A Tribute to my Brother

steve_paul

Last Monday, my Brother, Brian Paul, suffered a heart attack while playing hockey and passed away. My life, and the lives of our family will never be the same without this incredible man in it.

Trying to find the right words to write about him is difficult because none seem sufficient to say what he meant to me. He was 15 years older than me but always took the time when I was young to spend time with me, the greatest gift he could have given to me. I learned so much from him just by watching him and being with him. No matter what a hellion I was a child, he always came back for more. He was truly one of the most brilliant people I have ever met and could help you solve any problem - mechanical or personal, just by talking you through it. He was the consumate husband, father, brother, uncle and son.

He was living his dream, living on the water with his beautiful wife, getting ready for retirement, enjoying quiet time on his boat just cruising up and down the Rideau, anchoring in quiet bays for the night just to enjoy the beauty that nature provides. He was fiercely proud of my nephew and niece, and rightfully so as they are great kids, I can only hope to provide them the support to get through this that they need. His giving and caring nature has continued with my son and daughter and they have lost the best uncle you could imagine having.

Life will never be the same for me with Brian gone. But life continues on and he would want everyone to go on and celebrate life the way he did.

As my nephew Sean said in his tribute to Brian at the funeral, "When you want to honour Brian, don't raise a glass to him, just do what he would have done and do something nice for someone without asking anything in return"

You will be missed Brian.

Brian teaching my daughter Jess how to sail this summer

med_gallery_67_247_17449.jpg

Brian and Jess on the Cruiser this summer

med_gallery_67_247_47640.jpg

My brother and I, his son Sean, my kids Ryan and Jess, our motley crue of dogs and of course the Peeing Moose a couple of summers back

100_0283.jpg

My son Ryan and Brian enjoying the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Calendar a few years ago at Christmas

529263507zJnnds_th.jpg

Sorry for your loss Steve. How old was Brian?

He was 57 Wayne.

My condolences also to you, I feel your pain. I lost my Mom last Tuesday December 30th, 2008.

Our condolences to you as well on the loss of your mother.

Brothers are for ever,you have some great memories of one that sounds like the perfect brother.

He truly was the perfect brother.