Wake up Cobourg, Fishing is NOT a crime!

Ron

Well, if any of you have fished Cobourg Brook this season, you would have seen new signs posted at the entrance to various access points.

anglers%20and%20users%20of%20the%20park.

They had a public meeting a week or so back now and many many many anglers were present to show the town this is not acceptable.

We hope the town council has listened but to be sure, I put a reminder on the back of my truck for them to read.

finac%20cobourg.jpg

Unfortunately, a few anglers who do not respect the area/property and ruining it for others. I will not tolerate this and we are now lobbying the town to enforce the existing bylaws, not change the bylaws. As it stands right now, it is illegal to even take a picture of a sunrise in Cobourg as you are breaking the law to get to the waters edge.

The deputy Mayor said "Oh no, that's alright, you are just walking through the park, your not stopping"! Yes people, if you are walking your dog, or going to take pictures of the sunrise, it's OK. But HEAVEN FORBID, you got a fishing rod in your hand, guarenteed, the home owners will call the cops!

If anyone is interested in putting a sticker on their vehicle, they are 5 bucks for a small one. (about 6 inches high, 8 inches wide).

it means that no one is allowed to use the park until 7am, by law will not give a rats @ss what the deputy mayor has 'said' they will go by what is written in the book. port hope has the same by laws, and pretty sure all city parks everywhere are the same. its a general noise by law. the major complaint will be doors slamming shut, horns going off when locking vehicals at 5am or earlier, and then the few groups of excited anglers having loud conversations.

they are posting signs as a warning. if you are accessing/using the park before 7am, you could be charged. even passing through,is considered using the park.

any town i have been in the bylaws offices pick and choose with rules to write tickets based on the town council as in the deputy mayor, and him saying that shows which way the council is going so I personally will care about his opinion

any town i have been in the bylaws offices pick and choose with rules to write tickets based on the town council as in the deputy mayor, and him saying that shows which way the council is going so I personally will care about his opinion

So Terry you think they are posting these new rules to quiet the cranky folks or will impose them? I bet they impose them at least for a little while.

I guess I'll be the odd one out here-----it seems like a reasonable solution to a problem. A problem created, no doubt, by fishermen---albeit a small minority. It's quite likely that some councillors wanted a complete ban and the new rule(and sign) represents a compromise.

The solution is enforcement of existing by laws. Nail the idiots who are giving anglers a bad name, don't punish the good ones. Attitudes like yours are what makes this world so messed up!!!

S.

The solution is enforcement of existing by laws. Nail the idiots who are giving anglers a bad name, don't punish the good ones. Attitudes like yours are what makes this world so messed up!!!

S.

You mean I can't have an opinion different from yours. Since when do we live in a dictatorship???

I'll pipe in. I wonder if you need to buy a license and an Outdoors Card to walk your Dog? Now I will give you the point of view of a homeowner next to a fishing spot. I know a couple that built a beautiful home next to a creek that holds fish. It was opened for years. It was always private property. The County bought it and fenced it off. Everyone is blaming the home owners of complaining which they did not. Their home has been egged when they aren't there, it's a vacation home they paid huge for. I might have complained long ago, bon fires and hoppin and hollerin at all hours of the night, music blaring from their boom boxes and 600 watt car stereos. Hortons cups, Styrofoam worm containers, empty beer cans and bottles, I would have complained long ago. Cops chase them out and they are back the next weekend. It was never like that until 10 years or so. So now no one can fish there or launch a tinny like they have for hundreds of years.

I see both sides. Proper enforcement of existing laws would be the best solution...but we all know that will never happen...the resources/manpower to do this properly will never happen. So a solution has to be made, and I don't care which solution you pick...someone or some group will be upset.

I kinda have to side with SirCranksaLot on this one. I think it's a fair compromise...but having said that...I don't think it will ever be properly enforced either.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Law enforcement is key, or I should say lack thereof. Cops resources are stretch to the limit as is. Chasing bad fishermen and unruly whippersnappers with nothing more to do than make noise and a mess is not high on their list of priorities. Just look at local news every AM and you know the Cops have more important things to do.