trolling set-up for planer boards ??

lew

Mornin folks, time for some softwater fishing talk :Gonefishing:

I'm gonna be using an Off-Shore planer board for the 1st time this coming May for springtime Quinte pickeral and want to get a rod / reel combo that'll work well with it. I only fish for pickeral about 6 days a year so I don't need anything really expensive, but want a decent set-up.

I was thinking of maybe going with an 8' TDR rod, but not sure what action would work best for dragging the board, or would a different length be better ??

And what about a decent line counter reel with a large capacity spool.....maybe a Convector :dunno:

I'll probably be using mono.

Any thoughts ??

This is the board I picked up

or12lsm.jpg

Lew I know when I asked the same question as you I got a TON of different opinions... I pooled them all together and the TDR was certainly the rod of choice in a MedHeavy configuration. I coupled my TDR's with Daiwa Sealine 47's

I could not be happier with this setup... I have seen first hand what happens to an Okuma reel.... they implode! LOL

Just my thoughts

G

Hi Lew

Any of the 8 1/2 FT medium (8-17lb) Steelhead rods with fast action will work as well. For Spring salmon and Walleye using the OF boards I use Bass Pro Shops Tourney Special Rods. They're 8 1/2 ft and 8-17 lb. Paired up with a Daiwa 27H line counter and 12 lb. Set up works as good as anything as far as I'm concerned. The BPS Tourney Special are not made anymore but they do sell those Browning steelhead rods. I'm sure you can find one in your price range - just stay away from anything with a slow action. You want as much backbone in the rod and a fast tip to help handle the board. The OF boards don't put as much strain on a rod as you might think.

well

I am thinking differently then the other guys

I think you are fishing the eating size spring pickeral not the fall trophy walleye

I would go lighter, you might not want it as light as what you use other years in the spring

but with those heavy rods, you will not even fell the fish, and no fight reeling in

but the heavy one will work year round and if a 50" muskie bites instead of the pickeral, your good to fight her

Lew, you have been given great advice by everyone so far! Terry is also very correct with regard to the difference spring fishing vs fall fishing at the Q.

I would stay with Gerritts advice re the rod and reel combo, but would consider a different planner board for spring fishing and or getting the "tattle system" upgrade for your Offshore board.

We use a very small planner board in the spring (the name escapes me right now doh!) and 3/8th oz cranks.

The smaller boards available at BPS work great, but a tattle system on your Offshore board will do the same thing for you.

I hope this helps?

HH

Thanks boyz, lotsa good advice as always.

I just went to the Daiwa site and had a look at their LC reels, and they seem like they'd do the job perfectly, so I'll probably go with that.

Terry, your 100% right about the smaller fish, most of the ones we get in the springtime are in the 2-5 pound size with the odd lunker, but not too many of them.

And HH, I've already got the board, infact I picked it up about a year ago but I may pick up the Tattle system. I saw them being used on "The Next Bite" a couple days ago and they said exactly the same as you, that they work well when a smaller fish hits.

Hey Lew - I have the Daiwa LCs and the Okuma Catalina LCs and there is no comparison.

Historically, Okuma had some issues with the Magdas and Convectors.

Today, the Catalinas and the Shimano Tekotas are the LCs of choice for most of the serious Salmon guys.

Bonus: after the spring walley hunt you can throw braid on the Catalinas as they can handle the big Muskies.

:-)

Edited by silveradosheriff

I'm with Terry & Fang..

There's no way you'll need a 47-size daiwa LC - a 27 would do.

What I use for spring lakers is a 8.5' steelhead spinning rod rod, along with a 2500 size daiwa spinning reel and CHURCH boards, they are a little smaller than the offshores. I caught a 25lb laker on this setup last spring and probably over 75 up to 8-10lbs over the last two years. Those little 2-5lb eyes will be no problem and with the smaller board it is easier to detect strikes and you can use lighter gear. If you'd rather go with a LC reel then tough to go wrong with the Sealines although the Okuma convector in the smallest size (27??) is quite a bit cheaper and will do the job quite well. I use one of those for dipseys.

Edited by Raf

Today, the Catalinas and the Shimano Tekotas are the LCs of choice for most of the serious Salmon guys.

Bonus: after the spring walley hunt you can throw braid on the Catalinas as they can handle the big Muskies.

:-)

Actually, I've already got a Tekota 600 LC that I use to troll for muskies and was almost contemplating putting some mono on it for the pickeral, but I think it's definetely over-kill for a 5 pound fish :lol:

I'm gonna be taking some serious looks at all the rods & reels that have been mentioned.

I think the sealine 47 is a bit much, unless you are using leadcore. 27's are more than enough. lots of line capacity. I used a 17 this past fall and it was perfect.

The funny thing is one of my favourite rods in my spread is my spare bait caster with the line counter attached to the shaft of the rod. You have to use fireline so you dont run into line capacity issues, I just tie on a 10 foot flouro lead.

Lew how about's i lend you the two set-ups i have: bps signature series with a sealine 27 and a tournament twist with a sealine 47 both loaded with trilene that i use with the trolling bible (can even lend you the trolling bible for the weekend)

then you can decide witch way to spend your money

Edited by ecmilley

corvette1, I've actually been fishing Quinte for over 50 years and spinners & bouncers have always been one of our most successful methods, it's just that I've always wanted to give planer boards a try also.

I've already got a board but was just wondering what rod / reel setup folks preferred with them.

Thanks

Sorry Ernie, looks like we were both posting at the same time.

Thanks for the offer though, it's very generous of you, but I'll be using this new setup every May from now on, so I may as well buy it now.

Lew.. for the bit of pickeral fishing you do... why not just count "wraps" as they come off the spool. # wraps x feet of line/wrap and you're good to go.

Be careful what you post here Wayne, my wife may read this thread and I've got her convinced I absolutely NEED a new line counter reel to be successful at fish'n :lol::thumbsup_anim::lol:

And your right Pete, you & me are gonna have a great 4 days :Gonefishing:

Well lew there has been some awesome information here for you from everyone,but i was just thinking if you only do walleyes a few times in the year,you should consider a set-up that is ok,and not overkill for walleyes yet still enough power to use for those ski's.....that way you will get good use out of it,lots of guys use their salmon rods for walleyes too,but sometimes the rods and reels are a bit much,and you loose your sensitivity,as they are meant for salmon as oposed to walleyes,i have several medium combos that will handle both quinte walleyes yet still ok to use for salmon,and its amazing to get big salmon on a nice walleye setup,you sure get a good fight...so good-luck with whatever you go with....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: oh ya and lew what ernie said might not be a bad idea,and almost all my combos for that reason are around $150-300 bucks, just remember to get a reel with a line counter as its a must,to run crancks at the proper depth,with the trolling bible !!!!!

Edited by fishindevil

I have the same off shore board complete with the tattle flag upgrade and it works great....unless its below freezing

It tends to accumulate a bit of ice, rendering the Tatle flag pretty much encased in ice, and rather useless.

But the boards still ran good.

(found that out on my December misadventure to Merlin Park :rolleyes: )

I use a med/Heavy 7.5 foot Izumi series Shimano rod & a 5000 series Shimano spinning reel....nothing high end but I've had no

issues with the set up what so ever.

Its got enough Backbone, and its not really over kill either, so there is still some play to the fish.

Have fun with the new toy!