douG's Fly In Report near Red Lake

douG

I appreciate the time and effort it took to post that Doug, thanks!

Sounds like an amazing trip, with first class accomodations and food. Until I read the last few lines of your report I was thinking what a great place to maybe bring my wife to...

Gotta tell you, I've flown in the evening before the scheduled morning departure of a bunch of my fly-in trips. In every instance when they did this there was a nominal fee, sometimes no fee, as it was to their benefit as well freeing up the plane when they were busier in the morning. Now, none of my trips were to an expensive 5 star lodge, but still, it sure sounds as though you were taken advantage of and that sucks!

Personally I would have refused to pay it, I mean what are they going to do refuse to fly you out?

Without getting into the details here I had a somewhat similar situation with an outfitter last August that was, let's just say, pretty unpleasant. In the end I stood my ground and refused to pay any extra charges...never heard a peep from him again.

cheers, Mike

Thanks for taking (your sweet) time to post such a time consuming and elaborate report Doug. Looks like Papa and friends enjoyed themselves immensely. Those lakers sure are dark in that water and those walleye are just beautiful. Sounds like all four of you could stand to diet a little this week as well. Thanks again Doug, just an outstanding report.

ps. I have a feeling that most folks on this board would have gladly paid the extra $200 to have a chance at the trip that you just experienced.

Just checked Booi's brochure and prices were listed by the day. Nothing was mentioned about arriving late and spending the night at a gotcha rate. The charge could be justified if you had an unscheduled flight for your convenience and the plane returned to Red Lake empty. Flying costs are expensive.

In May our guys went in the night before, fished about 5 hours, and were not charged. Also 7 of us stayed an extra day to accommodate the flying schedule and we were not charged for the extra day.

Sweet report and trip Doug! I can forgive you for taking so long to share it :lol: Thanks for taking the time to include all the fishing details, the photos and the lessons learned...will definitely keep those in mind if/when I get to go on a fly in trip! Thanks again!!!

bly

Doug, that was just an outstanding report!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping: Thank you very much for the time and effort put into it, a great read. Too bad about the burn on the extra charges. Certainly something that we'll all keep in mind if any of us should choose to go to this place. Thanks for the heads up!

Well there, I finally realized you added more pics and the rest of your trip, DOH!. Just lovely DouG. An experience you won't soon forget. As for the $800 for one night, that was a dirty trick for sure. It's a shame really since everything seemed to go so well.

Joey

• 3 weeks later...