mechanics on board help? NF

manitoubass2

If I have a customer's vehicle here and I suspect a fuel contamination issue; I supply an alternate fuel supply to the fuel rail. I understand that you wont have the equipment to do this; I just want you to know that there's an easy way for a shop to tell you whether it is or is not contaminated fuel.

Here's what the fuel system cleaner tool looks like.

08836_Universal_Fuel_Injector_Cleaner_Ki

Just a few simple steps for them and the fact that your vehicles (with help) still run, will make this test even easier.

Disable the fuel pump, connect the hose from the injector cleaning tool to the fuel rails schrader test port

Attach the arousal can of cleaner to the tool, Adjust the pressure reg to the required pressure for your fuel system and start the engine.

Once the suspected bad fuel has been used up and the cleaner gets in there, the engine should begin to run normally; if it was contaminated fuel.

Dan.

The possibilities are all but infinite; but for 2 vehicles to have the same symptoms? I would begin looking at the common denominator; which is their fuel.

Another would be what the weather could have done to them; where they both wet under the hood; due to wind blowing rain/snow in?

If so borrow the wife's blow dryer and get things dried out the best you can; especially around ignition wires and coils.

Dan.

The possibilities are all but infinite; but for 2 vehicles to have the same symptoms? I would begin looking at the common denominator; which is their fuel.

Another would be what the weather could have done to them; where they both wet under the hood; due to wind blowing rain/snow in?

If so borrow the wife's blow dryer and get things dried out the best you can; especially around ignition wires and coils.

Dan.

Both are dry under the hood dan. Havent had rain or snow in about a week or so and the vehicles are somewhat sheltered.

No word from friends having a similar issue filling up at the same place

Edited by manitoubass2

If you wanted too go redneck, there is a way to provide fresh fuel under pressure to the fuel rail; with the use of a pump up weed sprayer. The ones that look like a scuba diver's tank.

Like I said redneck and you'd need to make sure the hose from the sprayer to the fuel rail can handle the 45-60 psi needed.

But here's how.

Pull the fuel pump relay (In the under hood fuse/relay box) and make sure the pump does not run (listen at the tank) while trying to start the engine.

Disconnect the in-coming fuel line at the fuel rail.

Connect sprayer hose to fuel rail; securing with clamps

Add a couple of liters of gas to the sprayer.

Pump up the sprayer until it becomes quite hard to pump.

Attempt starting.

If it starts, allow the suspect fuel in the rail to be used up and fresh fuel from the sprayer is being fed to the injectors.

If it begins to run "normally" you found the problem and you're now draining the fuel tank and lines.

My first fuel system cleaning kit was just a glorified weed sprayer; but made from material that was not affected by gasoline.

For a one time use, any sprayer would likely do?

Dan.

Dan.

OMG does that bring back a memory when I was 17. Big snow/wind storm. Coronet was facing the wind. Thought nothing of it. Go in to start the next morning, and she wouldnt fire. So pop the hood, lift to see 4 inches of snow covering the engine. I had 3 hair dryers going for 2 days to get it dried out. After that, I would throw a blanket on the engine (once cooled) so it wouldnt happen again. LOL

Even if it was sugar in the tank, the car would have started fine. Don't forget the system is already primed and ready to go. It would have started fine, then started to run badly a few mins later when the fuel filter got contaminated.

Might sound crazy but was there a lightning strike near your cars over night.

Freshtrax I hear u u are going electrical computer maybe. Good thought

How empty were gas tanks gas floats over water maybe sucked condensation in but again that would be sheer coincidence. Just a thought. Please Rick let us know the outcome to a very unusual happening

No idea? But id think if that happened others nearbye would be effected too???

Ill keep yas updated. Nothing going on yet, tow truck is delayed again. "We hope to be there by the weekend" ughh.

No vehicles seriously sucks. I gotta borrow my mother in laws car tomorrow to get groceries lol. I feel like a teenager

Not crazy at all.

I have had a couple customer's cars over the years; that were directly & indirectly hit. One was written off by the insurance and the other, we were allowed to repair.

Didn't know what was going on with the one we repaired; it came in as a no crank & battery dead. After finding that the battery wouldn't take a charge and replaced; there were still no communications with any of the modules (computers). Then I noticed that the radio antenna was chard and twisted up like a pig's tail. Called the customer and asked if there was a storm in her area. She said yes, the pole light in front of her house was hit; which took out most of the electronics in her house.

Ended up replacing 90% of the modules in the car, along with the starter and alternator. The funny thing was, the radio survived and that's where the lightening Via the antenna came in?

Dan.