mechanics on board help? NF

manitoubass2

My 2001 jeep liberty and 2011 chevy traverse both have the same issue(s)

Woke up yesterday and neither will start?

Engine light on in both(outta knowhere)

The vehicles start if you give gas but as soon as you let of it dies.

All you can smell is that a burning gas, both vehicles.

Did someone sugar or water my tanks?

When you start them the vehicle just shakes and sound like its starving for gas. Rpms go up past 3000 just touching the peddle.

Both vehicles were completely fine the day before.

Any thoughts? Things I should look at? Should I syphon the tanks?

Leave it to pros and have them towed???

That seems real odd Rick,you would hate to think someone would do something like that. You know a friend locally to check it out. Sounds a bit like foul play to me ??.Even if yu were to siphon the tanks,that imo,is not enough if it is a gas contaminant. . Hopefully someone else here can shed some light?.Good luck !

I had similar issues with my 96 Ford Explorer (starving for gas, only runs with foot on the pedal) and it turned out to be a very dirty fuel filter that was causing problems.

What's strange about your situation is that both cars were fine the day before and now both are experiencing the same issues...and the traverse is hardly 5 years old..

Good luck with it and hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

FF17

Well I gotta say you're lucky.... Why?... Because you say the engine light is on on both. Don't jump to any conclusions, just hook up with a scanner.

It's the first thing you do when the engine light is on.

Possibilities are, IAC (idle air control valve, vacuum leak, bad connections somewhere causing a myriad of codes.) Just hook up, it will tell you where to start. Report back on your findings.

first you need to take a fuel sample if possibe, but sounds like fuel contamination to me, just went through this with a caravan someone put deisel in, by the time i changed the plugs drained and flushed the tanks and lines was $1100 touch

first you need to take a fuel sample if possibe, but sounds like fuel contamination to me, just went through this with a caravan someone put deisel in, by the time i changed the plugs drained and flushed the tanks and lines was $1100 touch

Sorry, but the first and easiest thing to do is hook up, it's a no brainier especially when his vehicles are telling him their sick..... Cheapest also....

Have you seen Pigeontroller in the neighborhood lately???

???

Thanks for any/all advice.

If it was just straight up bad gas Id tend to think id hear about it as I know probably 50 people that fill up at the same place everyday(but it is possible)

Guess im SOL till tuesday

g

Sorry, but the first and easiest thing to do is hook up, it's a no brainier especially when his vehicles are telling him their sick..... Cheapest also....

guess everyone must have a scan tool code reader these days and still don't mean squat if you cant understand how diagnosis the code, no I can open a fuel line pretty quick and cycle key in my driveway, code reader don't tell u its bad fuel best you get is p0300 multible misfire which is wide open to causes but thought he wanted a professional opinion oh well

g

guess everyone must have a scan tool code reader these days and still don't mean squat if you cant understand how diagnosis the code, no I can open a fuel line pretty quick and cycle key in my driveway, code reader don't tell u its bad fuel best you get is p0300 multible misfire which is wide open to causes but thought he wanted a professional opinion oh well

All good bud, that helps. I suppose I should call insurance before syphoning???

Just in case? What the heck does a guy do in this situation?

Since both vehicles did run for abit before crapping out the next day Im assuming some damage is done?

Rick I'm thinking that your nasty neighbour got someone to sabotage your vehicles. But as mentioned it's probably bad gas. Try a bottle of gas line antifreeze first.

Cheers

EC is helping me out!(thanks bud!)

I hope thats not the case lol. Id prefer not to think that way.

Funny thing is, everyone I in this area gasses up at the same spot(including our work trucks) so it does kinda make the mind wander abit.

But who knows? Maybe its just crap luck/bad timing and something unrelated all together.

We shall see on tuesday

Picture this scenario, where i work, at a shop rate of almost $130, could you imagine telling a customer we "think" it's bad fuel, so we'll start with a fuel sample, break the locking clip for the fuel line, and now tell the customer we haven't figured anything out yet, but to start, we need to order a fuel line. God knows how expensive parts are nowadays.

Hope you solve your issues Manitoubass.... I'd be interested in knowing the outcome.

I was just giving you the steps we follow to triage issues.

Edited by Smokercrafty