Quit Smoking ( NF)

Squid

Well, I usually do not post stuff like this but anywho, I quit smoking cigarettes. Yup no more spending monies on cigs!! Now it will be spent on gas and baits :thumbsup_anim:

I have to say that Champix is amazing. Yeah, like most of us smokers, I tried cold turkey :wallbash: . Turned to Champix and I have absolutely no withdrawl pangs :wallbash::asshat:

I hope that I never go back. Now I can work on getting into sumo shape !! :stretcher:

Pete

Good on ya Peter. I hope you can go the distance.

I've quit successfully about 3 times, but always end up starting again for some reason or another after about a year.

Hate the weight gain too. Make sure you have lots of celery and carrot sticks on hand.

Congrats bud.

Joey

Way to go Pete .. I honestly attribute my 323 days to this BOARD and to people like Joe (Daplumma) who jumped right onto my tentative announcement of quitting with serious support ... the thing that worked TOTALLY for me was realizing that the craving REALLY only last three minutes ... so look at the clock ... HARD .. for four minutes .. the craving will be over and imigine that if you had a REAL PROBLEM .. like say a broken leg or something the pain and suffering would be real and much longer .... and yet ... the gain to be had by staying the course is worth so much more ... not just to you but to everyone who cares about you !

Good luck bud !

Edited by camillj

Great News!!

Thanks fer sharin' something positive!

I quit 3.5 years ago. Know your enemy. Just like professional sports teams, meet to discuss strategies. Sometimes they review videos of the game, to enable them to make the necessary changes to succeed next time.

In order to be able to quit, I identified the triggers that caused me to crave a cigarette.

For me it was when I started my morning with coffee. If I did not drink coffee, I did not get that intense desire to light up a cigarette and take a nice long drag. Although giving up the coffee wasn't that pleasant, it the heck was a lot more manageable than the nicotine fit. Another trigger was alcohol. After a couple of beer, all notions of quitting were quickly dismissed. With a reassuring promise to quit " next week". ;) .

For me, stopping drinking wasn't a problem, so then I hardly experienced any severe cravings. I was able to resist the minute long cravings, and soon had 3 weeks without smoking!

Then, I decided to have a coffee. Big mistake. I craved a cigarette so bad........I almost (whew) bought a pack of cigarettes, but I somehow calmed myself down and decided not to. It was about 4 months later when I thought I try again, but this time I was able to drink the coffee and not sustain any severe nic fit.

The point I'm trying to get across is don't waltz into this half cocked without really psyching yourself out. You might not have the resolve to beat this thing. And, if you fail, it's gonna be harder the next time. You need to make some changes. Don't give in. Don't be a wuss. Hang in there and it will all go away, and you'll never look back. I know! It feels great. :thumbsup_anim:

Walnow.gif

:thumbsup_anim::clapping::clapping:

CONGRATS

Whenever you stop at Timmie's for a coffee ask for a handfull of plastic Stirstix. I used to chew the heck out of about 20 a day when I first quit 3 years ago and I haven't looked back yet. Now if I only could get my wife to quit. At least she goes outside to smoke.That really helps. As soon as cigarette smoke start stinking instead of giving you cravings you'll pretty well have it beat.

Edited by wallyboss

Congrats and keep it up!!!

My mother (50 yr smoker) has tried quitting for 20 years. Has tried everything from cold turkey to hypnosis, to the patch. She went on Champix 3.5 months ago and has not picked one up!!

I'm going to talk to my family doc about it too and kick the habit.

Again, good work man....it's always great to hear someone else is doing well at it.

Good for you Pete. One less thing controlling your life.... :thumbsup_anim:

Excuse me while I go smoke a but.. :Gonefishing: ...Im kidding :asshat: I quit 5 years back now. :blink:

You must be talking about Cigarettes? :rolleyes::angel::angel:

I've quit for a while now.

One of the hardest things that I found was when I would have a drink or two, as well as a with coffee.

I used the patch and followed it right through til the end. I also used a Nicotine Mint, called Thrive (Nicorette ones are way too expensive).

This solved my issue with drinking a few beer or having coffee, because I didn't care for having the Nicorette gum in my mouth while drinking, but a mint isn't so bad at all.

I still carry the mints around with me now and continue to have them. I don't have any cigarette cravings anymore.....I just take a mint when I feel that I am getting grumpy (Usually end up being told by the wife to take the mint :blush: )

Thanks so much for the kind words and support all. Champix is a nicotene receptor inhibitor. This stuff is awesome. No nic fits yet. Best part is, by the second week of the program, the smokes start tasting like c%ap to boot. Ask your doctor, it is a prescription. Yeah Lew, more casts for me from now on.

I haven't smoked at work now for about a year, down to 7 butts a day. At work, I still have the nicorette or similar gum, always 2 or 3 pcs a day. The gum really does kill the urge immediately, and I find it helps. I am still a long way from quitting nicotine, i know. That is the real quitting.

Guest gbfisher
I still carry the mints around with me now and continue to have them. I don't have any cigarette cravings anymore.....I just take a mint when I feel that I am getting grumpy (Usually end up being told by the wife to take the mint :blush: )

Oh.... :whistling: Now I undertsand. <_<:D

and good for you. You must have been turning that blind eye of your's :thumbsup_anim:

congrats Im also a 24 day reformed smoker. I smoked well in excess of 2 packs a day, for 24 days I have added 20 bucks a day ( roughly my habits cost) to a jar unreal just how much money it costs to smoke...Ya it sucks its hard I have been a absolute a hole to my family and friends but the temporary pain for the long term gain is worth it...

plus 7 grand a yr in extra money sure does buy a mess of fishing related stuff

I went cold turkey without having the need to replace one form of the drug nicotine with another

Edited by aniceguy

F.Y.I.

I was a 1 1/2 pack guy for 10 years or so..tried everything!

Now quit for 388 days!! :thumbsup_anim:

Anyone wanting to give it up without a prescription read this book....(I know it sounds like an infomercial!)

The Easy Way to Quit Smoking

By Alan Carr.

It actually works, I have NO WILLPOWER but didnt need it !

Hope this helps

Diss.