Fishing Gloves

Dan668

Its that time of year where I start to cast for musky. Looking to see if anyone has found a good pair of gloves that allows you to cast without issue. This post pretty much comes up each year.

Ive read on a few forums where people recommend Kast Steelhead gloves, but im not sure if they are available in Canada, and on their main site for the past year or two, they havent had any larger sizing so i am not sure whats going on with them. I seen on orvis' website they have the glove but again have to ship from stateside and guess my size. 

Currently ive just been using basic little black cotton gloves and bringing a dozen of them lol, just swap them out when they get too wet. And sometimes slip a handwarmer in. It gets me by. 

The best winter steelheading gloves I ever had were hand knit by a friend's mom years ago,  Only the tip of the thumb , index finger and middle finger were exposed, the ring finger and pinkie were full fingers.  I both fished spin tackle and float reel with them no problem, she did a few pairs for guys, unfortunately moths got to mine after many seasons of use.  

1 hour ago, mitch seguin said:

No one that I have spoken to who used the Kast gloves liked them.  I use the extream Simms gloves on windy days or a pair of thick lined fingerless rag wool gloves on calm days.

I actually have a pair of fingerless rag wool gloves that have a fold over mitt portion. They are warm, but the thumb has no hole. Ive been thinking of altering it also. 

20 hours ago, jimmer said:

Have you thought of putting latex gloves under the cotton ones?

Too funny, just left the hospital and am sat in the truck eating lunch reading the forum, 10 minutes ago before I left the hospital I asked the Doc if she would let me have a few XL latex gloves for the exact reason you mentioned, she gave me a whole bunch!

6D32BE67-87FA-4925-A9FB-65AACE574FE0.jpeg

26 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

Too funny, just left the hospital and am sat in the truck eating lunch reading the forum, 10 minutes ago before I left the hospital I asked the Doc if she would let me have a few XL latex gloves for the exact reason you mentioned, she gave me a whole bunch!

6D32BE67-87FA-4925-A9FB-65AACE574FE0.jpeg

You do have to get ones that fit properly.

i have rynauds syndrome...kast steelhead gloves with a hot pack is the only thing that gets me through the fall and winter...without em i literally wouldnt be able to fish.

I own 2 pairs for when one inevitably gets damp after a long day of fishing.

Your hands will stay dry but the gloves do become saturated much like a gortex jacket. They are the best things that I have found on the market.

17 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i have rynauds syndrome...kast steelhead gloves with a hot pack is the only thing that gets me through the fall and winter...without em i literally wouldnt be able to fish.

I own 2 pairs for when one inevitably gets damp after a long day of fishing.

Your hands will stay dry but the gloves do become saturated much like a gortex jacket. They are the best things that I have found on the market.

Sweet, thats what most have told me. Not perfect but good. I may try a pair. I seen on their instagram that they are releasing a new pair, probably the reason why theirs no sizing on their website. 

12 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

unfortunately, not waterproof...for guys like me with screwed up hands, dunking my hands in ice water basically ends my day unless i can miraculously warm them up again somehow.

18 hours ago, Dan668 said:

Sweet, thats what most have told me. Not perfect but good. I may try a pair. I seen on their instagram that they are releasing a new pair, probably the reason why theirs no sizing on their website. 

Im excited to see the new design as well, apparently one thing they have added is a touchscreen finger which is awesome. I could see myself picking up a pair for sure.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:47 PM, mitch seguin said:

No one that I have spoken to who used the Kast gloves liked them.  I use the extream Simms gloves on windy days or a pair of thick lined fingerless rag wool gloves on calm days.

Yup, wasn't a fan of them at all.   They touted them as gloves you could actually leave on while steelheading (lol not even close)  

I have a pair of Simms Skeena neoprene gloves which would keep your hands dry, looks like they've replaced them with the Kispiox. I can fly fish with them and even tie knots, I just waste more tippet as it's like tying them with super-fat fingers! The only thing that doesn't work is palming a reel as they're too "grippy"

If you watch west coast fishing shows you will see most westcoast anglers wear the full  blue latex gloves shown above. They do it for warmth and also to keep their human smell off the bait or lures they are using. I used to use Marmot fingerless climbing gloves. They were great because they were dureable and felt dry even when wet. I checked their website and it appears they are no longer made. I like the silicone treatment on fleese gloves as getting waterlogged has always been the issue with them. For sun protection in summer I cut the fingers out of a pair of white cotton work gloves. Keeps the sun off my hands and it's no big deal when you get a hook caught in the material. I ruined several pairs of expensive sungloves by doing just that and  they did not do a better job blocking sunlight. The dollar store also has green cotton gloves with a rough latex palm that is great at holding the shape integrity of the gloves. I never used them for fishing but they were great for weight training  including blister producing rope workouts

Edited by Snidley
content addition

• 4 years later...