Speck and laker bonanza

Joeytier

Team Mini-Lund is back together again at last...

Posted Image

Specks and lakers were on the menu for today. With the late ice-out, I was expecting a most laker-filled day with the squaretails being a little sluggish, but boy was I wrong.

Hit a culvert hole on a feeder stream on the way in, typically a 'one and done' spot. 10 minutes and 5 trout later we were content to get out in the boat.

This system makes some beautiful fish...
Posted Image

Posted Image

The early system pattern on this lake is pretty predictable...large bay in the north end which always holds the warmest water, hardware in the submerged timber and they were on big time. Everywhere you thought one might be, there was.

Posted Image

All cookie cutters today, but it didn't matter.

Eventually we overstayed our welcome, but thankfully this lakes also brimming with lake trout. Flatlined some cyclops and cleos in 20-40 fow and hit 6 lakers in short order. Bug-eaters in this lake it seems, they don't get big but they're very plentiful and purdy to look at...

Posted Image

On the way out we couldn't resist the temptation and flung around a spinner in the stream again just to say goodbye...These fish push in from the lake for a quick meal in the spring so they're not small.  Pretty cool to have 15" brookies smash your cleo in a stream you can spit across.

Posted Image

Pretty excellent start to brookie season and things haven't even really started rolling yet. Still snow in the bush, ice on some lakes and the bugs are a ways away yet!

The first photo with pines reflecting off lake is perfect start.

Incredible trouts.

Reports with pics/video are few and far between on forum these days.

Thanks for this report!

So that what a Speckled Trout looks like. I'm not a trout guy and have yet to get a Brown or a Speckled Trout. They sure are gorgeous. That body of water looks magnificent. Sure beats trolling the back yard of an integrated steel plant and coal fired hydro plant. The scenery is what I miss most here on this inland sea called Erie. 360 degrees of nothing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Fantastic report and beauty fish. I managed to get out 2 weekends ago, the ice had gone out on the Tuesday-boat in by Saturday. Nothing like lakers in 12 feet of water.

It is the most wonderful time of the year :)