Bear shot in Scarborough

John Bacon

A question. In December 1972 I walked into the Outdoor Store in Hamilton and bought a single shot 12 gauge shotgun and a box of shells, no I.D. or FAC required. What would happen to me if, and I say if, I still had that gun that I legally bought and used it to shoot a Bear that was coming through my patio door? Or a Bush wolf, or a Cougar that doesn't exist in Ontario? Or one of the Bob Cat's that do exist in the woods behind us? Sounds rhetorical but isn't.

A question. In December 1972 I walked into the Outdoor Store in Hamilton and bought a single shot 12 gauge shotgun and a box of shells, no I.D. or FAC required. What would happen to me if, and I say if, I still had that gun that I legally bought and used it to shoot a Bear that was coming through my patio door? Or a Bush wolf, or a Cougar that doesn't exist in Ontario? Or one of the Bob Cat's that do exist in the woods behind us? Sounds rhetorical but isn't.

Shoot

Shovel

Shut-up

(After calling me so I can get some fur for tying flies with)

Edited by Tom S

Shoot

Shovel

Shut-up

(After calling me so I can get some fur for tying flies with)

We live in the country, on a lake covered in waterfowl, woods full of game. Torontonians that have bought here hear gunshots and call 911.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No doubt police did the right thing considering the situation. They did call MNR to try to save the bear. I'm sure most of you know that bears knocking over cans in suburbia or wandering around campgrounds behave much differently from those in the wild. A friend and I did a day paddle thru an area near Sparrow lake last week. We saw 5! A big massive bruin munching on some greenery bounded off once we mad a little bit of noise. OTOH, we were driven out of Killbear last Aug by bears that were breaking into cars for food!!

Ive been donating money for years to help re populate Toronto with bears.

I pulled up the map quick. Theres a rail line that runs south of lake scugog right into the area where the bear was shot. For a bear it not that far to travel. Theres a good documentary on coyotes in Toronto and its assumed they use the rail lines to navigate through the city, id imagine lots of animals use it the same way.

There probably shouldnt be bears wandering around Toronto, Id feel sorry for what the bear had to deal with everyday!!! lol

The biggest bear Ive ever seen was at 9pm walking through Terrace Bay, it was huge.

Ive been donating money for years to help re populate Toronto with bears.

I pulled up the map quick. Theres a rail line that runs south of lake scugog right into the area where the bear was shot. For a bear it not that far to travel. Theres a good documentary on coyotes in Toronto and its assumed they use the rail lines to navigate through the city, id imagine lots of animals use it the same way.

There probably shouldnt be bears wandering around Toronto, Id feel sorry for what the bear had to deal with everyday!!! lol

The biggest bear Ive ever seen was at 9pm walking through Terrace Bay, it was huge.

Giving money to these guys? http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/toronto-black-bears-self-taught-doctor-bathroomless-condo-canadian-invasion-1.3772835/city-of-toronto-to-reintroduce-black-bears-into-the-don-valley-1.3773030

Lol no I was just kidding about donating. I think the WFF is quiet about hunting, not sure if secretly any money opposes it.

We are starting to get some city people with hobby farms that have 5 acres and try to control hunting in the surrounding areas which is non of their business. Usually the same ones that complain about the livestock farms, smell etc.

I think it's great to see bears moving back in southern Ontario, they don't bother me at all. Had some around parkhill and oil springs last summer.

If you shoot Bob's cat you'd better hope Bob doesn't figure out.

You'd be in trouble because you were supposed to obtain a possession only licence a decade + ago.. then register the gun.. for the now defunct registry that was to be destroyed by all involved, but of course every police force still has a a copy of it. Now if you had of got that possession only licence back when.. you could enjoy the fact that it has now evolved into automatically giving you a PAL level permit and you can buy as many guns as you want! :canadian:

Edited by irishfield

Scarborough is a dangerous spot for a bear to be running around. Anybody could get hurt.

Shoot and be done with it. Pass on the media questions...except for the Liberals MNRF...ask them what the heck is going on...harass them constantly

and the bear prolly wanted to get away from the blackflies

Edited by Dara