Looking for a pick up truck

Just a thought...

With these vehicles being big time gas hogs and the focus on the environment--maybe investigating fuel efficient full size vehicle technology maybe a start.

I know GM is releasing a full size truck hybrid but not sure on particulars.

Maybe if better technology is coming in a year or so---a beater may get you through till the time of investment---it may be awful to dive intoday at a big ticket price to find out in a year it's outdated.

Food for thought

Bushart

I can deffinately recommend a truck. HONDA RIDGELINE!!! To a lot of people this isn't a serious vehicle. I beg to differ. Especially now that I am driving another truck since my accident last week.

It drives great. Has tons of storage. Three people over six feet can sit in the back very comfortably. It is not bad on gas. I can tow my boat (aluminum bass) to bancroft and back on $60.00. It has power. I have never gotten it stuck, put have pulled other bigger trucks from the same area. It is very quiet, smooth and comfortable. Storage of a van, drives like a car, has the power of a truck. It is easy to get in and out of, yet has a lot of ground clearance. I cannot say enough about this truck it rocks.

Now that I am driving a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab I really miss my Ridgeline. It is bouncy. Lacks space inside, even though it is a bigger truck. It has power, but no traction. It sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. All in all it may have more power than the Ridgeline, but I feel the power in the Ridgeline is more effective.

I can go on and on, as I have drivin other trucks as well but non compare. We have the base model. It is loaded compared to other vehicles. Take one for a test ride, you will not be disappointed.

Actually Lexxington, the Honda is not that expensive compared to other trucks with the same stuff. At least when I bought mine almost three years ago it wasn't. Especcially when you take in the consideration of the gas consumtion, quality of parts, etc. I looked for two years to find a vehicle that would suit my needs, and the Honda was it.

Now is a good time to look for used Honda's to come available, as leases are just starting to roll over.

coldtruck.jpg

I know that Fords F150's are listed as the best truck but ohhhh the gas sucking!!!!!

I have the Dakota not bad so far, V6 4x4

Honda is a super truck but the $$$ :)

Best deals to be had right now are all domestic as they are getting their butts handed them too there on a brown paper bag.

Ford is definitely NOT rated as "best" in any department. Toyota's on the other hand...

id look at the toyota tundra if i were you. in 2006 i researched for many months to see what truck is the best all around. i looked at so many car mag reviews, forums, websites, etc and toyota is what people are leaning to as its way up there on the quality control. dodge sells alot of trucks but thats only because they are cheap compared to other comparable trucks. ford has high prices for what you get.

my uncle has a honda, although i hate to admit it, and its actually a very nice truck. honda just needs to make it look a little better...well alot.

imports are much better and the "big 3" need to start doing something or they will continue to lose sales.

Before we make any recommendations we should know what you need it for. Standard or extended cab, how big of a boat, what type of ramps do you usually go into all this will help to recommend 2 or 4 wheel drive, 6 or 8 cylinder and do you want to buy new or used. In that price range you can get quite a truck a year or two old but no sense in buying a V8 4*4 if your pulling a 14 foot tinny and never leave the city limits.

If you are going to use any truck for towing.

You should make sure it has, at least a slip differential.

If you want to get half decent fuel mileage.

You have to look at gmc. They get better mileage out of there stock 6L and

more pony's and torque then the rest.

They are all good trucks now days, But a real truck doesn't start until you

get into the 3/4 ton trucks.

From what I see in my shop out of the three domestics is the Ford is probably the most reliable. Not problem free either but it would be my pick of them. As far as imports go I cant give a good opinion as they don't tend to be overly popular around here. They are less likely to have problems but will probably more expensive to purchase and repair. The Honda would be OK if you don't need to load an ATV or a sled in the back. Not my style because of that. The Nissan Titan may be worth a look as well as the Toyota pickups.

depends on ur needs, under 30K maybe a previously enjoyed vehicle

toyotas are a beaut and would be my choice but come with a hefty price, in my price range i stuck with a new ford ranger, 20/20 hindsight should of went with a used full size, live n learn, nother year or two and i'll be in the market again

good luck on your search

If you are going to use any truck for towing.

You should make sure it has, at least a slip differential.

You have to look at gmc.

You have to look at a GMC...and then ruuuuunnnnnn as fast as you can the other way. GMC= Got More Cash. I'd drive a rickshaw before being burdened with another product from them.

If you want the thrill of an overpowered truck and the pulling capacity of 9500 lbs then the truck I chose is the Titan from Nissan. It is very well made and does exactly what I expect a truck to do and that is ride like a truck run like a truck and drink gas like a truck. It is not gas friendly but if you are buying a truck to haul I am more comfortable with a truck that is over built for the situation than something that is only capable of doing the job. I have had mine since 2005 and have 18,000 miles on it and have had no issues with it. I have hauled my boat 2800 lb 14 hours straight without any over heating up and down mountains and it handles the braking and acceleration just fine. I have also hauled 7000 lb for three hours with out sway bars and was able to control it in the rain without any uncomfortable feeling as I made my way back from the bay. I will say that if you like to feel some rapid acceleration and performance driving then it is the truck for you. The down side is you can get it down to 12 mpg if you like to make the tires burn and the speedo rise quickly from light to light. If you drive it nicely the best you will find is 18 mpg but thats very hard to do when the motor is urging you to go alittle bit faster.

Art

Ah the pick up can't wait until I will purchase one .For now I will ride out the next few years in a minivan.

Although I have had success with Honda Products I can't say I would jump at a Honda Ridgeline and I know the motor

is very reliable because I have the same motor in my Honda Odyssey.

All that money for a 4 1/2 foot box now Toyota has an awesome look and the right size box with its Tacoma.

I will probably buy used and I find I can purchase alot more truck for a great price from Ford and I need the roomier cab for my 3 kids .My Minivan actually can carry more than the ridgeline especially when the back seat is folded down in the floor.

A 2 or 3 year old

loaded F-150 sells for about the same price as a used Tacoma or Ridgeline.I would consider a Honda if only they

had a real pickup box.Now you Ford bashers check out this link on the page the Ford Ranger Pick up made the top ten

list for most reliable vehicles on MSN.So in the 30 000 price range the Ranger would be a good purchase.IF one purchases the F-150 with the small V8 4.6 litre they will find a V8 that uses as much as a V6 the 5.4 litre is a thirsty motor.

My turn in a few years as long as gas doesn't hit $2 per litre.

Visit My Website

This is the link to MSN top 10 reliable cars Not my website.

Edited by Mike the Pike

Ford is definitely NOT rated as "best" in any department. Toyota's on the other hand..

imports are much better and the "big 3" need to start doing something or they will continue to lose sales.

I don't know whats so impressive about the new generation Tundra's??? Is it the fact they have the weakest frame of all full size pick-ups, that they have a crappy payload capacity, there gas milage is as bad or worse then all full size pick-ups, that mechanically the new generation Tundra has been the worst Toyota to date???

Oh I know what it is, it says Toyota on the door so it must be better. :clapping:

Edited by FUSION

Any well used Toyota. Take your pick, good chance better than new domestic.

They may not have the same towing capacity or payload ratings as some of the big domestics but they really are tough little mules. Very durable and reliable even with tons of km on them.

Edited by Weeds

Last time I checked the chev Silverado was voted truck of the year by motoring news,motor trend,J.D powers and a few others. GM invited ALL the competitors to thier testing grounds along with the media and at days end the Silverado outperformed ALL of them. :thumbsup_anim: Not coincidence. What is amazing is that only in the last year are we hearing of massive recalls by Toyota and the likes. Thier quality is waning in light or cheaper vehicles so as to grab a larger portion of the market share. This is a trend that will continue whereas the "big three" have had thier wakeup call and are going the other way with quality vehicles. For years they have lagged behind in the PPM defects but are quickly closing the gap on the offshore imports.

IMO,I'd buy north american for this simple reason, If just one plant is shut which employs ,say 3000 people the ripple effect will put 5 times that amount out of work and one of them could be YOU.

I had a Nissan Frontier 4 door for years and loved it. Excellent pulling power on the low end good gas milage (for a truck) and it was very reliable. Only reason I traded to an SUV was because I didn't need a truck anymore. If I was going to buy a truck again I would be looking at that first.

Roy we have a couple of those running around London and they are amazing. Domestic car manufacturers quality was lost for quite a few years in the 90's it has really rebounded.If you talk to execs they will tell you after you get your quality up to your competitions standards or better it will still take 3-5 years to change public perception. IMHO we all need to try a little harder to buy North American aas much as possible, from our vehicles all the way to the Grocery store.

I'm on my 3rd F-150 4x4 now and I have nothing but good to say about them...nothing special, regular cab so I can get my ATV into the back, and I opted for the trailer package with the extra cooling for the transmission.....I don't baby my trucks...I've passed weekend hikers in the bush and saw their jaws drop :thumbsup_anim: while I crawled past them to get into some of my little trout lakes :clapping: ......sure...the truck consumes gas but that's part of being a truck owner and most full sized trucks are comparable give or take $10 -$20 per tank and depending on your driving habits!!!!...

Tomatoes vs. tomatos I s'pose?

I've always been partial to Chevy,

Freinds of ours have an Avalanche, an its a sweet little ride.

Vey reliable, no issues, never needed to see the shop(aside from oil changes)

Seriously....it rides so nice it almost doesn't feel like a truck LOL!

Its reeeeely quiet, and tows beautifully.

The removable covered back is nice for transporting things when you want to keep stuff dry.

Good saftey rating from what I've seen as well.

But like most Trucks she does drink the gas a bit but...Its probobly better then most(atleast that what they say :rolleyes: )