Lip Grippers

mike rousseau

Hey gang

So I usually get 10+ musky a year by accident while fishing for walleye and believe it or not some of the biggest musky I've ever seen have fallen to a walleye crank

Anyways... hand bombing musky up to and over 50" is a challenge to say the least...

My dad has a boga grip that is nice and compact and can easily be stored in the boat at all times... however the boga grips are stupid expensive

Anyone ever use the rapala or Berkeley knock offs?

More importantly on bigger fish?

Let me know what you think of these cheaper alternatives

And to be clear I do target musky and I do handle them properly... this is for the accidental fish I can't plan for

Thanks

The cheaper ones I bought broke. Can't remember brand.

I love my boga I don't lift fish with it but I use it to control its head when in net and unhooking. It was worth the money IMO but I got hooked REALLY bad once so I bought it tighte after that.

I had one of those made by Matsu (?), it broke very quickly. The pins that hold it all together jamb and it actually did that when I had it on a muskie and I was alone. That was quite the ordeal, but I was able to get it off and the muskie revived fine.

Stick with the best on the market and you will only have to buy it once. The long handled one is the best even though a little costly.

I should have taken this advice. LOL

Other than Boga grip,

Evolution Gorilla Grippers are probably the 2nd best in my opinion for handling large fish like musky or king salmon. They have a built in scale and swivel like Boga.

They are sold @ BPS for around $60 Cdn,

Make sure you snug the lanyard around your wrist or have the Grippers on a leash before handling a fish. ?

Edited by stonefish

If your gonna use a gripper to control a big fish close to the boat Mike, try and get one that swivels rather than a solid one. If the solid one is locked onto her jaw and she starts to thrash...which she will... there's every chance you could snap her jaw bone whereas the swivel should just spin without hurting her.

Same as holding a fish up with a solid gripper, all sorts of bad things can happen to her when she tries to break loose.

Why I love my folding 'ski net, no matter what I'm fishing for it's always in the boat and only takes 10 seconds to get it out and ready to scoop.

With a 16' aluminum I dint have a lot of room for something that big in my boat when I'm not planning to use it

When I'm targeting the big girls I don't mind a net taking up spece

After getting some input and doing research it looks like Baker brand stainless steel grip n weigh is next in line after a Boga grips

And they swivel

18"

Regular price is about $70 USD

Tackle direct has the 60lb model on sale right now for $25

At that price I have nothing to lose so I ordered one

Wayne is talking about a Stowmaster net I believe.

A good investment piece for you if it happens so much.

Folds, folds again, and bag wraps around. There is even a bag for it to help prevent tangles and to maintain the net if it just sits in the boat over the years.

https://www.norsemenoutdoors.com/product-category/stowmaster/

Cheers,

Mark

Yep, that's it Mark. Takes up virtually ZERO space in the boat. Sits along the gunnel with my normal telescopic "pickerel" net beside it. ALWAYS in the boat, no matter the species at hand. Also comes in handy when you tag a 40+ inch Lake Trout downrigging as well.

TS116Y.jpg

I don't have first hand in-the-boat experience with it. It was very straight forward when I tried it.

Jim Saric used it on his show.

A capable guy like yourself would have no problem.

Easier and safer than hand-bombing a fish for sure. Better for the fish too. A live-well pen for the fish until it is good to release(especially with Walleye gear).

Cheers,

Mark