Your favorite meal, snack, in the hut while fishing

npt1

Ol Ironmaker has some great food , I really like the bread and cheese and prosciutto...

Lots of chilli

We've been going up to Temagami every February since 2001, and we all bring enough food for an army ...

We actually tried ceviche on the ice one time using fresh walleye , it was actually delicious , I found out later that you shouldn't do that with fresh water fish only salt water fish but we were fine.

Always went back out to the hut around 10 pm for the ling fest , as we called it ... brought cigars and scotch....

Great times for sure !!!

Edited by jds63

We actually tried ceviche on the ice one time using fresh walleye , it was actually delicious , I found out later that you shouldn't do that with fresh water fish only salt water fish but we were fine.

In bold of the quote, what's that? Like having sushi, raw fish meat?

In bold of the quote, what's that? Like having sushi, raw fish meat?

Yes ...

The dish is typically made from fresh raw fish cured in citrus juices, such as lemon or lime, and spiced with ají or chili peppers. Additional seasonings, such as chopped onions, salt, and cilantro, may also be added. We filleted some walleye cut up into smaller pieces and let it sit for a few hours in lime juice which actually cooks it, then added all the other ingredients... but like I said I think you should only try it with salt water fish ...

Yes ...

The dish is typically made from fresh raw fish cured in citrus juices, such as lemon or lime, and spiced with ají or chili peppers. Additional seasonings, such as chopped onions, salt, and cilantro, may also be added. We filleted some walleye cut up into smaller pieces and let it sit for a few hours in lime juice which actually cooks it, then added all the other ingredients... but like I said I think you should only try it with salt water fish ...

Ah yes I have heard of this "cooking method" (using citrus) without cooking yet I have never tried it. However I'd be game to give it a go.

Only that Bruce? Geoff, Mr. Noodles? Dave, chocolate bars and tea?

I would be happy to fish with each and everyone of you folks, just remind me to bring the food. Chocolate bars? Come on Dave. You would be what we swarthy olive skinned garlic scented Mediterranean's would be referred to as "Manga Cakes". And it doesn't translate as cake eaters either as most second generation Italians and other Canadians might think it means. Manga means eat and Cake has been morphed from another word entirely. Bruce knows the word.

Bruce you bring the salamutti's and I'll bring the Calabrese bread and home made red. It won't freeze.

We usually pack enough snacks to fit in the pocket

Beacon cheese burgers with my homemade burger patties, is what usually happens for lunch; but we've brought out everything from hot dogs too steaks for the BBQ.

We've had guys from other huts come around, just to see what smells so good.

One time half way through Qing a bunch of burgers, a CO pulls up on his sled. He was being very official, while checking out our licenses and or catch; but he kept eyeing the burgers. When he was done and starting to put his helmet back on; we asked if he'd like a burger. It was funny the about face in personality, as he polished off a couple of burgers. LOL

IMG_0819_zpstv4kl2ah.jpg

Then there's the indoor cooking station, where the home-fries or whatever sides that we bring out.

IMG_0815_zpsyubvstad.jpg

We don't go hungry; for snacks we have kielbasa, deer pepperettes and enough different cheeses too plug-up an elephant. LOL

A fresh or relatively fresh pot of coffee, always on the go; with a bottle of Baileys, tucked in the corner.

Dan.

We usually eat pretty good on our winter "Weekend at Bernie's trip". Of late, we have been bringing pulled pork and beef brisket in vacuum sealed packages.

Coleman stove, drop them in the boiling water and in a few minutes and a few difference BBQ sauces, we are back at it fishing.

HH

PS... there you go eatin that pike bait again Brian! LOL

LOL guys about the hut.

Thanks

You guys never head of Lox & Bagal?

I make it all the time at home.

It's done more or less the same way you would dry brine a salmon filet for smoking; but you don't heat smoke the meat.

After the fillet has been in the brine for as little a 2 hours or up too 24; you wash the brine off in cold water and pat it dry. Then you slice the meat as thin as you possibly can. Coat a bagal with cream cheese and then load it up with the slices of salmon.

I've also cold smoked the fillets after the brine; cold smoking doesn't cook the meat or change the tender flesh; but gives it that perfect smoke taste.

Dan.

lox.jpg

LOL guys about the hut.

Thanks

You guys never head of Lox & Bagal?

I make it all the time at home.

It's done more or less the same way you would dry brine a salmon filet for smoking; but you don't heat smoke the meat.

After the fillet has been in the brine for as little a 2 hours or up too 24; you wash the brine off in cold water and pat it dry. Then you slice the meat as thin as you possibly can. Coat a bagal with cream cheese and then load it up with the slices of salmon.

I've also cold smoked the fillets after the brine; cold smoking doesn't cook the meat or change the tender flesh; but gives it that perfect smoke taste.

Dan.

lox.jpg

DanD you have to be wearing a Tux to eat that!

We usually friend up sausages and moose meat or veal! and homemade salami . . .

Years ago i would have said whatever was in the cupboard at home lol, no uncooked food was safe.

Ive come in the old hut from checking tip ups to find buddies cooking minnows over a candle hahaha no joke he was gonna eat one.

Last year we ordered chinese food and did rock paper scissors for who was gonna ride the sled in to grab it.

Basically, anything and everything on any given day, we have dragged out the webber and done a full charcoal barbaque so id say no food is safe nowawdays.

Fun thread, ill keep the outside stories for another day.