What is it with young people today? NF

Big Cliff

If I was closer I'd almost do it for $15 an hour.. I charge $18 for side jobs which is actually low.. if I do them in the future I will be charging more. I get enough offers to do it full time but most people don't appreciate what someone's labor should be, especially when it comes to painting and minor renovations. Working 12 hour shifts with side jobs leaves me with no time to fish but the only money that comes into our house is from mine and my wife's labor.. we both have had some tough times growing up so work ethic is important to us.. at one point in our lives as kids we were both homeless so I don't think it's a coincidence that we ended up together.... my daughter will never know that hardship if she learns about working for something..

I apologize for making what was probably a fairly personal attack. I don't know you personally, but I get really tired of hearing "what's wrong with kids these days?" it's pretty tough to blame someone for living as they've been taught or as they figure is acceptable in a world they've inherited. It wasnt kids who invented, popularized or even bought (most likely) the phones you can't stand seeing them on all the time. You can hardly blame most people for not wanting to take a menial job when they've been told they should expect a $60,000 job right out of school, and doing a job search these days for a decent career type job is a full time job of its own.

Again, I probably should stop talk this personally. But we were not the ones who determined what our expectations should be, told us we're all special, or gave us participation trophies. We didn't demand to be coddled or have everything handed to us on a platter. But let's be honest, we do have it easier than you did in a lot of respects, just like you had it easier than your parents. Society changes and evolves.

Maybe you should hire a Mexican :)

Edited by Mister G

What a bunch of CRAP.......

I have two sons, probably around your age.......one was VERY gifted and became a doctor......the other not so much but will out work you everyday and twice on Sundays......

He also went to college and surprise all of us while there..........he worked all kinds of jobs to stay in school that was 3 hours away........his first year he did a student work program whenever he could. From there when school let out he worked in a nearby furniture refinishing factory sanding down wooden furniture and NEVER complained to us.....then he cut grass for some of the professors at his college.....

He went on to graduate but still needed to do a intership......,he found another college that wanted him to coach, which took him almost 300 miles away from everyone, including his college sweetheart.....he never complained at all...........just went and did it for a year.......

When he returned to his college to visit his college sweetheart he stopped in and said hi to his old coach.....that head coach offered him to coach there and offered him a chance to get his masters degree........he jumped on it like stink on a money....

From there he married his college sweetheart and they bought a home in that college town....

Two years later she didn't get the promotion she wanted and went online for a better job......

Today they live a huge 4 bedroom 2.5 bath home with one daughter and another daughter on the way, making six times the amount they were in the small college town that they went to...

So yes, HARD WORK and determination does pay off and don't give me that crap about having to work menial jobs at first because keeping a goal in sight can and does happen to those WHO WORK FOR IT ! ! !

For my other son..........well his education has him rolling in money.......he's ALWAYS trying to buy us something.....but you know what.........just spending time with him, his wife and daughter is more then we can ask for.

I stayed away til I seen your post Steve.

YOU ARE BANG ON

And for the pay they are getting, they still put in a full effort. More effort like you said then a full timer.

I guess while Im at it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, CLIFF

REALLY?

Brian (and others)

You are right, my feelings were hurt and I spoke words in anger that I never should have said!

I've been batteling some sort of a bug, working crazy hours and thought I was offering him a chance to pick up some extra cash, help mom and I out, and perhaps just spend a bit of time together. I guess I need to grow up somewhat!

OIM as far as me taking a job away from some young person, two things; I'm not working because I want to, I have to keep working because I couldn't live on the $1300.00 a month pension I get! No youngsters seem to want to work for $16.00 an hour anyway.

I have had a few young people tell me they can't find work and have no money, the minute I hand them a rake or a shovel they are gone.

sorry dont post on weekends, but guys basically I realize now i should have taken a trade, but its too late im too far into my career to take one. The reason for this is that I was outright guided by the school system to not go into the trades.

Unless you were a "dummy" and taking applied courses, you were outright encouraged to do anything but become a tradesman...and that is so wrong its disgusting.

what worries me even more is that now a large group of tradesmen are the druggiess and losers from highschool because all of the kids that actually tried in school were told not to take trades. Incredible really. You could be failing school, but the trades was the back up...thats not right at all!

Edited by AKRISONER

sorry dont post on weekends, but guys basically I realize now i should have taken a trade, but its too late im too far into my career to take one. The reason for this is that I was outright guided by the school system to not go into the trades.

Unless you were a "dummy" and taking applied courses, you were outright encouraged to do anything but become a tradesman...and that is so wrong its disgusting.

what worries me even more is that now a large group of tradesmen are the druggiess and losers from highschool because all of the kids that actually tried in school were told not to take trades. Incredible really. You could be failing school, but the trades was the back up...thats not right at all!

Is it ever too young or old to take a trade?

OK, since I started:

I am a certified:

Brakeman

Conductor

Hiab Operator

Pitman Operator

I have driven Tractilor Trailer throught Canada and the US

I was a Senior Field Operator at INCO's IPC plant in both the Reactor and Decomposer units

I've run skidders in the bush D8 Cats, articularting loaders

I'm certified on forklifts and Raymond Reach Trucks (and a few other things)

I am also certified as a welding inspector and teacher speacilazing in recovery technicques

At 60 I went back to school, did an apprenticeship and became a certified and licensed small engine technician

I am now 70 and just recently compleated my DZ drivers training and qualified for my DZ license.

You are never too old unless you think you are too old!

Certified (well maby not in the right way)

Ark

Easiest job out.

Get your heavy duty operating equipment and apply at the mines.

Sit in a cozy ride and listen to sirius sat all day long for 35 and hour

If your on EI I think you can even get the 6 week course paid for

Edited by manitoubass2

True enouh

Love listening to 50+ years old people criticizing the next younger generation. Like they they(we) have any damn idea what it's like to be 25 years old in 2016. They are faced with a multitude of pressures that didn't even exist 40 years ago. The post Lucas put up nailed it. It's easy to ramble on with the "I did this" and "I did that" but under what circumstances? What inflation rate, housing costs, cost of living? What about globalization and the effects that has had on the job market and the pressure to increase the base level education.

There is nothing wrong with this generation. Just like our parents were wrong when they made general criticisms about our whole generation. Kids will figure it out, just like us. And they'll do it their way, not our way...j

I also have heard similar things, working at a BMW dealership years back talking to a financial planner he said you'd be shocked how many people are 'house poor' in Burlington Oakville etc, have the nice house but can't afford to do anything with their lives other than pay to hold onto that house

Hear Yah--Was true for myself Lucas and others and my nuclear family of 4--nay nay on the BMW-Broke My Wallet--did not do my homework-in-advance-House Poor-lessons learned--closing costs--oh yah there is this fee pal--oh didn't your real estate lawyer-Toronto Dude--inform you we close with a new Survey-on demand 1800 skin$

Bottom Line--borrowed a lawn mower--until i could afford my own

It happens

Tight Lines and straight shooting

Paul

Cliff, if you drove tractor trailer in Canada and the US then you should have a AZ license and not need a DZ license ? ? ?

That was right after I got out of the army and in those days all you needed was a chauffers license

As previously stated its never too late to take a trade, I work in a fairly large company and currently we have 4 apprentices starting a new career that are at the youngest 38 and oldest 46, it's funny being 25 and directing someone who has 20 years on me.

Time to sell everything, move into a small low maint. place, change the will to leave nothing to the son (he doesn't seem to need or want any help).

Old, tired, frustrated!

Seems like you have a few family issues to resolve.

What a drag it is getting old.

trades aren't what they once were.

very few long term jobs....mostly contract jobs.

lots of layoffs.

very little job security.

big players (employers) are all gone...for the most part...now small shops that'll pay you 20 bucks an hour....

My father is an industrial electrician who should be retired. instead his company when bankrupt about 8 years ago...he has had low paying, contract, or low security jobs ever since.

best place to play these days, for high paying, high security jobs.... the medical field.

Edited by Steve

It is true that they did nothing to push the trades in High School, which is very sad, there will be a huge shortage in a few years. If I wasn't an AV Technician I would have probably been an electrician or carpenter.

All i had was wood shop. They did teach us basic elictrical work though.

But thats it. It was a huge push for university

And we did "oac" classes to ready us for that

Edited by manitoubass2

trades aren't what they once where.

very few long term jobs....mostly contract jobs.

lots of layoffs.

very little job security.

big players (employers) are all gone...for the most part...now small shops that'll pay you 20 bucks an hour....

My father is an industrial electrician who should be retired. instead his company when bankrupt about 8 years ago...he has had low paying, contract, or low security jobs ever since.

best place to play these days, for high paying, high security jobs.... the medical field.

Get in the mines. The trades arent dying.

You just need to look in the right places

An RN is a great way to go outside of trades however

So is engineering

Edited by manitoubass2

Medical is booming in Hamilton I'm trying to get the girlfriend to upgrade some of her courses and get into pharm tech or something along thoshe lines, pays nice and if you get into a hospital you get the pension and benefits and pretty good security.

More than likely will be a few years and I'll keep the boat afloat while she goes to school while on mat leave (couple years down the road lol)

Also when I was in school the trades were pushed, but just the typical electrician plumber etc, not the ones that happen behind the scenes that no one ever sees like sheet metal, refrigeration, gas tech,

Auto class was pushed along with woodshop too.

Edited by Lucas F

All i had was wood shop. They did teach us basic elictrical work though.

But thats it. It was a huge push for university

And we did "oac" classes to ready us for that

We had the best shop classes anywhere @ my high school.

There was an electrical/electronics shop, wood shop, drafting, metal/machine/welding shop and a 4 bay auto shop.

It was totally kick donkey!!!! :good: :good: