Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As long as the boat and equipment seize is permanent and auctioned off the punishment is harsh enough.

 Those fish were definitely headed to market without a single doubt

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

As long as the boat and equipment seize is permanent and auctioned off the punishment is harsh enough.

 Those fish were definitely headed to market without a single doubt

They seize,but if fines are paid,they get them back in most cases. Back 20+ years ago, there were 4 boats locked up to a tree at a motel for 4 weeks. Large tag on them. They sat there til the fines were paid. Owners got their boats back.

The charge was over harvesting perch . I watched as the CO was over 2 miles away, watching through high tec bio,s . They had them solid . Catch,take to ramp,unload,and out again they went . They were swapping out coolers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mamona said:

This is awesome. What do you mean guys by "fish were definitely headed to market"??

For sale in live tanks.  There are legit ones, but how can one tell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2021 at 2:07 PM, misfish said:

They seize,but if fines are paid,they get them back in most cases. Back 20+ years ago, there were 4 boats locked up to a tree at a motel for 4 weeks. Large tag on them. They sat there til the fines were paid. Owners got their boats back.

The charge was over harvesting perch . I watched as the CO was over 2 miles away, watching through high tec bio,s . They had them solid . Catch,take to ramp,unload,and out again they went . They were swapping out coolers.

Won’t be long before they use drones like the MOL does on construction sites. 
 

And good on them, crack down and seize it all. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pics said:

I wonder if that's how Scugog got fished out..

I'll bet that less than a few percent of poachers ever get caught and how many of that small number get a wallet busting fine and do it again anyway.   We used to see a particular group on Simcoe that would make repeated trips back to the car on shore with whities and then go get more.  Unfortunately no CO's around to deal with it.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Unfortunately no CO's around to deal with it.

Wouldn't a phone call help? Say you are witnessing a crime, wouldn't they send someone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mamona said:

Wouldn't a phone call help? Say you are witnessing a crime, wouldn't they send someone?

Unfortunately they didn't have anyone in the area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We rented a cottage on Sturgeon a few years ago. We watched a group of people sharing a motel room, a group of about 12 people. They fished every day, all day keeping everything that came over the gunnels, which was mostly pannies. When the buckets got full, they would head to shore where the buckets were grabbed and taken to the room where a team of people were waiting to clean them up.

This went on fro most of the week we were there. I have to suspect that they were selling the fish/fillets somewhere....

HH

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

thats part of the problem here...$1000 fine? They had over 100 fish in one outing. Something tells me its somewhat easy to make that $1000 back and get back to commercially fishing again in no time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It says their fishing equipment was seized.  The fishing boat and trailer were seized at the scene, but it doesn't sound like they were forfeited?  And their vehicle???

Edited by akaShag
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want you to know that here in michigan our DNR is keeping a watch on fish poaching as well. We all need to keep this resource in check so we can have fish for our future generation! This is my first post but and i highly value conservation and its impact on everyone to conserve is protect!

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/2dac033

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...