Quit Smoking ( NF)

Squid

I just read this thread while having a smoke, and am trying to come up with the motivation to quit. I am 18 months past two MI's (heart attacks), ran into my doctor at CTC and the first thing he said to me was " Albert you're still smoking"

I feel ashamed every time I light up, however I am not ashamed enough to quit. Stupid isn't it! Perhaps this book will help me get over the hump.

Now if my wife would just buy into the idea as well....

I just read this thread while having a smoke, and am trying to come up with the motivation to quit. I am 18 months past two MI's (heart attacks), ran into my doctor at CTC and the first thing he said to me was " Albert you're still smoking"

I feel ashamed every time I light up, however I am not ashamed enough to quit. Stupid isn't it! Perhaps this book will help me get over the hump.

Now if my wife would just buy into the idea as well....

I had a heart attack and havent had a smoke since, have also had a couple of friends stop with the help of Champx since, I quite cold turkey, if a heart attack and the realization of when your dead your dead arnt motivation enough Im not sure anything will be. Heres where I start to have a problem, should the average Canadian tax payer have to pay the health bill of someone who, will not help themselves. Sorry but all of us that smoked, had the same cravings and the same needs, so if a person wont help themselves, im not sure the world should fit the bill for anyone who wont at least help themselves

Sounds harsh but maybe if having heart attacks and drugs your doctor can give you dont help maybe the burden of having to fit your own health bill will

Heres where I start to have a problem, should the average Canadian tax payer have to pay the health bill of someone who, will not help themselves. Sorry but all of us that smoked, had the same cravings and the same needs, so if a person wont help themselves, im not sure the world should fit the bill for anyone who wont at least help themselves

Sounds harsh but maybe if having heart attacks and drugs your doctor can give you dont help maybe the burden of having to fit your own health bill will

Taxes on tobacco & alcohol collect more $ than is paid out in health costs. Alot more.

One of my friends did say that the dreams he was having well taking the drug were pretty intense. I know this is a touchy subject, but if the drugs you have to take are not good for you,just quit, sorry but no one will convince me that you cant just quit,I did, and I smoked just as heavy as anyone else,its your mind, control it. Before anyone beats up on what I just said,remember I smoked almost 2 packs aday,for over 20 years, and I did it, so I dont see any reason why anyone cant. There are no reasons only excuses.

Just look at all the positive posts on here as to how many people quit. Good luck to all who will QUIT and good job done by all those who have already.

Edited by TOM C

Well I have to say that Champix worked for me. I am still cigarette free and plan on treating myself to a nice Shimano Tekota when I get out to JB's. I also felt gulity and ashamed that I was smoking and for what??look cool? feel cool? Well it's really not that cool at all. For those that want to quit go for it!! For those that have quit, way to go and you have the support of the entire fishing board to lean on!!

Well truth be told, While fishing with Lew, I would sit down and have a smoke and watch Lew at work. I quickly realized that he was getting 10 casts in at a minimun to my smoking a cigarette. No wonder he was out fishing me. I has nothing to do with him being a better muskie fisherman, no way! HAHAHAHAHA.

Congrats on sticking with it Pete.

I don't smoke and there was still no way of keeping up with Lew casting. I think it's that daily practice he gets while the rest of us are still out there working for a living.

Mike

Guest gbfisher
Well I have to say that Champix worked for me. I am still cigarette free and plan on treating myself to a nice Shimano Tekota when I get out to JB's. I also felt gulity and ashamed that I was smoking and for what??look cool? feel cool? Well it's really not that cool at all. For those that want to quit go for it!! For those that have quit, way to go and you have the support of the entire fishing board to lean on!!

and here I thought you knew what you were doing when you got up and started talking to the guys next to us in their boat. ( no one was there) :o

Lew and I thought you were kidding. :whistling:

HOLY............ some side effects....... :lol:;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been three weeks since i've stopped smoking cigarettes.

One of the main reasons was reading through this thread.

Instead of having a cigarette i did something else initially,

already my physical habits have changed.

Looked at the side of cigarette pack saw measurements of benzene, formaldahyde,

carbon dioxide etc...read in an article that the radioactive materials in cigarettes keep you addicted.

I'm not giving my money to evil cigarette companies.

Great post and congrats to all that stopped this evil habit.

Thanks very much for this post,

ehg

ok clicked on this thread.........

hmmmmmm

got two great kids and wonderful wife..........

hmmmmmmmmm

What am i thinking .........smoking ???????

They need me ........

Walks around room scratching his head !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUNDAY IS MY LAST DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will post updates.......:)

....You can do it MoiraRiverMan, stay positive and stay focused. After 32 years I'm off them cold turkey for the last four months. I feel better, way better and the money I've saved, well it buys a lot of nice things including new fishing stuff. :D

Hi All,

Just had to put in my thoughts. I smoked a pack a day for the past 40 years and I quit 2 months ago using Champix. I was pretty impressed - it seemed to take the edge of the cravings enough so that I wasn't going nuts for a smoke. Never thought I could quit either but lots of health issues and the guilt over exposing my family to 2nd hand smoke convinced me that I had to do it. I was supposed to stay on the Champix for another week but was having some side effects that made me get off of it early and I had no problems. Whatever method you choose, it sure is a great feeling to not be feeding my hard-earned bucks to the dang tobacco companies!

DebS

Dang Pete I am glad to here your still going strong with it and cant wait to get you down this way to collect on the shopping spree and maybe get some toothy critters to go with it.

As for all the others keep up the good work I know its hard and hope ya all pull through its been many moons for me since I had a smoke and do some times get the urge no and again the wife has also been smoke free for 9 years this month.