Weather warning

Headhunter

After fighting through the ice storm a few years ago, there is very little that gets my dander up, like freezing rain. Those five days in December were some of the worst five days of my life!

So, with the forecast calling for more of that crap in the next day, I thought I'd post this fro those who didn't know.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on61#81317270228589353201701160503ws1171cwto

HH

let's hope this one's 'mild' in comparison.

my home insurance broker keeps asking me why i keep paying a premium for having a wood burner in the house when we have nat gas. i tell him about the 7 days we were without hydro in that december you speak of. the two days last year.. i think he's starting to get it.

Forecasts like this are the exact reason I have an airtight wood stove down stairs in the family room along with 2 cords of hardwood in the shed, a propane insert upstairs in the living room and a stand-by generator that automatically comes on when the power goes out and will run most things in my home.

And my propane was just filled on Friday so I've got about 1200 liters of gas if needed.

I like to be prepared.

Forecasts like this are the exact reason I have an airtight wood stove down stairs in the family room along with 2 cords of hardwood in the shed, a propane insert upstairs in the living room and a stand-by generator that automatically comes on when the power goes out and will run most things in my home.

And my propane was just filled on Friday so I've got about 1200 liters of gas if needed.

I like to be prepared.

Dad is that you? ;)

My fathers set up the same way. Me not so much...

Thx for the heads up HH.

Agree with others the wood stove actually made the last ice storm adventure fun. Kept the whole house at 70F. Candles and my coleman lantern did the rest. The kids even came and stayed overnight...because we had heat and they did not.

Grilled some veggies baked some potatoes and burned some steaks on the BBQ and played cards at the kitchen table by the light of the coleman lantern. Beer and wine chilling outside on the frozen porch.

Bring it on I say.

Thx for the heads up HH.

Agree with others the wood stove actually made the last ice storm adventure fun. Kept the whole house at 70F. Candles and my coleman lantern did the rest. The kids even came and stayed overnight...because we had heat and they did not.

Grilled some veggies baked some potatoes and burned some steaks on the BBQ and played cards at the kitchen table by the light of the coleman lantern. Beer and wine chilling outside on the frozen porch.

Bring it on I say.

Steve, that was awesome. Some think it,s the end of the world when little things like this happen. Just think of how our families past dealt with this. They had nothing we do today, to make it comfortable, as we can now. Then again, they had thier way too.

Steve, that was awesome. Some think it,s the end of the world when little things like this happen. Just think of how our families past dealt with this. They had nothing we do today, to make it comfortable, as we can now. Then again, they had thier way too.

Thx Brian. Give us lemons and we will try our best to make lemonade. Still have camp firewood at the cottage that I scavenged from that ice storm and I also got 2 winters worth of good hardwood for the wood stove here at home.

Like I said....bring it on.

Thank goodness we have NG here. About 16 years ago we had a major March ice storm and lost hydro for 2 or 3 days. Cold but not freezing. Plus 1 or 2. The NG fireplace automatically comes on if there is a power loss at the panel here. No fan and lowest setting. It really saved us some uncomfortable nights. We could cook on the stove, heat water and use the burners for heat during the day. There were wires down along Lakeshore Drive so it wasn't safe to travel plus the trees down along the laneway and low hanging hydro wires we dared not venture out far. We were stuck. At least we got to know a few neighbours as their places didn't have gas and only wood burning especially for the 83 year old lady next door whos wood burner was used as a table for years. I dare not fire it up. I learned how to play euchre, and cheat at it by her. She stayed our guest room. Lots of great pot luck BBQ's as everyone emptied the freezers into coolers on our deck. 3 families, before it was a nice wave hello and that's about it , we all became great friends after that. Actually good times looking back.

There is about 1/2 inch or more of ice on the deck right now, not good if there in the morning.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Due to my wife's asthma, we only use our woodstove for emergency and entertainment (nice to watch on those -20 to -30 nights)... If we have no hydro, I cook on the BBQ...damn cold standing on the back porch sometimes but worth it for a hot cup of coffee in the morning...Has anyone ever tried a foil wrapped meal (like the boy scouts do in a bonfire) in your woodstove?

Edited by Beans

Due to my wife's asthma, we only use our woodstove for emergency and entertainment (nice to watch on those -20 to -30 nights)... If we have no hydro, I cook on the BBQ...damn cold standing on the back porch sometimes but worth it for a hot cup of coffee in the morning...Has anyone ever tried a foil wrapped meal (like the boy scouts do in a bonfire) in your woodstove?

Yes. And its a a really good way to cook provided you think it through a little before hand

Some foods dont cook well in a tinfoil bag method, others are fantastic!

Potatoes obviously, fish and chicken can also be cooked in this method really good.

Deoending on your stove and what your burning though, id suggest keeping a close eye on what your cooking.

I burnt a meal once because the temp on the oldschool woodstove was super hot, probably upward of 8 or 900 degrees

Edited by manitoubass2

If you need salt in a pinch, grab some from your water softener (If you've got one)

That's what I grabbed a bag of as a back up. I still have a 1/4 or less left of driveway salt so I should be good but wanted to give the others a heads up to not go out shopping for salt if you don't have to go out in Lindsay.

I like to be prepared.

Much ice accumulation up there Lew?

Power ok? Lots of limbs down?

Much ice accumulation up there Lew?

Power ok? Lots of limbs down?

Not too bad really, I think maybe we got off OK.

We had several hours of freezing rain and everything has a coating but it's starting to warm up. I used a plastic shovel on the back deck and it lifted the ice right off.

So far the powers still on but the wind seems to be picking up a bit so if it continues we may see the power go out if the tress start snapping.

Weather guys are still calling for freezing rain all night so who knows ??

Right now though my guess would be your place is OK.

Edited by lew

They have been using liquid calcium chloride on the roads out here for a few years, I don't know the cost but it seems to work well. Does nothing for traction though. I bought a case of that pellet stuff cheap at TSC last spring on sale. You only need a bit so if you don't waste it the cost is less than bagged salt.

Glad you guys are all OK up north. There a bit of slush on Lakeshore this morning but nothing to worry about. Went to Hamilton in torrential rain this AM. If all this rain was snow we would be buried this January. We still haven't had enough snow to shovel and not a flake this year yet. I can handle that.

Edited by Old Ironmaker