first boat ride of the year

Freshtrax

Tough fishing Sunday we trolled for hours without moving a rod. Ended up with this guy my dads first brown he was pretty pumped. Not huge but a nice mean looking fish. Best part was Getting out with dad as we only fish together a few times a year.

IMG_0705_zpsllfoxkbx.jpg

Edited by Freshtrax

I'm jealous. I need to get my boat out ASAP, no excuses.

That is one pretty fish there. You must be proud to put the Pops on his first Brown. I have never got one yet as well. I don't fish for them but this month yes sir. I am expanding the pic to see what you are using. No clues.

Nice, I always found a more stealthy approach would catch more Browns, planer boards or further back than 50 feet if behind the boat when flatlining or rigging in shallower water.

Usually us too, ran planers flatlines and long leads all day with no success. Didn't see a rod move on any boat out there. Sometimes ya just gotta treat em like bass , put the lure infront of their nose and piss them off.

Temps were 38-42. Mostly cooler with tiny pockets of warmer water

Edited by Freshtrax

I just today went through my thousands of dollars of plugs, spinners and spoons. I need to call the Insurance company. Since I took my pension I buy a lure every month on pay week, $10.00 X 12 = $120.00 X 17 = $2040.00. I know I spend more than 10 bananas a month so it's probably closer to 4K not $2000.00. Don't add it up.

Sharpened hooks, changed hooks and swivels and polished chrome. I have them lined up in order of weapons of mass destruction. All I need is some warmer weather (arthritis and cold mornings is a no go now) and to turn the key on the StarCraft.

Thanks for the tips Andrew.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

any time you boat one on the fist outing of the year, in the first week of April is a bonus - guess I decided to pull up just a little bit too soon? - saw you heading out to PD direction, and we ended our day there. Saw a ton of hooks on the screen but nothing was moving. you must got that right on his schnozola. Sounds like it was your lucky spoon again?

any time you boat one on the fist outing of the year, in the first week of April is a bonus - guess I decided to pull up just a little bit too soon? - saw you heading out to PD direction, and we ended our day there. Saw a ton of hooks on the screen but nothing was moving. you must got that right on his schnozola. Sounds like it was your lucky spoon again?

Ha it was a Hail Mary . not what first comes to mind when I think of a brown trout lure , I even said to my dad " check out all the teeth marks" when I put it on.

I know the shoreline is like a double/double right now with the wind and the rain but from my experience most guys are too far offshore for early season browns from watching the lake at my street and my own many years on the water. If you are not POing the shore casters you are out too far IMHO. Steve seems to have the early season browns dialed in .