A perfect day

Big Cliff

Well I've been waiting all fall for Tim Hale to get his ice huts out and last week I heard that he finally had huts on the perch grounds. John and I had talked and he was interested in getting out so I booked a hut for yesterday. I was pretty excited, John and I hadn't seen each other in a few years and I was looking forward to catching up.

As the weekend progressed and the weather reports started calling for freezing rain, I started to worry that John might have trouble getting here, he had to come from Burlington. Right up until Monday afternoon it was sounding like this might get postponed, I had even let John know that there were no issues if he did have to cancel because the roads were too bad.

Tuesday morning I was awake at 1:30 with a million things going through my head, how were the roads, would John be able to make it, did I have enough food, what was I forgetting.......... There was no way I could go back to sleep so I got up and started. I checked outside, nope no freezing rain yet, weather forecasts, road reports.... so far so good the storm was coming but so far no road closures (at least on major roads).

About 5 am I get a text from John, he's on his way. It's only an hour drive for me but I'm not taking any chances so by 5:30 I have the last of my stuff in the car and I'm out the door. The roads here were clear and dry, I could see the moon through the light clouds, not a drop of rain in sight. By 6:15 I was sitting in McDs in Beaverton having a coffee. A quick call to John to see how he was doing and let him know to meet me there instead of at Tim's.

Fast forward, we're out on the ice and in our hut by about 8:30 just about then the freezing rain started, no worries, we're warm and comfortable and between us we probably had enough food for a couple of days on the ice. The bite was non existent for probably the first hour and a half, I was starting to think this was going to be a day of fishing with very little catching involved. Didn't matter, John is always good company, we talked about life, family, jobs....

Then it happened, a bite! It started off slowly and seemed to come in waves but as the day progressed the size seemed to get bigger and the runs lasted longer, every time the bite died down we'd just reach for another cup of tea or a bite to eat and the fish would turn on again. Most of the fish seemed to be in about the 10" range, we did have a few smaller and quite a few bigger ones with a few real beauties thrown in.

I really can't tell you how many we caught, best guess something around 150 but we didn't keep track. I brought home 23, John just came to have a good day on the ice.

John thanks again for the wonderful company and a stellar day fishing, as promised as soon as Tim gets huts out on the trout/white fish grounds I'll give you a shout.

You guys didn't talk politics did you?

I just replied to a PM from Art. I want to thank him here as I did in the PM. It is obvious the owners don't do this to make money. I will abide by their wishes, it is their site and I respect their wishes whether I agree or not.

Thank you OFC. I'm not going to ban myself like I did on another fishing forum a few months ago. All we have is our integrity and I won't let it get Stomped on for anyone.