My first ice fishing trip and report (pic heavy)

Well folks I finally plucked up the courage to leave solid ground and venture out on a frozen lake to fish for my favourite fish - perch. I decided I would take lots of photos of the whole experience so I have a good record of my first ice fishing trip and because no one back home in the UK would believe me otherwise! :dunno: Here's how my day unfolded....

Well my day (Saturday) started in a sunny downtown Toronto, waiting for the bus to Newmarket where I would meet up with a friend who was taking me to Cook's Bay, Lake Simcoe for some ice perchin.

med_gallery_354_52_4500.jpg

After an hour on the bus and a quick car journey we arrived at Gilford at noon and in the middle of a snow squall. I must admit I was a little nervous of going out onto the ice, especially as we couldn't see a thing. As we drove closer to the shoreline my friend decided that he was going to park on the lake ice close to shore. I thought he was joking, but no. Next thing I know I am on the ice. To my surprise there were actually quite a few other vehicles on the ice. As we walked to the bait huts to get minnows I hoped to myself that his car would still be there when we got back! :unsure:

So there I was on the ice for the first time covered in snow - nervous and excited and not a clue where to go. The guy selling us the minnows advised us to head out to where the huts were and drill some holes. Problem was, with all the snow I couldn't see any huts. So we headed out into the blizzard in search of the huts and trying to avoid being whacked by snowmobilers racing around in the white mist. After a few minutes walking through the snow, the snow stopped falling and the clouds parted, and to my amazement there on the horizon were fifty or so black silhouettes of huts, tents and vehicles. Wow, what an amazing feeling, being out there on the ice, 400m from shore over 20 ft of water - it was a truly unforgettable and surreal experience just being out there. I knew I would go home with some good memories even if I didn't catch any fish! Here's a few pictures of my first experience of a winter's day on a Canadian lake.

med_gallery_354_52_212758.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_132122.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_80618.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_132309.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_110664.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_174877.jpg

So what was the fishing like I hear you ask..... :Gonefishing: well we got to a likely spot near some huts and started drilling holes and setting up. As this was our first time ice fishing and because we won't be able to go too regularly we had pretty simple gear and no gadgets. We just had to drill a hole, drop a minnow down on a jighead and see what happened. The ice was about 10-12 inches thick and we estimated we were in 20ft of water. Beginners luck for me I guess but on the first drop I got a bite and not long after that the first perch was through the hole. :thumbsup_anim:

med_gallery_354_52_181003.jpg

After a few more perch, all 8 inches or so, the wind picked up and made life very uncomfortable. I really wished we had rented a hut at that point. The bites also dried up and I started getting frustrated as I was spending more time solving tackle problems - the main problem being the wind catching the line which caused my cheap reels to get tangled up so much so that it was difficult to fix with cold and numb hands. With the sun starting to go down and a couple of hours of fishing left we decided to regroup, fix our tackle, try to warm up and find a new area to fish. We moved south a little and started to drill holes.

This was a good move, because the last few hours of daylight were the best in every way. The clouds cleared and made way for blue sky, the setting sun painted the ice and sky with warm tones, the wind dropped, and the perch started to bite! We weren't catching large numbers of fish and they weren't that big, biggest maybe 9 inches but they were beautiful fish, we were having fun and thoroughly enjoying the experience. Here's some pictures of a few fish, all caught using small jigheads tipped with minnows and returned alive to their watery world under the ice.

med_gallery_354_52_159801.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_132553.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_236899.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_179088.jpg

As we packed up and headed back to the car at dusk. You could hear the ice groaning and expanding and I realised I was glad to be leaving the ice but so happy that I had been out there to experience this quintessential Canadian outdoor activity. Despite the difficult conditions for this city boy from London, England it had been a truly memorable day. What a great way to spend a winter's day. Hope you enjoyed the pictures and the story.

Enjoy the ice and stay safe

med_gallery_354_52_110096.jpg

Edited by OO7

WOW!!! Awesome report!! There's alot of Wankers and Tossers all around you!.... and welcome to the great CANADIAN tradition!! walking on water and freezing our butts off..... it certainly makes the Lager taste better at the end of a day!!

Again awesome report thanks for sharing!

Gerritt.

Really good report, 007. I like that feeling too, of being at one with the elements, watching the clouds and squalls pass by, not just persevering, but enduring.

Some of those perch would have been nice with some chips, I shouldn't wonder. And yes, a $10 compass is a necessary addition to any outing.

Thanks for your report. I'd like to see what friends and family over 'ome might say. Let us know!

007 good to see you out there for your first time and you caught fish for your first time.

if you found it too cold rent an ice hut next time it will eliminate the eliments of winter.Last year when I brought my kids we had a hut with an 18 inch by 4 foot hole my kids could see all the perch action down below on Lake Simcoe.Better than TV.(well almost)

Next time you are in the open keep hand warmers in your gloves when handling cold fish with your bare hands the hand warmers warm your hands up quickly once you put your gloves back on.Thanks for the pics and report.Mike :thumbsup_anim:

great report & pics ,and im glad you got to experience what it is like to go ice-fishing in canada,glad you had a nice time and caught some nice perch....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: and like what irishfield said its very important to at least have a compass,or better yet a GPS,unit it could be a lifesaver.....

Atta boy ! Another convert ... next time Lakers and Whities ... over 60 - 80 ft of water .... once you have one of those on ... you'll be hooked for life ... and wont even notice the cold

Great report and perdy pictures - thanks for sharing.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Glad you liked the pics. It was just such a great feeling out there and I'm sure I will try to get out there again before it melts. I will really consider renting a hut to get out of the wind and cold next time though.

Good luck to all of you out there on the ice

Thanks again guys. I'll try and get another ice fishing report in before the end of the season.

Snag - you're right it was quite a walk but well worth it. Perhaps I should do more ice trekking to lose a few more pounds - would certainly make my wife happier if I did LOL :D