Over Spending On Fishing?

urbanangler1990

hey guys, have u ever been told u over spend on fishing tackle? whenever i see and what something new like a reel, or rod or lures, my family always tells me, but u already have all those things, why do u need to buy more? stop wasting ur money! And they like ur crazy! Do any of u get this? and what yall say, this should be good.

Edited by urbanangler1990

It all depends on what you call over spending. I work hard so I can take time off to enjoy life while I can. If you count the amount of money I spend including gas to get to my destinations, I would have to speculate it is in excess of over 7 g's. Buying a new boat this year isn't added to the equation...

I regret spending so much money on loads of lures that I didn't need or use. I have my confidence baits now; lures that I've learned the feel of and use most of the time. But buying a little bit of everything when you're starting out allows you to experiment and get comfortable quickly. Having said all that, I think it's a better idea to save up some money for a while (winter's a good time) and buy one or two high quality combos. Properly cared for, they'll last almost a lifetime, and give you a balanced tool to learn how the different lure styles fish. New lures come and go. Fishing fundamentals stay the same year after year.

I definitely overspend :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Most lures and stuff I buy is just to duplicate what my kids and buddies have just in case they start catching on them, there's no dang way I want them catching on something I don't have!!

My problem is that I get hooked on certain lures and techniques and have a hard time changing, so 90% of my stuff doesn't get used :unsure::unsure:

Part of the problem of working at BPS is that customers can come in and get you all wound up on a certain lure and then you gotta have one!!

Hey!! Isn't it supposed to work the other way around!! :blink::blink::huh:

I never over spent on fishing till I caught steelhead fever...... Before that I was sane I had about 500 bucks tied up in all gear for bass fishing. That allowed me to catch my own bait and fish 3 to 4 times a week for the entire bass season and do very well actually....

Started steelheading last November and this is without having purchased the final two/three must haves to complete my arsenal(which are a center pin reel and a quality set of breathable wader with separate wading boots) I figure I have about 1800.00 plus tied up already and spending more every week HAPPILY!!!

No one really says anything to me about the amount of money one of the perks of being single I guess...

OH man,you had to ask that question :blink: i buy a new boat about every 5 years :unsure::Gonefishing: totally overspend,thats an understatment,its a diease,it really is,gotta have it all its called fishin fever :mellow::dunno: so many lures and baits so little time, :worthy: it never ends, :blink: and those dam companys are always bringing out new stuff :unsure::glare: oh well another trip to bass pro :thumbsup_anim:

dude it never ends, I just give the GF the old "hey, I could be wasting my money on booze, cigarettes or who knows what else, but I barely drink, never go out and quit smoking various other substances when we moved in together, so if I want to spend money on the only thing I have left i'm damn well going to spend money on fishing gear" hehehe

in short, as long as you can afford it, I say go out and buy the gear you want... there's worse addictions out there....

uf

No one really says anything to me about the amount of money one of the perks of being single I guess...

Ah yes, the good old days.

When I wanted toys, I just bought them.

No responsibilities, no worries, no debts, and the main reason......no wife !!!

Now, I'm spending for 5, and the wife easily spends double what I do on my gear and toys. :o

I think some of the best lessons I passed on to my boys were the ones that were the hardest to accept from my own parents. If I wanted something, I had to work or save for it, something that a lot of young people don't do any more, or even know how to. We didn't have credit cards or the like while I grew up. Cash...if you didn't have it, then you didn't buy it until you had enough. Did it hurt? damm right, but I'll tell you, you appreciated the item a whole lot more, and you took good care of it. Nowadays, it's buy on credit or "Mom/Dad I need....No, you don't need, you just want. Both my boys wanted wheels, did they need them, no but they worked part time after school and weekends, bought their own cars at 16, had their own insurance policy, (I paid the difference between coming on my policy and their own for the first year), they both know what a buck is worth. At 24, my oldest bought a house already with his girlfriend, my youngest is well on his way too.

So, urbanangler1990, you have to balance your needs and your wants, be sure that what you want, is really needed. I'm still driving a 1986 Lightning rod with a Shimano Speedmaster, do I need a new one, hell no, but ask me if I have any other debts at 50+.

I think some of the best lessons I passed on to my boys were the ones that were the hardest to accept from my own parents. If I wanted something, I had to work or save for it, something that a lot of young people don't do any more, or even know how to. We didn't have credit cards or the like while I grew up. Cash...if you didn't have it, then you didn't buy it until you had enough. Did it hurt? damm right, but I'll tell you, you appreciated the item a whole lot more, and you took good care of it. Nowadays, it's buy on credit or "Mom/Dad I need....No, you don't need, you just want. Both my boys wanted wheels, did they need them, no but they worked part time after school and weekends, bought their own cars at 16, had their own insurance policy, (I paid the difference between coming on my policy and their own for the first year), they both know what a buck is worth. At 24, my oldest bought a house already with his girlfriend, my youngest is well on his way too.

So, urbanangler1990, you have to balance your needs and your wants, be sure that what you want, is really needed. I'm still driving a 1986 Lightning rod with a Shimano Speedmaster, do I need a new one, hell no, but ask me if I have any other debts at 50+.

Excellent post Fisherman.

If you think your overspending now ub1990, go have a look at some musky gear, where a basic, everyday, run of the mill lure will cost you about $25 each, a "good" lure will be $100 and then the really nice ones go on up from there, with some baits costing $300-400 each or even more.

Then there's the gear to go with it.......a good net is $150-$200, cutters for going thru 7/0 hooks about $60, store bought fluoro leaders about $10 each, and the list goes on.

Now you have to buy a boat and trailer and GPS and sonar and truck to pull it and gasoline at 90¢/litre and insurance and boat ramp fees and :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

Like fisherman says, buy what you can afford, when you can afford it, cause if you have to worry about the price, your not gonna have any fun while your using it. Get a few things at a time and go have some fun :thumbsup_anim:

Ditto to what fisherman said. Havin three grown boy' of my own i know exactly where you are coming from.

I have taught my boy's the same standards. My daughter who is 23 brought a home back in the uk and is getting married next year. My eldest boy who is 21 did cut trees for a living but 18 months ago he had a very serious work accident and was allmost killed. His whole right leg was shattered and had to be rebuilt

He now has a metal plate around his ankle and twelve pins in his leg. He was on W.S.I.B FOR A YEAR AND SIX MONTHS AGO HE COULD NOT STAND IT ANYMORE SO HE WENT BACK TO SCHOOL. He did a welding course and three months ago now he landed a job with west lake industries in burlington welding. This boy has had a rough eighteen months and i mean rough. He will never have 100% use of his leg like he used to he will allways have a disability with this leg but it could have been alot worse.

He allready has arthritis setting is which the surgoen said would happen but,

he is now

in Europe on holiday will be flying back next wednesday then i shall be helping him look to buy a home as thats his goal for 2007 is too own his own home and he is only 21 yrs old. So you could say this mom is pretty damn proud of him.

He could be sat at home wallowing in self pity but he is not.

i sopose i was tough on them growing up i sopose i still am. But one thing i taught my lads & my daughter.

Is nothing is for free on this earth you want something you have to go out and earn

it that way you will appreciate it alot more.

You can't put a price on living life to the fullest...... :Gonefishing:

But seriously...your spending spree will come to an end, in a few years, when your parents kick you out. :w00t:

LOL! and so true on both statements i have 3 sons still living at home and they are taking full advantage of the situation but i keep warning them retirement for me is not too far off and they should start to think about saving some money so they have some place to go when i do retire, for some reason they had it in their collective heads that when i retire mom and i were just going to move and leave the keys to the house to them. LOL not going to happen boys.

When I think about what's now sitting at the bottom of Lake Simcoe yea I over spent. Had wayyyyyyyyyy to much stuff and not enough of what really worked.

Now that I have to rebuild my tackle box from scratch I'm a lot more discriminating. I don't run around to bars, mess around on my wife and she angel that she is lets me buy what I want.

You only go this way once so why not enjoy, and a good women by your side is just icing on the cake, but don't tell her I said that.

I went into Lebaron's on Boxing Day for a package of hooks & 2 spools of line . . . . . . 5 minutes later I left with a package of hooks & 2 spools of line . . . . . ? Already got enough lures to use a different one every 10 minutes for several days . . . . . . AND STILL CATCH NOODNIK!!