Toronto Sportsman's Show-1st timer

seanik

I will be going to the Toronto Sportsman's show for the first time on Thursday March 16th, arrival time about 11:00 Am from Fort Erie. It looks as if the 407 ETR would be our best route to the show, any insight or better directions is appreciated.

Thank you,

Seanik in Erie Pa

Do they even charge out of province plates?

Last year when I drove down I used it a few times. Never got a bill.

Same with any of the ones down in Florida the year before. ;)

Out-of-Province users, including those from the U.S.A., who choose to use 407 ETR, Highway 407 (east of Broad Road) and/or Highway 412 are responsible for all tolls, fees and interest under the Highway 407 Act and/or the Highway 407 East Act. At the end of each monthly billing cycle, the all-electronic system calculates all tolls, fees and interest and a bill is sent in Canadian dollars, due upon mailing. (see Tolls Explained)

From what I understand, they have reciprocal billing agreements with other provinces and states. I am not sure about NWT. I have never driving with out of province plates, so I cannot confirm this.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for the 407 at that time of the day. An 11:00 AM arrival time should skip the worst of rush hour so traffic shouldn't be too big of a problem.

You should be fine just taking the 403 to QEW to 427 to Dixon. The 407 is great, but a the time you're going, the QEW and 427 should be fine and out of rush hour. However, I don't know if there is any construction or anything atm though.

Edited by adempsey

A few years back Pennsylvania was considering making Interstate 80 a toll road with no toll booths and camera's to record license plates for billing much like the 407 ETR. Pa and Ont. got into a Pi$$ing contest about exchanging license plate data and nothing was exchanged. The folks who operate the 407 ETR don't have Pa license data hence no address to send the billing. I believe most states such as NY, Ohio and Mich. have done the exchange and their residents get billed. I have used the 407 ETR without getting billed but it's a matter of time before our weak knead politicians violate our privacy.

Seanik

They definitely bill out of province plates.

To the OP, the 407 is very expensive. I think from Hamilton to Toronto is about $30 one way.

And the Sportsman show last year was very good, its VERY busy. Its mostly resorts up north as well, lots of fly ins.

They definitely bill out of province plates.

To the OP, the 407 is very expensive. I think from Hamilton to Toronto is about $30 one way.

And the Sportsman show last year was very good, its VERY busy. Its mostly resorts up north as well, lots of fly ins.

Pretty sure there is a sign on the 407 that says out of province plates will be billed however not sure how it would work for people from the U.S. The cost is just under $30. I take it home everyday from work. But like stated before if your leaving early you would be fine taking Qew to 427.

Edited by Musky Plug

I have used the 407 ETR without getting billed but it's a matter of time before our weak knead politicians violate our privacy.

Seanik

What does your privacy have to do with you paying to use a service? If you use the 407, you should be billed. Doesn't matter where you live.

BillM

The Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania has very strict privacy laws for it's citizens, the license plate data has much information on it including an address. The data exchange didn't happen between Pa. and Ont. but NAFTA did and the flood of Ontario plated trucks on our toll free highways increased greatly, good for Ont. and good for the US. On my 2 annual fishing trips to Canada I spend in excess of 4,000 dollars I hope that pays for some of the services I get. 407ETR has no toll booths , so how do I pay Bill, maybe a big placard taped to my tailgate with my billing address. Seriously though, I love my trips to Ontario even considered duel citizenship in my younger days, but the arrival of children and mortgage's got in the way. If you are ever down my way in Pa. dinners is on me.

Seanik

seanik, may I ask what prompted you to decide to drive all he way to Toronto to see the Sportsman Show? I personally have boycotted it for years when it turned from a Sportsman Show to a Millionaires home show. The stuff they are flogging there just isn't in my budget. Those were the days when you could walk out with a goodie bag of inexpensive or even free stuff. I think Ford was POTUS though. I hope you have a great time though, just not for many folks and myself these days.

Old Ironmaker

The main reason for going to the Sportsman show is planning and researching the next fishing adventure. We have booked a June 2017 fly in with Lac Natakim- Moselle outfitters in Quebec and they will be at the show. Also we are planning a fly in out of White River, Ontario to Lake Kabinakagami with meal plan. There will be 3 Outfitters from Kaby at the show all with the same services but with quite a difference in price, one offers a seniors discount in August. Personal contact with outfitters helps in the selection process plus the planning is half the enjoyment. Fifty years ago at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto I discovered eating French Fries with vinegar was better than ketchup and never looked back, looking forward to refreshing that memory.

Seanik

BillM

The Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania has very strict privacy laws for it's citizens, the license plate data has much information on it including an address. The data exchange didn't happen between Pa. and Ont. but NAFTA did and the flood of Ontario plated trucks on our toll free highways increased greatly, good for Ont. and good for the US. On my 2 annual fishing trips to Canada I spend in excess of 4,000 dollars I hope that pays for some of the services I get. 407ETR has no toll booths , so how do I pay Bill, maybe a big placard taped to my tailgate with my billing address. Seriously though, I love my trips to Ontario even considered duel citizenship in my younger days, but the arrival of children and mortgage's got in the way. If you are ever down my way in Pa. dinners is on me.

Seanik

I'm actually jealous you don't have to pay your 407 bills :) The next time you're up this way, bring me a few cases of Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout? :) :)

Old Ironmaker

The main reason for going to the Sportsman show is planning and researching the next fishing adventure. We have booked a June 2017 fly in with Lac Natakim- Moselle outfitters in Quebec and they will be at the show. Also we are planning a fly in out of White River, Ontario to Lake Kabinakagami with meal plan. There will be 3 Outfitters from Kaby at the show all with the same services but with quite a difference in price, one offers a seniors discount in August. Personal contact with outfitters helps in the selection process plus the planning is half the enjoyment. Fifty years ago at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto I discovered eating French Fries with vinegar was better than ketchup and never looked back, looking forward to refreshing that memory.

Seanik

Sportsman show is garbage in general, but I do agree with a post above about it being better last year. If I was planning a fishing trip I could see it being fun checking out all the booths, I'll give you that

And fries are better with both ketchup and vinegar (well not McDonald's fries tho)

Enjoy your time

No, it's at the International Centre now. So, the Toronto Sportsman Show is no longer in Toronto.

Everything at the International Center is called the "Toronto _______". The international center us a better venue anyways. Easier to drive to. Free parking. No battling the DVP or QEW

Old Ironmaker

Seanik

There is no need to travel all the way to Toronto area to book a fly in trip when you have a MUCH better show to see in your own state.

https://www.greatamericanoutdoorshow.org/

Mister G

Distance to Toronto from Erie Pa = 190 miles

Distance to Harrisburg Pa from Erie Pa = 300 miles

The reason for attending The Sportsman's show in Toronto instead of the Outdoors show in Harrisburg Pa is distance and travel time plus I believe more outfitters are present at the Sportsman show, also the outfitters I am mainly interested in are all at the Sportsman's show.

Seanik