Lost my Best Friend Today - My Dad

Leecher

Guys,

Just don't know where to start with all this.... Lost my mentor and most importantly my best friend.....

My father had been fighting lung cancer for the past year and a half getting chemo & radiation treatments. Was admitted into a palliative care center about 5 weeks ago, it ended today at 12:25pm.....

Will never forget the last weeks spent at his bed side.... he was a fighter and even today, fought to the very end... he just didn't want to let go.... The hardest part for me was to see him gasp for air all the while our family was there, including his sister that is celebrating her 79th birthday today.

He definitely got great care and I'm thankful that his suffering ended.... I just could not stand seeing him that way anymore.

Might be selfish on my part but he is now in peace and watching over us.... Will miss him dearly.

Jacques aka Leechman

Please accept mine and Jackie condolences, tough to take !! At least, as you say, he is at peace now.

I lost my father many years ago now, and still admonish myself for being unable to get to the funeral on time. [in England ]

Sorry to hear that Jacques. Terrible news for sure but as you say, he's no longer suffering. My and J's condolences to you and your family. I wish I could say something to help make you feel better but there probably isn't.

Time for you to take care of YOU now.

.... I just could not stand seeing him that way anymore.

Might be selfish on my part but he is now in peace and watching over us....

Jacques aka Leechman

I've felt like that before. Most of us think we're being selfish when we feel like you do, but the truth is we're probably being anything but selfish. Think of it this way. You were ready to lose the company of someone dear to you for his own peace & comfort. Now you're comforted because he's not hurting any more, not because because you were hurting. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way. Don't beat yourself up over it. You cared. And if that's the way he raised you to feel, then I'll bet he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I'm sorry for your loss, Jacques.

JF