Tragic cell phone call about my father

pikehunter

The phone call I had been dreading came today.

My father passed away at approximately noon.

He had been in Burlington's Joseph Brant Hospital for about a week or so after his Doctor had him rushed there by ambulance. They placed him in ICU and realized he had had a major heart attack at home. About 2 days ago he was sent to a ward.

I was on the Grand River this morning fishing without any luck and then headed back to the BBQ to load up the boat and head home to later go to visit my father. I was hoping to have had a couple of pictures for him showing the days catch to maybe cheer him up but I had no luck or resulting pictures for him to see.

As I was pulling out onto the road my cell phone rang (it doesn't receive a signal downstream of the Dunnville dam and everyone had been trying to reach me for the previous hour.) I was told to get to the hospital right away.

I sped home at speeds of over 130 km/hr on country roads with the boat in tow. After dropping it off in the garage at home I went straight to the hospital in Burlington. I was too late, my wife and sister were waiting for me in the lobby. I asked how he is, my sisters answer, "He's gone."

I couldn't believe I never made it in time. In reality he was already gone when they called but no one wanted to tell me the bad news. I wish they had as I wouldn't have driven so recklessly in the hope of making it to the hospital in time. He was still in his hospital room when we went to up to the floor and I got to spend some moments with him.

The story goes that he called my mother on the phone just before she, my sister and her husband were leaving to go see him. My mother wanted to get there to feed him his lunch, his tray was there waiting. They all walked into the room, he looked up at them and says "How are you doing?" My mother answered she was fine and asked him how he was? He responded "I'm good" Then turned his head to the side, made a noise, shuddered, and then just passed away.

I can't get over this just yet. I know he was going to go, his health wasn't too good. I am happy for him to have lived to see 87 years. But it will take some time to get over this.

My father loved fishing right up till a few years ago.

He loved deer and moose hunting.

He was a retired Ironworker, Union Local 736 Hamilton.

He was a cop in Dundas ON, before I was born.

He was a home builder, having built quite a few houses in Hamilton after returning from the war.

He was a World War II Veteran serving in the army as a builder of Baily Bridges and then as a Military Cop.

He with my late brother founded Saltfleet Taxi in the 1960's in Stoney Creek ON which was later sold and has now been absorbed by a larger company.

My father did a wide variety of different things in his life. Even said to hell with it all when I was about 5 years old and sold everything and moved my mother and I down to Florida for a while and soon later returned to Ontario after he discovered that the grass wasn't any greener down south.

Guess I have said enough for now. Just wanted to say something about his life and how he'll be missed. I feel bad I couldn't get him out for more fishing adventures in the last several years but I think he knew that.

I wish I had a digital picture of him fishing on my computer. The best I can do right now is a picture of my mother and him on his 86th birthday while he was in the hospital in May 2006.

I guess the best thing he did of all was fathering my brother, sister and me.

Passed is Richard (Bud) Harrington

Dads86thbirthday.jpg

Edited by pikehunter

Thank you for sharing a bit of what your father was about with us. my families condolences go out to your family.. a very touching reflection on his life...

"Those that have left us are not gone. They are with us, In every breath we take and in everything that we do, they are not forgotten.. They are Remembered, Celebrated and Loved, as it was those we love that make us who we are.."

I wrote that in my notes in October 2002... and I live by it today... give your family a hug and let them know you love them..

Gerritt.

My condolences, I lost my Dad 4 years ago, I did the midnight drive from St Catharines to Linsay Hospital after receiving that same phone call, when I arrived it was to have the Doc tell me he had passed away...I sure wish I had gotten there alittle earlier to say goodbye and tell him how much I loved him. He knew, as your Dad did.

Your father passed away peacefully and with his last words being concern for his family but also saying to you all that he is "good". Don't beat yourself up for not being there, you can talk to him anytime, anywhere.

I could definitely feel the love and pride you have for your Dad in your wonderful tribute to him. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Nancy

Sad news indeed Harry, and condolances from my family to yours. You've written some very nice words about your Dad and it sounds like he lived a full & rewarding life.

Soldier, police officer, ironworker.....he was obviously a brave man and not afraid of a tough days work.