A pair of sunrise muskies

lew

Hi guys, last Thursday night we had a nearly full moon that wasn't gonna set till about 9:30 Friday morning, so I decided to hit the water early Friday morning and see if the rising sun, combined with a full moon would trigger the musky bite.

The week before, I had encountered a couple muskies in 2 different weedbeds. One hit my bait well after dark one night, but I never got the hooks into her, and I hooked the 2nd one, but she tangled herself up in some heavy pencil reeds and before I could get to her, she pulled my bait free.

I wanted to be on the 1st spot just as the sun was breaking the horizon to see if that would be the trigger, and sure enuff, it worked. I stopped the boat about 150' from the spot and slowly worked up to it while casting a large black spinnerbait ahead of me. On the 5th cast, I landed it right on the edge of some pencil reeds in 3' of water and she grabbed it right on cue, exactly where I'd seen her days before.

I was using my homemade camera stand to take the pics, but I musta moved and rocked the boat cause the picture came out lousy, but you get an idea.

Cnv2162.jpg

I released her and ran down the lake about 1000' to the next spot where I'd missed the night time fish the week before. Same as the 1st fish, I stopped early and drifted into position and again after only a few casts the water expoded but she missed the hooks. I continued cranking and she hit the bait again but still never got hold of the hooks. I tried a couple more casts, but she was gone for the day.

I moved along the weed edge about another 100' while still casting the spinner bait and hitting every little point and pocket, and after about 10 minutes there was another big boil in the shallow water and I hooked this girl.

Not the biggun I missed twice now in in a week, but still a nice fish.

Cnv2163.jpg

It's always good when the fish follow the game plan. ;)

It was 7:30 AM and I'd only been fishing for about 30 minutes and I had a couple nice fish in the boat, plus another really nice one that I missed. Not a bad way to start a Friday.

Certainly not monsters, but still lotsa fun.

I continued to fish till 11:30 but never saw another musky, so I guess the rising sun, plus the effect of the nearly full moon had something to do with it.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, maybe I need a new camera. Here's a couple scenery shots from the same morning that came out not too bad.

Cnv2157.jpg

Cnv2159.jpg

Exellent morning Lew......

I didnt figure you for a spiner bait guy...

Weighted Suicks...was all or your GOTO bait

Itwas textbook when you stated..."I came up on them from about 1000' and started to cast.

Myself, as well as many others have benefited from justthis sortof reportand it has come directly from you.

Who needs waypointswhen we haveYou, Lew to give this wealth of Info.

Great/Glad to see...

Thank-YouBud

peter

HeyLew...........

I know you said it was friday.....but to be there meant you musthave been close on the thursday.......

Thursadyswerealways you report/postand grasscutting days........at home.

Wuz Up????????/

For me and a lot of otherfolk,,,we werenot used to seeing reports from you until thursdays.

Goog to see you regardless.........

Best of thoughts.........pete