Ethanol -free gas is no longer available...

siwash

I only recently learned that Shell doesn't sell ethanol free gas... Apparently General Mao, I mean Justin Trudeau's Govt, made it mandatory for ALL gas to contain at least 10% as of 2024. The logic behind this (and just about everything else they do) is mind-boggling. 

So are you guys concerned about your boat engines and other small motors?  Are you simply just adding stuff like marine-grade Sta-Bil or Seafoam? Are you using reg, premium? 

I've run my 23 year old Yamaha F115 on nothing but cheap 87 and have never had a problem..  Do yourself a favour and install a water/fuel separator if you're really worried about it.   Motors made in the last 10-15 years are designed to run on fuel with ethanol as well.   I'll usually toss in some stabilizer before I put the boat to bed before the winter but that's about the only 'extra' thing I do. 

Supposedly ethanol free is still available to marinas if they choose to order it. Been trying to call the harbour marina at Bronte (Oakville) to see if their pumps have it but I can just imagine that $ per liter

I'm just planning in the fall to have as little as possible in the tank and put in the stabilizer. Fingers crossed it works out as last year I still had 1/2 a tank going into winter prep. So far no issues

41 minutes ago, BillM said:

I've run my 23 year old Yamaha F115 on nothing but cheap 87 and have never had a problem..  Do yourself a favour and install a water/fuel separator if you're really worried about it.   Motors made in the last 10-15 years are designed to run on fuel with ethanol as well.   I'll usually toss in some stabilizer before I put the boat to bed before the winter but that's about the only 'extra' thing I do. 

This ^^^^

I've been running my 2006 4 stroke on ethanol 87 octane from the get go, no issues. And yes, install a water/fuel separator.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fang said:

Good idea on the separator Bill. Been toying with that idea, might be a dock job when I hit Temagami for holidays this month

Super easy.  I run a Yamaha setup linked below, main and kicker attached.   Swap the filter every 2 years or so and you're golden.  Cheap insurance. 

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/accessories/outboard-motor/fuel-system/10-micron-fuelwater-separating-filter-aluminum-assembly/MAR-10MAS-00-00

Edited by BillM

4 hours ago, siwash said:

My motor is a 1991 Johnson. Some of you mentioned that ethanol isn't a problem so much on 21st century motors.  Guess I should look into the separator 

Another thing you might consider given your motors age is getting all of your fuel supply lines changed over to ethanol tolerant lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spiel said:

Another thing you might consider given your motors age is getting all of your fuel supply lines changed over to ethanol tolerant lines.

I believe firmly in swapping out my fuel lines every two years. All of them. Cheap and easy insurance. I've never had fuel problems, but I've seen many folks with deteriorated remains in the system.

With portable tanks I dont worry about a separater. I just dump it my daily driver if it sits for a few months and it's easy to see if there are contaminates in the tank. Built in tanks arent necessarily so easy to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Assume that "ethanol-tolerant" lines are readily available?   I'll have to shop for them.. I guess a marina or amazon?

My marine dealer/mechanic supplied and replaced mine when I had the fuel guage sending unit replaced.
If I recall correctly he said they were E-15 fuel lines....something like that.

2 hours ago, siwash said:

I use sea foam with every fill up and stabil at the end of the season. Assuming this just isn't enough. Do I need to replace the fuel line ASAP or can this wait a few weeks? 

What happens is the ethanol gradually breaks down the fuel line and the minute particles eventually gum up the works in the carb and filters. When changing lines in your case some good preventative maintenance would be to give your carb a good cleaning at the same time and replace the fuel filter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terry said:

The marine industry changed to ethanol proof gas lines and seals inJanuary 1, 2009.

so if your motor is older you may want to change the lines 

Are we talking smith just changing the fuel line? Thanks 

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Natives are once again selling corn free premium gas. Was glad to see them bring it back as the driver of a high power 2 stroke 

But where are they getting it from? The US I assume?

I think they actually have made some investment in a fuel blending facility . Original traders energy.

so I believe they would source corn free high test fuel from a refinery for the purposes of blending and then would essentially leave the fuel uninhibited and give the middle finger to the libs and the corn lobby that demands that their corn go in the gas

• Like 2