Pulled trigger on new boat, bring on Spring

dintymoore

The wife and I had looked at a few boats last year the tail end of summer and into fall. Looked at the Lund Fury, Crestliner Discovery, and an Alumacraft Escape. Of the 3, I liked the Alumacraft. Attending the Toronto boat show last week threw a slight monkey wrench as she really liked the Starcraft Stealth. We let two dealers fight it out a bit and as it turned out, we were able to get into an Alumacraft Classic for the price of the Escape.

It comes equipped with the 50 Yamaha (tiller), 55 minn kota, and I had them upgrade the finder to the helix5 with down / side imaging with GPS. What i'm wondering is, what is involved in switching  12- 24v plug in up front? We primarily fish smaller to medium sized lakes. Am I right in assuming features such as iPilot are exclusive to the 24v applications?

9 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

awesome congrats! I also bought an alumacraft a couple of years ago. Wasn't as sexy looking as some of the other boats I was considering, but seemed to be of a better construction.  Mine has been great hope you find yours the same

That was my exact thought. Sure, the Starcraft might have fancier looking paint and lettering but the thickness and double plated hull was hard to pass on. I'll see about switching now. I'll take delivery in April.

8 hours ago, dintymoore said:

The wife and I had looked at a few boats last year the tail end of summer and into fall. Looked at the Lund Fury, Crestliner Discovery, and an Alumacraft Escape. Of the 3, I liked the Alumacraft. Attending the Toronto boat show last week threw a slight monkey wrench as she really liked the Starcraft Stealth. We let two dealers fight it out a bit and as it turned out, we were able to get into an Alumacraft Classic for the price of the Escape.

It comes equipped with the 50 Yamaha (tiller), 55 minn kota, and I had them upgrade the finder to the helix5 with down / side imaging with GPS. What i'm wondering is, what is involved in switching  12- 24v plug in up front? We primarily fish smaller to medium sized lakes. Am I right in assuming features such as iPilot are exclusive to the 24v applications?

my buddy has a terrova 12v ...shes a beauty.

Welcome to the alumacraft family...i havent been more happy with a boat in my life. Weve got a yammy too...cant go wrong.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:58 AM, dintymoore said:

Nice Rig! You're gonna enjoy it

My recommendation would be to upgrade the TM to an 80 as you've indicated (and grp 31 batteries).  The iLink is also really nice.  Regarding your graph, i'm not to familiar with the Helix 5 series but make sure it has a Micro SD slot.  Better yet, see if you can get a model with navionics bundled in.  For me, the chartplotter w/navionics has been single most impressive development I've experienced in fishing.  PM me if you have any questions on any of this.

Honestly, as long as the boat comes with 6awg wiring, it will literally be plug and play on the TM side. You will just need to complete the 24v setup in the battery compartment which may require a different breaker/fuse and a jumper to go between the positive on one battery and negative on the other. 

Congrats on the new ride. 

Nice rig. Enjoy it

I have basically the same size but with side console and a 60

I put a terrova 12v i pilot on it last year and it works just fine.

it was going to be a pain switching to 24v so I didn't and don't regret it a bit

less expensive motor, less cost for batteries

Do get an onboard charger though

Went up to iPilot version of the same 55 lb TM.  Got Navioncs bundled in with the finder, trailer guides and a couple other little things, including 3 Alumatrac attachments. Question; what to do for Rod holders? Who makes the best? Seems a lot of folks like the Folbies?  This particular dealer didn't seem to know what they were, but had some options available to them - Cannon, attwood, Ram, Scotty... And maybe a couple others I can't recall.

good boats, I got an escape a couple years back with the 50hp Yammy. I switched to the 80lb 24volt, I am very technically challenged but managed to switch it from 12V to 24V in an afternoon, biggest pain was the re routing of the wiring, like someone else said, get the dealer to do it....lol. I pilot is a solid piece of kit. Only thing I'd suggest as others have is to go up to 80lbs on the TM, makes a lot of difference, and since you got a deal on the boat go treat yourself on the Ulterra, go on...because you're worth it....lol!

Couple things to look for on your trailer (yes, your trailer), radial tires, spare radial tire with a holder for it, guides (which you have) and rear ratcheting tie downs.  Some dealers will omit these things to bring their costs down and all are important for you to have.  

Enjoy the new ride!

On 1/24/2018 at 9:15 AM, Dara said:

Do get an onboard charger though

How does the onboard charger work anyhow?  It draws excess juice from the outboard's alternator and keeps the battery for troller, finder & accessories topped off? With my old boat, I would just throw a trickle charge on it when in my drive way while not in use. Is there much involved in setting one up?

I'll roll with this set up for the season and see how I feel about it in the off-season. Working in an auto shop, I should have access to all of the tools and materials I might need for upgrading to a 24v set up, and it would give me a project to keep busy after hours. I see that iLink is not compatible with the Helix5 i've got, and i'm not sure about the internal sonar in the trolling motor. For anyone with a Alumacraft, did you receive mounting brackets for your alumatrac system? Just wondering if they should come standard, or if they are extra?

3 hours ago, dintymoore said:

How does the onboard charger work anyhow?  It draws excess juice from the outboard's alternator and keeps the battery for troller, finder & accessories topped off? With my old boat, I would just throw a trickle charge on it when in my drive way while not in use. Is there much involved in setting one up?

Onboard charger is wired to your batteries, simply plug it in when you get home.