Need to fight speeding ticket. NF

captpierre

Got caught by OPP coming the other way on HWY 35 south of Lindsay.

He told me I was going 115km/hr. Limit is 80.

I may have been going a little fast but not 35 over.

Ticket is $271 and 4 pts.

I'd like to fight this.

There has been a lot of talk on CBC about radar calibration problems.

I wonder if there are added accuracy issues with the OPP car also moving towards me as well.

I'll be talking to my insurance broker tomorrow.

Anybody have any suggestions? X-COPPER?

Thanks

See if they have early resolution, set an appointment with the prosecutor and see what they offer you. Most often you can plead out on

your own without paying a paralegal. Most of them are mopes anyway. If you don't like the deal the prosecutor offers you, tell them you need to retain council and get a paralegal.

I've never done it for a ticket from OPP, only metro. Not sure it makes a difference or not. If you can take the time off work, just go in to court. It won't make it worse, and may get you off completely. Basically you plead guilty and they most likely will give you a lesser charge. If the officer doesn't show up, you get off completely.

I understand what some are saying in paying the ticket and moving on but I will advise you not to do that , especially with a 4 point ticket .

Not sure if you are aware of how infractions work but a 4 point ticket is considered a major infraction with your insurance company and you

don't want that . Any infraction under that is considered a minor infraction and that is what you want to get the ticket reduced to . Remember

the point system is a ministry of transportation thing and really has nothing to do with your insurance company so any major infraction like

yours and your premium will almost always go up . Also when the police say to you no points with your ticket , that's fine but it is still a minor

infraction with your insurance company and that is what really counts and as long as you don't have a string of infractions on your record you should be ok . So your

best bet is to fight it yourself by calling for a first appearance and talking to the crown on your appearance date . Been several times and have

always had my infraction reduced. Good luck !

they may as in most cases reduce the fine but never the points.....been there done that if you plead guilty with explanation as they call it,you will get the dollars reduced but NOT THE POINTS...that's the problem...

X2....had a $268 dropped to $90 but they couldn't reduce points.

If you have a clean driving record, it's probably worth your time to try get it dropped.

Several years ago, I got clocked speeding and the Police Officer told me that due to my good driving record, there was a good chance I could have my fine reduced and points dropped. so I took her advice and was happy I did.

Spoke with my insurance broker. ( a friend)

He said just to pay it.

He said unless the ticket is dismissed the points remain even if the ticket is reduced.

Said insurance rates will likely not go up unless they check my record. Which us unlikely since I'm a long time client with no claims.

If I do claim for an accident or lose more pts I could be screwed.

Thanks Everybody for your inputs.

Always good to get several opinions.

Spoke with my insurance broker. ( a friend)

He said just to pay it.

He said unless the ticket is dismissed the points remain even if the ticket is reduced.

Said insurance rates will likely not go up unless they check my record. Which us unlikely since I'm a long time client with no claims.

If I do claim for an accident or lose more pts I could be screwed.

Thanks Everybody for your inputs.

Always good to get several opinions.

If the cop doesn't show up; the ticket will be dismissed. If he does, you may be able to plead guilty to a lesser charge and fewer or no points.

Um... Unfortunately your friend is wrong. If you are convicted of the speed your were travelling or 16kmph or higher above the speed limit then yes you would receive points. If you plead to 15kmpj over or under that speed then you receive no points. That being said, insurance companies look at convictions not points

I used to question fighting tickets and never did it when I was younger, now they can affect my job so when I was hit with a ticket similar to the one you are talking about I decided to fight it.

Man am I ever glad I did.

Showed up to court, the crown calls my name and brings me into an office, reviews what I am there for, I agree, he says he would reduce it to "failing to obey a sign" 2 points, I said I was hoping for no points as it affects my job, he said to take what I am offered and to remember this; when your insurance company asks you if you have any speeding tickets you can still say no because you now have a ticket for failing to obey a sign.......nice guy

Into court I go, judge reads our agreement and asks me if I am good with it, I agree, pay the fine and I am done.

I could have went in there and said yes 3 times and left, I was all prepared with my long winded explanation to fight it...no need.

In and out in 20 minutes, WELL worth my time.

Fight it, they don't put up much of a fight.