crap.. we use bottled watter for most of our drinking water... also for coffee and tea we use bottled water as the local water clogs up alot of the filters in the coffeemakers and also tastes like crap. the water also leaves a nice crusty stain on most taps and bath tubs and showers. just lovely

i brush my teeth and shower with port perry water and thats about it.. all other drinking water comes from the bottle.

My water comes from the tap, once in a blue moon the wife picks up a case for travelling, the boat, camping.... but that is it. There are too few regulations for bottled water for me, I can fill them in my kitchen and sell them to you without any testing, pathetic.

It's a scam and harming the environment.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't use it. bottled water has been shown to me no better, sometimes worse than tap water. and the energy needed to recycle those plastic bottles outweighs the reasons for even doing so in the first place.

buy a nalgene folks!

like was mentioned above, i keep one or two in my car in my emergency kit.

50% of the water in the Sault comes from lake superior, the other 50% comes from wells. Depends on where you are in town what water you get.

There is a well 3 blocks from my house. It is in a little block building. The water is pumped out of the ground, gets a little shot of chlorine for a just in case, and goes into the pipes.

I trust that way more than any bottle I would buy off the store shelf.

I fill a couple water jugs for going into the woods camping because you never know what you will pick up out of a creek or lake.

The only bigger scam than bottled water is the filter people put on their taps...

What can your $40 filter do that the town's multi-million dollar filters can't?

Pepsi uses the same tap water that they use to make their cola, and puts it into plastic bottles and charges more for it! That is marketing genius!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
The only bigger scam than bottled water is the filter people put on their taps...

What can your $40 filter do that the town's multi-million dollar filters can't?

Pepsi uses the same tap water that they use to make their cola, and puts it into plastic bottles and charges more for it! That is marketing genius!

at least filters do have legit purposes. homes/buildings that are older, still contain lead pipes, which is a source of contamination post water treatment. i believe provincially 10 ppb or something is an acceptable level...people with more than that are advised to use filters.

many people use charcoal filters because it does sometimes change the water. when i lived in london i had to use a brita because the water smelled funny until i filtered it. it may have been part in my head, but it seemed to work.

i agree that "scam" is the best word for bottled water!!!!

The tap water here in Etobicoke is fabulous, tastes better (less) than any bottled water I've ever had. The only filter I've ever used on drinking water is when I am on a remote camping/fishing trip, and I use the Katadyn dual filter unit. There is a Brita unit in the fridge, but I can't tell the difference in taste at all.

If I need to have some portable water, it's tap water into a reusable bottle, like a Memart bottle or a Siggs.

The tap water here in Etobicoke is fabulous, tastes better (less) than any bottled water I've ever had. The only filter I've ever used on drinking water is when I am on a remote camping/fishing trip, and I use the Katadyn dual filter unit. There is a Brita unit in the fridge, but I can't tell the difference in taste at all.

If I need to have some portable water, it's tap water into a reusable bottle, like a Memart bottle or a Siggs.

Yes I concur, Etobicoke water is fabulous .. and consistent ... at least to the smell/taste ... very little if any residue in the kettle or in the pipes makes me feel comfortable ... as for the actual chemistry I havent ever bothered to check ... having said that, I do keep a stainless bottle full (from the tap) in my car for those thirsty moments, and will use bottled water in suspect locations (like down south ... or at the camp .. no need for the beaver fever ;)

But honestly I am more suspicious about the taste of plastic and what nasty toxins that indicates than I am of our town treated water.

My wife used to do the Brita thing .. I preferred tap water. My girls do the bottled but then there's no talking to them when it comes to their eating habits ;)

i beleive you are correct Rick but isnt cola pasteurized? i think it is ....

Cliff a friend of mine is in the process of possibly setting up a rather large system ....and if you have any technical questions regarding your concerns ...give me a pm and ill get you his contact info