Greencoachdog

Yup I had a 16 foot Chaparell fiberglass boat open deck ,a really nice boat carpet the whole nine yards.Everytime I would stop fast the water came over the stern and on to the carpet.Problem solved I bought a Lund and I never need the splash guard.

The story of the Knuckle heads was great. :thumbsup_anim:

Yep ... had some nasty weather in a rental where the only option was to throw anchor out the front on a short rope and let the wind blow you back to shore bow-into-the wind ... I have had a few waves over the stern while trying to outrun the weather ... not fun in a heavy steel rental like the ones at Waubaushene ....

but no big deal if you can keep your nose into the wind... by the way ... awesome action in these conditions :)

Glen, the exact same thing happened to a couple friends of mine quite a few years back on the French River, when they brought their own knucklehead along for a pickeral trip. They were gonna fish an eddy just off the fast water, but before they got in position, their knucklehead did the same thing and tossed out the stern anchor.

Trouble was, they were still in fairly deep water when the anchor grabbed, and when the stern went down and filled the boat with water, it actually sank, tossing them all into the current, and one of the boys couldn't swim a stroke and was pulled under. Fortunately, the others were able to find him and get him to shore. He was unconscious, but finally came around and made a full recovery, but it shows how fast a tragedy could happen.

Sadly, one of the fella's on that boat, a very good friend of mine for many years, and one of the best musky fishermen I ever knew, died 2 years ago, and unfortunately, his wife just died yesterday :(

On a much lighter note, when myself & eddyk were were just little kids, we were going fishing with our grandfather one day while on a camping trip. We loaded the fish'n gear in the boat, untied the bow line and hopped in. Grampa was at the tiller and hit the gas, but nuthin was happening, other than the bow rising and the stern dropping. The more throttle he gave it, the lower the stern went until the water poured in and down we went......glug, glug, glug :o

Yup, Gramps had neglected to untie the stern line :P

We were Ok though, cause the water was only 4 feet deep, but it's something I'll never forget. I can still see the old wooden floor boards and half our tackle floating off into the sunset :lol:

I've been in a few boats where we have had water over the transom when stopping. It's only happened on boats with high power though... At the BOQ, guy with a bass boat would have it happen nearly every time he would stop, of course it was from full out to full stop. It was a unning joke to stand up every time we stopped. Last time was this September on Nippissing in my friends bowrider, just finished a 65mph rip from the south to the sturgeon river, shut her down and whoosh water over the rear.

Never have we had enough water to swamp the boat, but enough to qualify us for a wet t-shirt contest definately.

cd.

Actually Glen it happens on boats that have alot of weight in the ass end of the boat. Alot of your go fast jet boats with 454 motors and berkley pumps on them will wash over if you come off of plane fast and dont blip the throttle to get ahead of the wave. A few bass boats also with the big 225 outboards can do it also. I washed the deck on Chris's boat the first time I came off of plane to fast good thing I was fishin in the back or it would have been his stuff that got all wet.

Art

I have seen water come over the transom a few times. As more of a great lakes angler I have had the chance to fish big water a number of times. The largest I seen was on Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron) in Michigan we had 2 waves while trolling for walleyes come over the transom. More than that, they came over the motor a 150 Optimax. I have also had some water wash over on lake Erie a few times but nothing like Saginaw Bay.

Edited by Bob Devine

I heard a story about a boat downrigging wasaga bay a few years ago. They got hooked on nets and the boat went down with the two guys.

Once in my boat i had to do an emergency stop. I went from full speed to neutral gave it one second then i went reverse half speed. I looked back and the stern just came up on the wave no problem. Had to buy new underware though.

If the boat is heavy in the stern with a big motor then i can see it getting water over the back and going down.

I get this on my boat fairly often, (18 tracker tundra with a 2 stroke 150, and 6hp on the back). Like some of the others just when powering down quickly. It is just the small wave of water coming over the edge, can usually get friends with the water a couple of times :angel:

I heard a story about a boat downrigging wasaga bay a few years ago. They got hooked on nets and the boat went down with the two guys.

Once in my boat i had to do an emergency stop. I went from full speed to neutral gave it one second then i went reverse half speed. I looked back and the stern just came up on the wave no problem. Had to buy new underware though.

If the boat is heavy in the stern with a big motor then i can see it getting water over the back and going down.

If its the same story I heard; it was backing the boat up into the waves in an attempt to save the down riggers that sunk the boat. If that happens, just cut the cables and buy a new set of cannon balls.

I got swamped by a tow once. I was pullin onto the top of an island on the ohio river to let my son go take a leek and a tow was comming down river with out any barges, it was haulin a$$. I just beached the jon boat he got out and I turned around and a 3 foot wave came over the back soaked me and about half the boat was full. When there pushin barges there's normally not much wake but alone ya gotta watch them. lesson learned.