Shooting in binbrook

leaf4

Dunno if anyone else has heard about it yet, the guys truck was in the process of getting jacked at 3am he shot the guy and ended up having good aim, unfortunately for the shooter and himself as he's now facing second degree murder charges. 26 years old

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/6263150-update-glanbrook-homeowner-charged-with-second-degree-murder

I couldn't get your link to open but I did find this one.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-homeowner-who-confronted-suspected-truck-thief-charged-with-murder-1.3433230

I hope he shot him while he was facing him, at least then he could claim the guy was attacking and he feared for his life.

ahhh heck, I'm sure I'll take flak from the gun folks on this board but.......

his vehicle was getting stolen...his family was not in danger, he was not in danger, he had no right to shoot and kill anyone!

Call the cops.

A quick call to 911 advising that you are WATCHING someone steal your truck will have cops there before he gets on the road (right FfA?).

You can't shoot and kill people that are stealing your property. Not in this country!

his vehicle was getting stolen...his family was not in danger, he was not in danger, he had no right to shoot and kill anyone!

Call the cops.

A quick call to 911 advising that you are WATCHING someone steal your truck will have cops there before he gets on the road (right FfA?).

You can't shoot and kill people that are stealing your property. Not in this country!

See my post above.

You are correct.

You have the right to defend your life, your families life on your property.

Although a vehicle is your property, its not posing an immediate threat.

As much as I dislike thieves, the property owner is not judge, jury and executioner.

His charge is justifiable imo

This one sheds a bit more light, apparently there was an altercation, and its just who you think it'd be, sorry to say.

https://hamiltonpolice.on.ca/community/news/2016/02/news-release-homicide-detectives-charge-binbrook-man-second-degree-murder

Its tough owning a truck out haldimand/Norfolk way, a buddies dad has had his 2006 Silverado stolen, replaced with a similar one, stolen again, replaced with another and then stolen and replaced with his current, the last one was kinda funny, he was golfing in the afternoon with a buddy off of hwy 6, end of the day comes and he goes to his truck, only its not there anymore. An older truck with a slot screwdriver is running beside where his used to be

Edited by Lucas F

Call the cops.

Nope, totally agree with you Steve. There was no imminent threat to life so he should have called the cops, even if truck was long gone. Sorry but there are consequences for discharging a firearm and he's now looking at it. A very quick decision has affected two lives, and more, if he had family.

Call the cops.

Agreed. If I'm being honest though I probably would have just beaten the guy, then called the cops.

Call the cops.

As an avid gun owner and enthusiast, I agree. Funny how so many people are almost happy to see someone get killed for merely attempting to steal a vehicle.

As soon as I found out it was an older chev I kinda had an idea of what happened.. this has been going on for as far back as I can remember.. it happened to me 20 years ago when my truck was stolen and found burned out on the edge of the reserve. The problem here is a big one but there is little political willpower to fix it. Like Tims wife Sharlene said " it's just a truck ".. it isn't worth anyone dying for but when you are young your stuff can be very important to you.. now that I'm older I realize that my family is the most precious thing I have.. harm them and you will pay the ultimate price. What I don't get is why was he stealing a truck? This guy is a member of the styres family which is very wealthy !!

Call the cops.

You won't get any flack from this gun guy. On the face of it, a simple call to the police would have been the right choice. Yes it sucks to have your property stolen, but we have insurance for that. It doesn't sound like this thief was breaking down the front door of the house with a rusty pickaxe screaming I'll kill you. If that where the case it's a fair shoot in my mind, but I'm not killing anyone over my truck.

You won't get any flack from this gun guy. On the face of it, a simple call to the police would have been the right choice. Yes it sucks to have your property stolen, but we have insurance for that. It doesn't sound like this thief was breaking down the front door of the house with a rusty pickaxe screaming I'll kill you. If that where the case it's a fair shoot in my mind, but I'm not killing anyone over my truck.

???

I was working nights so I didn't hear the shot.. I know a neighbor there and the consensus in the area is that if you don't steal or trespass, then you won't get shot.. ouch

As someone who has had vehicles broken into and being lucky enough to physically deter an attempted robbery while my wife and young children were in the other room, I say screw any dirtbag who violates your rights and they all belong in a hole. They deserve zero sympathy and whatever they get from any brave person who decides to go against the Canadian way and actually defend themselves and their property.

I sure hope there is a support page of some sort started for this man.

That said, the only thing the article says is "The resident, Peter KHILL while armed with a firearm confronted the man. During the confrontation the man attempting to steal the truck died as a result of gunshot related injuries.". We haven't a clue if the guy ran out there shooting away or confronted the thief and demanded that he leave or be shot before the thief attacked him. After reading about the man I would assume he showed self control and was attacked by the thief and defended himself. Need more details...